Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Trump looked really good yesterday, He was briefly calm and subdued before again embracing the behavior of a mentally disabled pathological liar. He didn't even drop trou on stage and poo poo all over the place. If that's not presidential material what is huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Speaking of Wallace, Bill Clinton taking him to task for his lovely interview questions is always a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dd2Xhm2mIE

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Pro-Lifers take an anti-abortion stance so they have an excuse to punish poor women who have sex, not because they actually give a gently caress about fetuses or life.

E: Trump suporters certainly won't care about Trump's position on it now or ever because he is a vehicle for their anger and racism, as long as he maintains that his other policy positions (or lack thereof) don't matter to them

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 5, 2016

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Lote posted:

I've heard solid middle class people say they didn't want a wage increase because working in fast food shouldn't make $15/hr because that would be getting paid too much for the skills involved. These were people that make $30/hr plus benefits and are most likely in a union. They were also discussing how they wouldn't support it even if it meant they would get raises too.

I forgot which goon wrote it but I saved a nice writeup in response to people claiming fast food workers aren't worth 15$ an hour and what they "deserve".

quote:

In regards to minimum wage and the crab bucket arguments you see, I think a decent tactic is to use the "Life isn't fair" argument.

The basic plan is to make them look like idealistic children who believe that life magically rewards people for working hard. You then argue that negotiating power is the only rule.

Any time someone uses the word "should" you can call it out. We don't live in "should land".
Similarly, attack the word "deserve" and also "designed for"

This is a big mythology that the workforce is designed, that it pays people what they deserve and that if you want more, you should work harder.

Maybe that's how it worked in Soviet Russia, a group of party bureaucrats got together and said "Comrade, let's create a job that is designed for teenagers who want to make some extra money during the summer, it's not supposed to be a career"

That's called a centrally planned economy. People get what other people decide they deserve. Jobs are "made" for people and people are put to work where other people think it's appropriate.

Maybe it could work in theory, I don't know. But let's go away from your theories and let's talk about how things really work in the United States.

In our economy, everything is based around negotiation. There's a lot of things that can affect your negotiating strength when arguing over a price. Utility is one big factor, no one wants to buy a square tire, no matter how low the price. Similarly, people are willing to pay a lot for smartphones, even when the material components are quite cheap.

Based on utility alone, it would make sense that useful, productive workers would get paid a lot more.

But there are other factors. When you've got a lot of competition, a high supply of workers, it gives the buyer a better bargaining position because he can always pick someone else. Here's the wage, take it or leave it.

There's also more coercive factors:
You've probably been in the reverse situation. Do you buy cable from Comcast because they're the best and have the lowest prices? If you need internet to work, you're going to pay, no matter the price.

I'm getting off track here, but the point is, if you want to make more money, you've got to be more powerful. Some people manage that by getting rare and valuable skills. That's great, but not everyone can do that, and if they did, those skills wouldn't be very rare anymore and you're back to square one.

Food Service Workers have found another way. They've banded together and said "We want $15, that's the wage, take it or leave it."

People have laughed, but as time goes on, companies are starting to realize that they have to negotiate as equals. They might just take the offer.

So what does that have to do with you, the Pharmacy Tech, the Ambulance Driver, the Assistant Night Shift Manager making $11.00 an hour? Are you going to get a raise because of their work? Probably not. You might try applying for a job at McDonalds and showing the job offer to your boss, "McD's will pay me $15, I want a raise or I quit" Notice the strategy there? You increased your negotiating strength and made a demand.

Or... Maybe you can learn from the food workers. If burger flippers can get $15, imagine how much you're actually worth as a Pharmacy Tech. If you banded together with other techs, could you demand $15? Could you demand $20? What about $25?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Kilroy posted:

Negotiation or, more accurately, leverage are excellent points though - the goon in question just failed to realize that voting for minimum wage increases and joining a union are how working class people use their leverage.

Yeah of course, that was originally written in regards to the New York fast food workers successfully getting their minimum wage increased to 15$ an hour through political action.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Even if you are not excited for Hillary personally any and all progressives should be thrilled at the prospect of her Supreme Court pick(s).

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

It sucked when it happened but the aftermath is mostly Lauer and Trump getting shat on which is pretty satisfying.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Is he drunk tweeting? That's my first thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Funnily enough FOX usually introduces Dick Morris as a "Democratic Strategist" when of course he is nothing of the sort and hasn't been for a long long time.

• Locked thread