Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If the rhetoric and coverage don't reflect reality why should the polls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

max4me posted:

I am going to assume you mean minorities as in (none whites).

my concern comes from the fact that minorities are not a monolithic bloc, and I doubt there is much solidarity between all the different groups.

I've talked about my retarded fox news watching friend in other threads.

But he likes to say "Mexican, Blacks, and Muslims are really conservatives they just dont know it but yeah they are if you look at social issues like gay marriage, etc you know blacks are very religious etc"

He does this when I point out how his team lost with mittens.

I tried to point out how condescending he sounded and now that I think about it the whole TRUMP

"What do you blacks have to lose by voting for me, you lot is awful under obama it will be awful under crooked Hillary"

looks more like a another version of "you silly people are really on our side your just too stupid to know it"

The southern strategy worked on a level of adding abstraction to the mix, hence the adopting of economic polices to hurt poor black more than whites.

If you rebuke the white nationalism and just put a spin on conservatism as an ideology to appeal to different blocks of voters. Remember Goldwater hated the new conservatism under regan, which is very different than what we see today.

How do they believably try to about face re: minority outreach without starting Tea Party 2: eclectic biggot loons?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The biggest surprise for me is how small the sample size is for some of these polls. I thought a small poll was about 10k, not 100.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One of my (I hate this term) bucket list items is making sure my last words are "Thanks, Obama."

Blame is always the right option.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Can we trade media with them?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does everyone feel like the stupid poo poo their city's inhabitants do gets fixated on or is that just a thing for us here in Cincinnati?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You killed a gorilla
killed
a
gorilla

Yeah, but we're like +11 on gorillas, our Zoo is called the sexiest zoo in America for a reason.

(I doubt anyone outside the region knows or cares, but we are a brittle and argumentative people.)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So how soon after I vote for Hillary do I get my neighborhood taco truck? Is there a place to place preferences? If the tortillas aren't corn I'm a call her a Blue Dog.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I thought anyone on their staff was so clever I'd say they did August Gaffapalooza to desensitize everyone to Trump long enough in advance that they'd be able to recover.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're going to use it in Debates.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RuanGacho posted:

Every time panic rises in your throat, ask yourself if you sincerely believe Trump is going to do better than Mitt Romney.

Hell no, but I'd expect Hillary to do worse than Obama.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Hillary health thing was the shortest argument I ever had with my Dad:

"Well I saw some stuff about Hillary being unwell."
"Alright, if that's true, Who do you like more? Kaine or Clinton?"
"Kaine."
"So your problem is?"

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The thing this election cycle has been really driving home to me is that Republican talking points sound lazy and dumb because they can't say what they want, not because they are lazy and dumb.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ice Phisherman posted:

I may be talking out of my rear end here as I go further afield from what I know, but this is how I understand evangelicals, alien as they are to me and I to them.

Also not an expert, but my impression is that a lot of evangelicals read the bible cover to cover but retain or understand only some portions of it. That was certainly what I gathered from the group (Cincinnati Baptists) I'm most familiar with.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
And, finally, as someone who has read the bible cover to cover, studied its interpretations and history and so on I have no earthly idea how anyone could read it Literally. For god's sake, The four most important books are different accounts of the life of Jesus. How the gently caress do you read them without realizing the way each writer's voice influences the story? :psyduck:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's also very difficult to find people who are willing to work certain kinds of jobs. Assembly jobs with good benefits but lower salaries are almost impossible to fill right now.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We're visiting my Korean wife's Brazilian friends and she's 'splaining to our hosts that Trump exists because American whites have an inferiority complex from Asians being the wealthiest demographic in America...

She had me up until she tied it into Asians.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you want to lock yourself in for a 20-something dollar an hour job for the rest of your life going to a community college for factory maintenance work is a really solid option. Here in the Midwest I'd say 95% of the resumes I see have like 25 or more years of work experience. The young new grads get snapped up shockingly fast. Salaries have a ceiling that they hit pretty promptly, too.

If you're good with people you can also transfer that into a field service tech position and a lot of companies like to train those people into Engineering positions, or at least the Japanese companies I work with do.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TeenageArchipelago posted:

And to say what fishmech was saying a bit differently: A few decades ago, the job that I was doing(sandblasting the insides of water heaters), would have been done with an actual sandblaster. When I was doing it, I was using a machine that I loaded the water heaters into, and it blasted the inside for me. That definitely replaced a few workers, if for no other reason than that the machine was sandblasting one part while I loaded the next. Every step of that line had gone through a lot of those improvements over and over, in some cases reducing bottlenecks, in other cases replacing redundant workers.

