Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
visceril
Feb 24, 2008

dicks assassin posted:

Republicans aren't stupid enough to shutdown government a month before the election, right?

They did it once before immsure that at least a few will try to do it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

BiohazrD posted:

I don't know, I kind of wish it would have gone the other way and made the Republican party even more toxic. They're not going to actually work on legislation either way.

The thesis of the article is that "Mitch McConnel and the GOP establishment's strategy of spending a ton of money to win dirty primary challenges is working."

Will ugly races and depleted reserves make it easier for Democratic challenges to statewide races? Maybe, for some. I think control of the senate is going to pass between the two parties much more frequently than control of the house

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Kilroy posted:

It's probably not stupid to expect that they can't continue in their present form for that much longer - no one under retirement age watches them. Hell, I'm not sure the fate of cable television in the main what with Netflix eating the world.

Neither of these things is true.

Audiences are old but not dying, certain FNC programs excepting.

Netflix is having a hell of a time expanding globally.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

How exactly did Clinton "trick" them. This seems like a GOPe vet trying to damage control/lose more softly due to the Trumpster Fire.

Also Clinton's going to release an Oppo Research bomb the week of the debate, the day before, and the day of to win the debates.

His entire campaign is an oppo research bomb. His entire life has been televised, written about, and tweeted.

Her October surprise could just be a 30 minute loop of him mocking that disabled reporter

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

How did Rubio win? Are democrats that terrible in FL?

Dumb,

But really, how is he surviving being "Little Marco" and bowing down and bending over for Trump?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
The only thing that could potentially kill radio is self-driving cars

And even then it wouldn't just vanish

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I'm glad that Garrison Keillor is so aggressively boring that this detail is still going

#DicksOut4Wobegon

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
The taco truck thing is just the typical "republicans say thing that I like and want, but to them it's somehow the worst thing in the world"

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Garrison Keillor looks like a cross between Philip Seymour Hoffman and William H Macy

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Saying PHC is good and Car Talk is bad is a pretty obvious troll, guys.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Prairie Home Companion is for people that think Gilmore Girls is too spicy and exotic

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
So, how about that Splendid Table?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Guillotine.

Trying to start a circumcision derail, are we?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Greataval posted:

The press has so much power yet are scared to use it they could just put a trump blackout till he releases his taxes. Yet thet will cry about acces like gently caress them grow some balls. They are enabling fascist allowing it to fester and grow.

"The press" isn't a cartel. If CNN or NYT decided to not cover trump anymore their competitors would seize on the opportunity to steal audience share and sell copies & get clicks.

You're getting the press you deserve. If you don't want to read banal articles about trump don't click on them and don't buy magazines with his face on the cover.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Let's start a change.org petition to get Garrison Keillor to moderate the debate in full character

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Which character though?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Guy Noir, Private Eye. That way neither candidate gets more than a couple lines each.

Also, the first hour and a half of the debate will be the moderator engaging the candidates in acapella bluegrass, as a test of domestic policy and patriotism

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Night10194 posted:

So why is the right so goddamn bullish on Tsar Vladimir? Is it just that he's a right-wing authoritarian strongman who oversees the criminalization of homosexuality and brutal military adventures abroad?

Kilroy posted:

it's probably some other stuff, too

he's not black, for example

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
National Dumbass Club could've just hit up Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right

There.

The actual purpose of the meeting is to determine editorial takes

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Radish posted:

Any journalist that says Trump living up the the standards of a child because he can stand somewhere and not make too much on an rear end of himself and thus is "presidential" needs to be swapped with some person currently in Guantanamo. I know this is all about selling clicks and whatever but the standard for what a president does has been so reduced this election it's absurd. Have some loving pride in your potential leader you shitbirds.

Be the change you want to see in the world: support independent media, cancel your cable subscription, and stop clicking on garbage

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What is your demographic that has a people getting a majority of their news from RT? Are you in a Millenial Russian Ex-pat community or just friends with a lot of really dumb or gullible people?

IMO people that read RT are people that are on the path to watching Infowars unironically

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I loathe the term "alt-right".

just call it what it is: /pol/

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Lots of "health nuts" I know (including my Aunt who is an insane crunchy type person who gargles Olive Oil for 20 minutes at a "doctor's office" twice a month and only buys non-gmo, organic, local food) don't really think of health in a nutritional sense. If it is "natural", has lots of vitamins, is non-gmo, and organic / gluten-free it is healthy. Diet Snapple with splenda is "less healthy" than 100% juice with 460 calories and 60 grams of sugar.

Actual juice > diet Snapple.

It's just people don't realize that when you chug a bottle of juice that's like eating a dozen oranges at once in the wild. It's far too much at once is the problem

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

What's the major difference?

Your body processes simple sugars found in fruit differently than it processes complex sugars more commonly found in sodas and other processes foods

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Biden, Warren, Brown, Gore, Kerry, Klobachar, Gillibrand... Pretty much any other democratic candidate would've had better personal favorability numbers. There was just no room for anyone to run because virtually the entire party got behind her right away.

Biden: he is old and his son died. Also not everyone reads the onion.

Warren: I don't see how she could perform any more favorably or differently than Bernie

Brown: lol he is not Obama he is not going to come from "who?" to president this year

Gore: he is a loser he had his chance

Kerry: same

Kobold: who?

Gilibrand: see Warren

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Extremely popular senators from swing states = "who" to you....

They have no national recognition, sorry.

I've literally never heard of the D&D character

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Cthulhumatic posted:

I'd rather vote for bugbear.

Gore appreciates your support

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

mcmagic posted:

How much national recognition did Obama have before he ran? What about Bernie and he got 45% of the vote?

Actually if it was Tim Kaine vs Trump he would probably be up 15 points too.

Neither of them are Obama.

Tim Kaine is sentient jar of mayonnaise he would be doing far worse among minorities than Clinton. It would be Kerry/Bush all over again.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

mcmagic posted:

If they had run and the party hadn't anointed Clinton they would've gained name recognition over the primary. The point is that the democrats nominated literally the least personally popular politician in their party and you're you're to justify that. Literally anyone with a D next to their name would be doing better in this race.

Would you like some D next to your face? #feelthejohnson

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
News media is dead set on making this race as close as possible.

All mainstream media sites are knowingly promoting right wing extremism and political South Park douche/turd myopia solely for profit.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Trump will win the first debate but he's going to lose the election, everyone calm down.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Every living president regardless of party affiliation came out to endorse Hillary.

Come one, America. Get your poo poo together

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I have never had the urge to hunt someone down for saying a thing I didn't like on the internet. It's a very strange, alien thing to me and I can't relate to that feeling at all.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Hmm, so it seems like most Americans* think that the president can direct any executive agency to do his bidding without dissent or question, and without any oversight of any kind.

Obama can direct the Bush-appointed chief of the FBI to drop charges against Hillary, and all do the agents on the case will just go along with it without saying anything to anyone about it.

The IRS can waste what precious little funding it has to have a protracted legal battle with Trump on made-up charges. And everyone employed by the agency working on it is just fine with it.

Is this really how they think the world works? Is it how they want the world to work? Why bother electing congress if this is how it is

*Idiots

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I hear ya; seems to me though that people are uniquely stupid about the government and unable to apply some kind of comparative reasoning or empathy to it.

I blame the matrix and it's portrayal of federal agents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
HRC's notes sheet wouldn't have any writing.

She'd just draw those cool diamonds over and over

• Locked thread