Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Can we trade media with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I like to point this out but when people talk about a unitary healthcare system, they're missing the forest for the trees. You really have three primary components each trying to squeeze the most amount of money out of the other and in turn out of consumers.

Are you implying that the free market has some kind of flaw?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

JohnCompany posted:

Basically that states have proven themselves unable to implement it and either the states themselves or SCOTUS should abolish it. She waffles on the federal death penalty, saying that it's appropriate for certain, very rare cases - Oklahoma City, for one.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/us/politics/transcript-of-the-democratic-presidential-debate.html

That's not "waffling" it's nuance

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

It is only a matter of time before expiration date lockouts are implemented, similar to inhalers disabling themselves after X metered doses despite medication still remaining in the cartridge.

Wonder if someone will get prosecuted under DMCA for bypassing that...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yinlock posted:

Are you implying that the free market has some kind of flaw?

Sounds more like the idea of Single Payer being a one stop solution is fundamentally flawed.

After all, Medicare is a single payer solution and prices are still high because they're barred from negotiating prices.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I like to point this out but when people talk about a unitary healthcare system, they're missing the forest for the trees. You really have three primary components each trying to squeeze the most amount of money out of the other and in turn out of consumers.

Its worse than that, in an effort to maximize profits, you now have insurance groups establishing Health Clinics to cut out the middle man.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Guys Hillary's down to 75% on FiveThirtyEight. I'm Arzying so hard! :supaburn:

How's she looking in the state polls? I'm assuming it's still more than fantastic.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Keep arzying cause they're going down too:

https://twitter.com/538politics/status/771331324821078017

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CascadeBeta posted:

Guys Hillary's down to 75% on FiveThirtyEight. I'm Arzying so hard! :supaburn:

How's she looking in the state polls? I'm assuming it's still more than fantastic.

Ya she's ahead still in every swing state, with comfy margins in states that add up to well over 270 EV

Rasmussen just had a ridiculous tracker poll but if tracking polls aren't entirely stupid and pointless then this election hasn't done much to disabuse me of this belief

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I still wish Obama had the willpower to push for a public option, but I can't get too upset because I qualified for the medicaid expansion.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't get how the takeaway here is that Clinton has no EV advantage tbqh

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

This is about the point where she had to kick it into first gear rather than wait for Trump shooting himself in the foot anyway.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Also keep in mind that the media are currently dog-piling Hillary for nothing whatsoever, they've just realized she's given them no ammo and are super-desperate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

I don't get how the takeaway here is that Clinton has no EV advantage tbqh

Nate needs clicks!

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Basically the prices were always really expensive...
Your entire post depends upon this premise, but the interesting thing is why this is the case. How much was spent on R&D development (not counting funds provided by the government), including failed attempts? How much was spent on getting approval? How much does the machinery that makes it cost? How much does each unit cost in raw materials? Who are the middlemen between the manufacturer and final patient, and what are their markups?

It's not hard to find out how much a unit costs to produce. The question then is how much is reasonable to charge patients above this.

Of course, the argument tends to be that they need to charge an outrageous amount for a final product, because R&D and approval is incredibly expensive, and only a small number of their attempts make it all the way through. They need to charge exorbitant rates, otherwise they can't develop anything new. And this seems persuasive, because ultimately everyone recognizes that development of new medical products is a public good, and needs to be funded. But most people don't complete the logical circle, and realize that purchasing an epipen at an exorbitant price today so that someone else can buy the latest boner pill tomorrow is a kind of tax to fund a public good. But not everyone is paying the tax, only sick people. And that is a fundamental problem that government should address.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

zoux posted:

Nate needs clicks!

Like, if Trump had those numbers I'd already be carving a new life for myself out in the Canadian wilderness

But Clinton does and all of a sudden it's irrelevant

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Like, if Trump had those numbers I'd already be carving a new life for myself out in the Canadian wilderness

Maybe cause the leads have shrunk, in some cases by 50%, in 2 weeks?