It's chilling placing high end HR and process engineers because half of their resume is boasting about "Reducing overhead."

It's difficult to empathize with a job seeker when their resume takes credit for laying off 80 direct-hire employees.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inferior Third Season posted:

Jesus literally advocated for a 100% wealth tax and redistribution of wealth. He'd stand no chance. The religious right would tear Him apart for His disrespect of Christianity.

Reminder that this is exactly, word for goddamned word, what happened to the actual Jesus.

(Assuming he existed)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

I hear this all the time, practically anytime a local news channel wants to do a "job market: is it really as hard for those lazy poors to find work as they say?" type piece they get some poor would-be captain of industry on to :qq: about how difficult it is to find trained, skilled machinists or welders who are willing to work for the $10/hr no-benefits jobs they're so graciously offering.

And no the benefits aren't usually that great, and it's not like you can feed a family using your high-deductible health plan.

The job I'm thinking of is no skill, 12 an hour and zero deductible. The issue we're having is they insist on cbc and drug screening and it's not on the bus line.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lol OK.

Maybe she's talking about a moral victory?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some of you making fun of the perception of a poor ecconomy are likely not taking into account how much harder it is to secure a position past a certain age. As a recruiter its tougher to get an employer to consider a candidate over 50 than anyone else with a clean record.

It seems less productive to mock people for their perception of the economy than to remind them that THIS is what a good economy looks like now.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

wixard posted:

You really think they're going to automate truck-driving, but running a pallet jack on a dock is going to be a definitively human job?

This is already automated at the Toyota facilities in KY.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Decapitation from ramming into a truck at full speed is one hell of a failure mode.

It's automotive, that's what failures look like. Reminder that a b list movie star was run down around the same date by his own non-automated car due to a transmission issue and no one gave a poo poo.

Last I read accidents with Tesla's system happen at under 5% of the rate of cars driven conventionally.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I gave a poo poo :smith: and Anton Yelchin was a legitimately great young actor in 2 big movies this summer (Green Room and Star Trek) so he wasn't B-list by any measure. gently caress you buddy.

I didn't really know who he was other than "supporting actor in Star Trek." The point was that even in the perfect storm where a famous person is killed by a legit failing of an automotive part on recall while he wasn't even operating the drat car there was less interest than some schmuck watching Harry Potter on the freeway. My clients are Automotive so I get sick of Tesla hate.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Maybe they shouldn't call it autopilot then

Autopilot holds speed, bearing and altitude. The definition is: "A system used to control the trajectory of a vehicle without constant 'hands-on' control by a human operator being required." What's wrong with calling it that?

The autopilot in a 747 wouldn't stop the plane from hitting a semi if there happened to be one at 30,000 feet.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I fail to see why this is the occasion where reality should conform to the misconceptions of the ignorant. How many people who can't learn the meaning of one word can afford 80 thousand dollar cars?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

uninterrupted posted:

tell us more about how dumb someone is allowed to be before they deserve death.

A car is dangerous. Autopilot has never meant full automation and using it to describe what Tesla has is not false advertising. I do not see the distinction between any misunderstandings from this feature vs someone thinking cruise control will steer for them.

It literally is Autopilot. That is what it is.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Autopilot means you don't need to pay attention to the average person. That is why it is false advertising to sell it like that, as well as being a real bad idea.

No it is not "literally" autopilot.

It is not false advertising to use a common technological term that's been in use for decades in exactly the same manner it has been used previously.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

It is false advertising to use a term that you know the public will think means something more than you actually have. It's like the entire concept behind false advertising.

You're nuts. I'm currently wearing a watch that says it is good to thirty meters and I have to be careful washing my hands. The shoes I'm wearing are advertised as lasting for decades and I've resoled them twice. This is from a cursory look around the room I'm currently in.

No corporation is liable for you misinterpreting a term if a legal definition exists and says otherwise. By the metric you're describing you could file a claim against the majority of products. I'm as much a fan of living languages as anyone but the courts have a different attitude. I've never seen the inside of a Tesla but there's apparently a disclaimer every time you engage the feature. Good luck getting past that detail in court.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

No, you're nuts. Sorry you bought a knockoff watch though I guess? Or that you apparently wash your hands with a pressure washer. That some companies already practice horrible advertising doesn't mean it's good.

Industry standard, dude.

https://www.thrillist.com/gear/what-your-watch-water-resistance-numbers-mean

And there's no point discussing False Advertising if you're not also discussing liability.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

uninterrupted posted:

Are you the same kind of mindless pedant who says signs should say "inflammable" even though changing the word with "flammable" has literally saved lives?

