Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Holy crap, googled that building and it is *not* a photoshop...

It just doesn't even look real, but it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

lozzle posted:

Bugs Bunny also called Elmer Fudd a "nimrod" as an insult--Nimrod is a "mighty hunter" in the Bible.

Bugs' insults are meant to be ironic (though it has resulted in nimrod becoming an insult because most people don't actually know the original meaning).

Afaik Bugs Bunny calling Elmer Fudd a "nimrod" wasn't originally meant as a straight insult but as a sarcastic "hey check out the mighty hunter", but viewers didn't catch the reference to Ancient mythology and so interpreted the term just as a straight insult.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I understand your concern, but I think things will be okay. Without hyperbole, his supporters are almost all elderly or so obese it limits their agility, or both. Yes, they have guns and that's not good, but they are people who have been entirely sedentary and socially passive their entire lives. They get confrontational on the internet, but most of them have no experience picking fights in real life.

The economy is okay-ish, food prices are attainable, emergency medical care available, and broadly speaking a good chunk of the population are able to eat and have internet by one means or another. While individuals may exist with a perfect storm of "wife leaving me and taking the kids, got fired, out of funds and creditors calling, own guns, underlying mental issues, and I hate Hillary", the overall body of people are comfortable enough that they aren't going to risk it all stirring up serious poo poo. While you have some Bin Laden/Bundy folks who are willing to risk danger despite their privileged position, they're a pretty small cadre.

Overall just most Americans are vaguely comfortable enough that taking huge personal risk is unappealing compared to bitching, or are mentally unhinged enough to not be a competent threat. But boy howdy will they talk some poo poo.

• Locked thread