Tho I think in some of these there were no new polls, they just adjusted them down to reflect the national polls.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

In Nate Silver's opinion, Clinton's lead is as secure as O+1.3 was in 2012. There are a lot of other pollsters who disagree.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Are there any good books which examine in detail the differences in healthcare systems between major countries and what kind of outcomes they achieve? I'd really like to learn more about whats the difference between say England's single payer system and Germany's multiplayer system and what kind of results they produce.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh please, just look at USPOL on June 12.
Re-read his original post. His statement was that liberals can't decide who to support when one group they agree with shoots another they agree with, just like conservatives with groups they hate. There's no loving equivalency between a group that generally abhors and decries violence and a group that embraces it (though usually in a tacit, deniable fashion).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Your entire post depends upon this premise, but the interesting thing is why this is the case. How much was spent on R&D development (not counting funds provided by the government), including failed attempts? How much was spent on getting approval? How much does the machinery that makes it cost? How much does each unit cost in raw materials? Who are the middlemen between the manufacturer and final patient, and what are their markups?

It's not hard to find out how much a unit costs to produce. The question then is how much is reasonable to charge patients above this.

Of course, the argument tends to be that they need to charge an outrageous amount for a final product, because R&D and approval is incredibly expensive, and only a small number of their attempts make it all the way through. They need to charge exorbitant rates, otherwise they can't develop anything new. And this seems persuasive, because ultimately everyone recognizes that development of new medical products is a public good, and needs to be funded. But most people don't complete the logical circle, and realize that purchasing an epipen at an exorbitant price today so that someone else can buy the latest boner pill tomorrow is a kind of tax to fund a public good. But not everyone is paying the tax, only sick people. And that is a fundamental problem that government should address.

And how much is spent on advertising? How much is spent on putting ads for Fuckitol on TV/Radio/Billboards everywhere? How much is spent giving kickbacks to doctors every time they prescribe the newest opiate? How much is spent lobbying? How much is spent on executive bonuses after raising the price of a drug delivery system that was perfected years ago?

Yes, poo poo's expensive, however it shouldn't be nearly as expensive as it is. There has been a very real three way price gouging war between pharmaceuticals, insurance agencies and service providers for decades that's left us in this place.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

"HRC Doesn't Have an EC Advantage," I think means "it's rather unlikely she wins the EC and loses the popular vote", not "she doesn't have a clear lead where Trump needs to pick off every swing state, and depending on how you feel about NH/PA/WI, one of those needs to be a swing state too."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Geostomp posted:

This is about the point where she had to kick it into first gear rather than wait for Trump shooting himself in the foot anyway.

Trump's foot has been completely pulverized out of the way and he's just shooting the floor now.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Because white-collar criminals don't go to prison.

:confused: Are you implying all white-on-white crime is strictly white-collar?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I believe nothing.

Religious goon: Oh no you don't!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Are there any good books which examine in detail the differences in healthcare systems between major countries and what kind of outcomes they achieve? I'd really like to learn more about whats the difference between say England's single payer system and Germany's multiplayer system and what kind of results they produce.

http://www.healthpowerhouse.com/files/EHCI_2014/EHCI_2014_report.pdf

This ranks the healthcare of the EU countries.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/bill-clinton-used-tax-dollars-to-subsidize-foundation-private-email-support-teneo-227613

quote:

Bill Clinton's staff used a decades-old federal government program, originally created to keep former presidents out of the poorhouse, to subsidize his family’s foundation and an associated business, and to support his wife’s private email server, a POLITICO investigation has found.

ohhh boy

e: to be clear, the article outright says there's nothing illegal here. But it is, as they say, not a good look

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

emdash posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/bill-clinton-used-tax-dollars-to-subsidize-foundation-private-email-support-teneo-227613

ohhh boy

e: to be clear, the article outright says there's nothing illegal here. But it is, as they say, not a good look

Yeah, I hate how people can just spend their pension on whatever they want.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

emdash posted:

ohhh boy

https://twitter.com/brianefallon/status/771328439936745472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Former_Presidents_Act

Unless...this article is about standard government practice that is pretending like it's sinister because it's Hillary Clinton....(it's Bill Clinton but you know who really wears the pants in that family!!)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nate Silver tends to be pretty cautious in his projections and sometimes leans towards arzying.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

Unless...this article is about standard government practice that is pretending like it's sinister because it's Hillary Clinton....