Nah. One is something that may occur during everyday life and the other involves a significant entry cost and very specific warnings expressed in plain text. If your only chance to experience "inflammable" was bookended by a warning telling you what it meant...

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

It's not industry standard for a 30 meter watch to be ruined just from being under a shower. It means you have either a incorrectly assembled watch or a knockoff.

You are wrong. Actually a shower is problematic for anything under 100 meters because it's easier for steam to penetrate a gasket than water. Google it or check out the watch thread here.

Hell, I'm posting from a phone (Nexus 7) that also greatly exaggerated how waterproof it is.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Stop buying lovely knockoff watches and you'll stop having your watch break when you take a shower.

quote:

International Standards Organization (ISOO 2281:
Non water resistant: These watches will leak if any water gets on the case or crown
30 meters/100 feet/3 bar: General water resistant watches can withstand minor moisture from splashing, but should not be worn for swimming, diving, bathing, or showering. These watches are the most misunderstood. Most people believe that water resistant printed on the dial means the watch is sealed for swimming, diving, showering, etc. Not true. General water resistant watches should not be used underwater.
50 meters/164 feet/ 5 bar: can be used for swimming in shallow water, but not for snorkeling or other water sports
100 meters/ 328 feet/ 10 bar: are often called divers watches and can be used for snorkeling, swimming, and other water sports, but not high board diving or sub aqua diving.
200 meters/ 662 feet/ 20 bar: Suitable for high impact water sports and aqua diving not requiring helium.
300-1000 meters: professional divers watches and can be worn for deep water diving

So is there a subject you do know about or is it all out of your rear end?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

And none of that means "it's typical and expected that a shower will break the watch". I get that you're paranoid about it and/or exclusively buy lovely knockoff watches whose only resistance mark is a sticker they printed out, but it's not a problem with your average Timex/Casio/etc cheap 30m watch.

Showering broke my 50m $300 watch bought straight from the manufacturer. The actual price of the watch is irrelevant. A $10,000 watch rated at 10 bar wouldn't have been better. Luckily it was under warranty, lied through my teeth about wearing it in a shower though.

BiohazrD posted:

This is a good post but wow is that dumb. Literally putting "100 feet" means ZERO WATER RESISTANCE PERIOD

Preaching to the choir. If you dig through the Watch thread in W&W you can find me losing my mind when it was explained to me.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Sounds like you bought a lovely watch from a lovely company for way too much money bro. Meanwhile my various sub $50 but name-brand watches over the years, whether labeled 30m or not labeled water resistant at all, have been just fine in showering. Though one of them had the band get all weird and moldy so I had to get a replacement, but it still worked.

But let's go back to how you apparently deliberately got your Nexus 7 tablet wet as you mentioned before! Didn't you get warned about it? :smug:

I didn't get my phone wet because I learned my lesson and research major purchases now.

You can keep your casio and I'll keep my watch
http://imgur.com/W9fU7yU
It's a repro (from the same company and using the same production equipment) of the watch the Chinese government produced as a political statement for their pilots in the late 50s. It's also the only column wheel chronograph movement you'll find under a grand. Somehow I've gotten past the fact that it can't get wet.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

poop device posted:

This would then be false advertising, correct? What if Tesla came out with a 30M watch?

No. They used to say waterproof to x meters, and if I remember right a major watchmaker was sued. It's misleading as hell but this sort of thing is nearly impossible to challenge in court, particularly if you're not another corporation with deep pockets. Any watch you buy will have documentation with those standards on it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^^^^^
Didn't notice his user name until after I'd already gotten invested in the argument.

I'm dropping the watch example because I've already won and you're debating like some weird 19 year old lovechild of Hannity and Cunningham.

fishmech posted:

So beforehand you thought it was a great idea to get your cell phone wet, boy you're a real genius! Remind again why you believe it's ok for Tesla to advertise autopilot when you thought it would be ok to get a phone wet?

Galaxy, not Nexus, I always mix those two up.

Here's the commercial:
https://youtu.be/l5aF23XpBwU
Here's what the phone will reliably work in:
http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s7-not-quite-waterproof-torture-tests-reveal/

Companies often use terms that have a different literal meaning than might be interpreted by a layman. Autopilot is one. The onus on the company is to provide documentation and clarify the meaning, not to avoid any posible misunderstanding by an ignorant consumer.

Hell, you used software agreements as an example earlier. How many consumers know they aren't actually buying a videogame when they pay for it? That misconception doesn't magically give them rights outside of their license agreement.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/05/politics/philippines-president-rodrigo-duterte-barack-obama/index.html

Duterte's really feeling his oats.

ZoCrowes posted:

Seagull Chrono?

Yup. It really is LF: the watch. Love it.

• Locked thread