Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

NYT story on how urban America is sending insane numbers of people to prison for insane amounts of time. Apparently Dearborn, Indiana has an incarceration rate of ~10%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

e: quote /= edit

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

This may be a dumb question, but is Jill Stein even left? Literally the only thing I've seen her advocate are anti-vax and being a moron in politics.

Like, it's entirely possible I don't know my poo poo (and in fact highly probable), but I get the feeling people chalk the Greens under "left" just because they're a fringe party that fits "none of the above."

The green party actually has a ton of leftist stuff in their platform. The problem is that there is also a bunch of :catdrugs: stuff in there, just like every other fringe party. That, and Jill Stein being a pretty awful candidate (though better Cynthia McKinney!).

Mr Jaunts posted:

I was recently approached by a guy trying to collect signatures to get Stein on the ballot in November. He described her as, and I quote, "between the Democrats and the Libertarians."

This is totally bonkers though. The Greens are pretty far from the libertarians by any reasonable metric.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

withak posted:

Probably you have to make a 4D or 5D graph of political parties to draw this conclusion.

Just a knight's move away on the 11D chessboard!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

puck puck goose posted:

There's something I've been curious about : how does the right view Gary Johnson? Is he in the same sort of position that Jill Stein is with the left? Like, some of them agree with some of his views but brush him off as being too out there?

My girlfriend's cousin is an ardent Trump supporter, and recently shared a video about Gary Johnson and wrote that

quote:

Gary Johnson supports mandatory government immunization, supports Black Lives Matter, supports TPP, wants to "Take our share of Syrian refugees", came into office of NM with $1.8 billion debt and left with $4.6 billion, and lastly gets angry when the interviewer doesn't say "undocumented worker" instead of what it really is "illegal alien" (yet calls Trump racist all the time). Doesn't sound Libertarian to me.

So more like they brush Johnson off as not being out there enough.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Scenario: Clinton has to drop out due to health, Kaine wins presidency, both Toxx threads get banned. What happens to D&D?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

A lot of smaller or special interest subreddits can be pretty good (though there are lots of terrible small subreddits too). For politics, /r/politicaldiscussion tends to be pretty decent. For example, right now the top responses to the thread on the reddit email guy are

quote:

Why do people think the FBI didn't know about these posts? It's more or less common sense to google the aliases being used by someone. If these internet detectives could figure out his online handle, I'm pretty confident the FBI would have been able to figure it out as well. From there finding the reddit posts doesn't exactly take an ace investigator.

and

quote:

I think I'm missing something here. Is the controversy that they wanted to replace the VIP's email address with something generic so people wouldn't know the specific address? If so, why is that a problem? It kinda seems like common sense. If not, then what's the controversy?

Maybe it's not exactly top-tier analysis, but it is certainly much more level-headed than the rest of reddit.

edit: beaten; jesus christ this thread moves fast

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Wait if this guy's handle is stonetear, does that mean Clinton is hiring Wheel of Time fans?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

But what about the Front Page Discussion?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Re: Do The Right Thing chat, I've had a question about that movie for a while. I had a Black Studies professor in college mention the movie, and I talked to him about it after class, and as part of the discussion he asked me why I thought Radio Raheem died. I (an admittedly clueless white dude) said something about the fight at Sal's and the systemic racism of the police, and he told me that I needed to go watch the movie again. I did and I still don't get what he was after. What was I missing?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Do you think Kim Kardashian's Trump endorsement will be used to attack Kanye West when he runs for president in 2020?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Speaking of drinking, what is the official D&D drinking game for tonight?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Donald Trump posted:

We have so many things that we have to do better, Lester, and certainly cyber is one of them. 

:wiggle:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Re: Clinton calling Cuban a "real billionaire": Does anyone have pictures of Trump's car doors?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Trilas posted:

Reel Big Fish 2020 :argh:

Finally a candidate who understands working in fast food all their life! But do you think America is ready to take on them?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I never hear people talk about range voting (where you rate each candidate on a scale from 1-10), but I thought it got around all the Arrow's theorem issues nicely in a way that Single Transferable Vote doesn't. Is there some reason why range voting is actually bad? And are there any countries that have tried it?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

I was trying to think how to best encapsulate the disgusting mood and feel of public life then, and I came up with Toby Keith's album "Shock'n Y'all"

While it's from his previous album, I'm just gonna go ahead and post the lyrics to Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue as evidence for how awful this sort of thing was:

Toby Keith posted:

[Verse 1]
American Girls and American Guys
We’ll always stand up and salute
We’ll always recognize
When we see Old Glory Flying
There’s a lot of men dead
So we can sleep in peace at night
When we lay down our head

My daddy served in the army
Where he lost his right eye
But he flew a flag out in our yard
Until the day that he died
He wanted my mother, my brother, my sister and me
To grow up and live happy
In the land of the free
Now this nation that I love
Has fallen under attack
A mighty sucker punch came flying in
From somewhere in the back
Soon as we could see clearly
Through our big black eye
Man, we lit up your world
Like the 4th of July

[Chorus]
Hey Uncle Sam
Put your name at the top of his list
And the Statue of Liberty
Started shaking her fist
And the eagle will fly
Man, it’s going to be hell
When you hear Mother Freedom
Start ringing her bell
And it feels like the whole wide world is raining down on you
Brought to you Courtesy of the Red White and Blue

[Verse 2]
Justice will be served
And the battle will rage
This big dog will fight
When you rattle his cage
And you’ll be sorry that you messed with
The U.S. of A
`Cause we`ll put a boot in your rear end
It`s the American way

[Chorus]

That was the #1 Billboard country song when it came out. A dark time indeed.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Can't decide if my favorite Bush administration scandal is John Ashcroft covering up The Spirit of Justice's boob or the sheer Orwellianism of Total Information Awareness.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Covok posted:

Out of curiosity, where does the term "aryzing" come from? Couldn't find it on urban dictionary.

Then you should have checked SAclopedia!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

To be fair twice. 1870 also.

I think 1870 is the once because France was on the winning side in WWII. They just did their part through a badass insurgency.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Hey so in 20 minutes when there's a new thread, can we get the corncob tweet and the definition of "Arzy" in the OP? Questions on those two things seem to come up every few pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I was gonna say that "and even worse, knowing that both Captains Picard and Kirk would be on that list too if weren't legally prohibited from signing it", but I don't think anyone who would be getting pissed at that letter understands international electoral laws anyway.

Wait, what legally prohibits them from signing it? Is Trek Against Trump considered a PAC or something?

• Locked thread