Like it's literally a pension. That's why it was set up, because Truman was such a sad sack.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

Like it's literally a pension. That's why it was set up, because Truman was such a sad sack.

Tax Payer Funds!!! Lines between things blurred!!!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

zoux posted:

Unless...this article is about standard government practice that is pretending like it's sinister because it's Hillary Clinton....(it's Bill Clinton but you know who really wears the pants in that family!!)

I agree. I don't post this stuff to arzy, I post it so that when Trump says in a speech within ~36 hours that the Clintons spent tax dollars on their foundation, the thread will know where it came from

e: yes I had in my post that there was nothing illegal, no need for the jump quote haha

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mikememoli/status/771109294800564225

Oh baby.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

max4me posted:

I am going to assume you mean minorities as in (none whites).

my concern comes from the fact that minorities are not a monolithic bloc, and I doubt there is much solidarity between all the different groups.

I've talked about my retarded fox news watching friend in other threads.

But he likes to say "Mexican, Blacks, and Muslims are really conservatives they just dont know it but yeah they are if you look at social issues like gay marriage, etc you know blacks are very religious etc"

He does this when I point out how his team lost with mittens.

I tried to point out how condescending he sounded and now that I think about it the whole TRUMP

"What do you blacks have to lose by voting for me, you lot is awful under obama it will be awful under crooked Hillary"

looks more like a another version of "you silly people are really on our side your just too stupid to know it"

The southern strategy worked on a level of adding abstraction to the mix, hence the adopting of economic polices to hurt poor black more than whites.

If you rebuke the white nationalism and just put a spin on conservatism as an ideology to appeal to different blocks of voters. Remember Goldwater hated the new conservatism under regan, which is very different than what we see today.

The problem for the right is that the kindred ideals only really exist on an extremely surface examination. Ok, Blacks and Latinos tend toward being religious. Now look at how the preferred tenets of their religiosity compare to those of the typical Republican Holy Roller. Their religiosity is much more likely to be steeped in social justice rather than prosperity gospel. They also have very different political priorities and are unlikely to be voting based on guns, taxes, and abortion. Plus they're understandably turned off by nationalism, which is a core fetish of the GOP.

The Southern Strategy isn't about picking up minorities while also picking up racist voters. It's about picking up the racists while using just enough plausibly deniable language to also pick up the selfish idiots who can't stomach full throated racism but will happily gobble up veiled racism. Minorities however don't miss the fact that all those code words are still talking about them.

Further, in addition to racial minorities the GOP also likes to gently caress up gender issues. The GOP isn't going to be able to just throw a coat of paint over their dilapidated racist misogyny van and suddenly get all those non-white men on board. They're going to have to actually get a new ride if they want to pick off the Democratic coalition.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

zoux posted:

And that's how the media will decide to ignore Trump going bipolar yesterday.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

And that's how the media will decide to ignore Trump going bipolar yesterday.

Oh no one is ignoring poo poo, the vast majority of news today is about Trump, Mexico and immigration.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/08/stephen-bannon-world-warcraft-gold-farming-donald-trump

quote:

Bannon joined and eventually ran a company that made its name and fortune as an online marketplace to sell virtual gold to World of Warcraft players and other online gamers.

Can't get much more appropriate for the con that is the Trump campaign.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

If you want to get anything done these days, you absolutely have to remove the Republican's ability to temper tantrum about it to show off. Otherwise we get a repeat of Ted Cruz misunderstanding Dr. Seuss whenever we want to pass a traffic law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zoux posted:

Oh baby.

loving yessssssss.

GOP, if you had been reasonable even a little bit, it wouldn't have had to come to this.

• Locked thread