Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

I'm going to give that WaPo a caveat of being an RV poll instead of LV, otherwise seems about right.

Its an online poll, which, while not to be dismissed, should be viewed with a bit of skepticism. That said, if we start seeing more polls with states like Texas even within the margin of error, then we can celebrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

When someone on the side that is winning says "yeah, this isn't right", I'm more inclined to agree.

Agreed, though Texas is known to be bluing though the right is doing everything they can to stop it.

I've already posted my anecdotal evidence of my latino students/girlfriends' latino family all registering to vote and being more engaged here in Texas, but it's gonna take a hell of a lot of change to move Texas that much this year. I'd expect another 10 years of olds dying, young hispanics turning 18, and out of staters moving in to overcome the Republican voters in Texas.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

I am an otherwise healthy woman who currently has pneumonia, maybe Hillary and I can hang out and swap z-packs :allears:

How much time do you have left :(

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fojar38 posted:

Working hard despite being sick is a pretty good presidential quality imo

I said it earlier in the thread, but that's the only way to spin this to salvage the situation a bit. Otherwise, just wait it out and show up at the debates without dying.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

Here's what's weird to me. Clinton is leading with:

• Blacks
  • Latinos
  • Women
  • People with college degrees
  • People under 40

...yet the polls show a tight race.

Can someone explain the discrepancy here without using "lol nothing matters?" That's it, isn't it? The wheels have come off the universe and probability is now a lie.

2012 Turnout - (CNN/ORC Trump +2 Margins)

*Blacks - 13% (Collectively with Latinos C +53)
*Latinos - 10% (Collectively with Blacks C +53)
*Women - 53% (C+14)
*College or more - 47% (C +27)
*People under 44 - 46% (C +26)

*Non-Hispanic White - 64.1% (T + 21)
*45 y/o or more - 54% (T +15)
*Men - 47% (T +20)
*No College 53% (T + 15)

Trump can win if he kills it among non-hispanic whites, since they make up a majority of the electorate. Same goes for the olds.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Petr posted:

In other words, Trump is going to win.

Nope! Obama lost whites by 20 points, and olds 10 points or so too. Hillary just has to make sure young people and minorities turn out.

Keep in mind that if we see something like 60% white turnout for the Republicans this time, which isn't unreasonable, that would hit the Republicans hard because that's their entire coalition. The Dems just need to make sure young whites show up - all indications show Latino and AA turnout to remain solid.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Petr posted:

I'm just saying, the statement "if Trump kills it with whites and olds, he will win" is functionally equivalent to the statement "Trump will win."

Can, not will! It's just his only real path to victory, and still relies on REALLY killing it and keeping the Dem voters from showing up.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I mean really whites are all he's got left. He's bringing in almost zero black votes and hispanic votes are deeper down for the republicans than they've ever been. He has to overperform with white voters and Hillary's crowd has to underperform. Trump also has a lower ceiling than Clinton does at around 43% which can dip all the way down to 35% if he really, really fucks up.

I'm not sure which non-white voters will still vote for him. Maybe highly religious/evangelical Hispanics? They don't seem to have completely abandoned the republicans like black people have this go around.

My guess is that what'll make or break the election are the debates. If Trump has an emperor has no clothes moment where he's exposed to know nothing about anything policy-wise he'll be pretty boned. If he can make it into a race about bluster and character like he has been then he'll fare better. It's just a matter of pinning him down and making him talk about policy.

Or he calls Clinton a oval office on air and white women abandon him. Either is possible.

I have a bad feeling Trump will get through the debates without offering a single policy other than blustery build the wall type poo poo, and somehow come out looking alright. Maybe that's just pre-emptive arzying.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This perfectly conveys the whole "special ed kid who somehow got into politics" vibe that Walker has.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from the debate thread, so we can see which questions are trending for the next debate!

:negative:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

canepazzo posted:

Actually the h2h numbers for that PPP poll are a solid 10/10:

CO 51 (+7)
VA 49 (+6)
PA 49 (+5)
NC 49 (+4)
FL 48 (+3)

Wowsa! That's one of the best Hillary numbers in FL in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That south park is back video was poo poo, but South Park on the debate is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlqKFlU7YAs

The whole Mr. Garrison is Trump plot has been fairly funny.

• Locked thread