Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

max4me posted:

The one thing I am surprised with is the acknowledgement of the term alt right by the "main stream media" and the Clinton campaign.

Would have thing the spot light on these groups grow or shrink them? Could it grant them legitimacy?
It's possible in the long term it might make those groups have more notoriety that encourages more people to join them. It's hard to know at this point. I get why Clinton did that to tie him to extreme people, but the average person has no clue what 'alt-right' means and I doubt it will be significant in the end politically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/771291820882071552

:stare:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The entire state as far as I can tell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So that backs up her statement that Powell told her how to get around FOIA?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

Ironically the best performing economy in the world right now is the USA, yet everyone acts like its in decline.
One thing that helped us avoid Europe's fate was having Obama in power mostly blunted attempts to heavily reduce government spending in the US. While that did still happen to a degree, in Europe they went Hog Wild and it has caused major economic stagnation in the whole region. Which in turn has led to things like the Brexit.

As mentioned, China's economy is a house of cards and it's unclear how long it will be sustainable for the government to keep throwing money at a big problem. Russia's a disaster, and Brazil is not only in a bad economic downturn but there was a bloodless coup that just occurred where the conservative party who hadn't won an election in ages managed to throw out the popularly elected president on trumped-up corruption charges. They of course are replacing her with a guy who is legally barred from running for office for 8 years due to a corruption conviction, and who is so unpopular he basically ran and hid during the Olympics.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's scary that we may have a situation in my lifetime where a very large number of people have their jobs completely replaced by automation and I'm not sure what we're going to do with all of these people.

It did happen to a degree in manufacturing, but if it happens in some of these other sectors I'm not sure what the ultimate outcome will be.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is a really poor decision on Ailes' part because it's just going to bring even more gross stuff about him out into the light when they get to discovery....

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Meanwhile Trump won't release his tax returns but somehow that's ok I guess. That doesn't even get into the pretty obvious fraud many of Trump's businesses have been involved in.

Look, I'm a Bernie supporter and as much as I have policy issues with Clinton, I'm tired of this constant need of the media to just find SOMETHING on Hillary after basically every right wing media outlet has dug through her garbage a million times. None of these reports have any actual facts of wrongdoing, it's all speculation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Two weeks into office, Trump is still pretending he won it and he starts Presidenting out of Trump Tower.
The media cover his daily press briefings in the Trump Tower Bar and Grill in full.
President Hillary gets 10 seconds from the White House press room.
I bet you he will keep billing the RNC for his campaign expenses even after this is over, just to see if anyone notices

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

The leadup to the last round of whining was that she hasn't held a presser since December. She held one the week prior, but with local and Hispanic media. That didn't count because she didn't bring along the mainstream press

Literally one day later, Trump snubs the mainstream press and flies down to Mexico and holds a presser with local and Hispanic press. This is then held up as an example of something good and why isn't Clinton doing this.

It's no wonder she considers them all idiots and a cancer on Democracy
It's pretty amazing. Trump openly talks about how he wants to make it easier to bring libel suits against the press but for the most part they choose to ignore these claims. Or just look at what he did to that one Univision reporter who dared to ask him non-softball questions.

Meanwhile Clinton doesn't do enough press conferences to their liking and they consider this an affront to their being.

It's really no different in how they are treating things like Trump University/Trump Foundation as opposed to the Clinton Foundation stuff. Trump's businesses are currently on trial for actual fraud and there's a lot of evidence to suggest that he paid off the FL AG to avoid lawsuits in that state, but no, we need to find out what the Clintons are REALLY hiding for real this time guys seriously

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

It's pretty unconscionable that the press has utterly dropped the Trump birther poo poo.
Or the implying that his supporters should shoot Clinton if she's elected

or that he openly bragged about buying politicians but I guess that's OK now unless your name ends with Clinton?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

greatn posted:

Didn't the homophobe funding chick fil A money to anti gay PACs die a couple of years ago anyway?
The original founder did, but his family that owns them are politically the same

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nessus posted:

The grotesque thing to me isn't so much that they're grilling :abuela: it's that it seems like Donald Trump just keeps on getting a pass for all this bullshit. It's like the reductio ad absurdium for "it's OK if you're a Republican." The Republicans could run a literal yellow dog and they'd get treated with deference and respect. But I guess that's what all that liberal media yelling was for, to accomplish this goal.
It wouldn't bother me as much if they were clearly not giving the same kind of scrutiny to the far more shady things he's done/still doing. But as mentioned previously, nobody's bringing up the Birther stuff at all, which he kept pushing past the point of ridiculousness.

I may be crazy but I do think there is at least a degree of certain parts of the media not wanting to come off as 'biased' (which in this instance means telling facts that are inconvenient to the right-wing) because the right wing tends to yell and scream when the media says things they don't like. I can't think of a candidate more hostile to the media in my lifetime than Trump, and yet they don't really acknowledge his pretty gross views on libel laws and threats to go after them for saying things that are factually true that Trump doesn't like to hear. I think you would have to go back to Nixon to find someone who hated the media as much as Trump. Yet he plays the media like a fiddle through outrageous headlines that get clicks and views, which in turn gives him free advertising. You could easily write a long book about Trump and the media once this is all over. It's incredibly schizophrenic on all sides.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Donald Trump is literally your 4th grade class president promising free soda from the machines.

Yoshifan823 posted:

They're gonna ask trump about veteran suicide!
Turn back Matt nooo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I wouldn't infer that from some national polls.

At this point it's also a bit ridiculous to be looking at national polls anyway since the state polls are far more important. Which show Trump is going to need a LOT of help to not get creamed in the EC.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

So I actually did research on these people, and I just want to point out how stupid it is to do anything at all related to this business.

Platte River Networks was the company in charge of managing Hillary's E-mail servers.

Sometime in 2014, Hillary's former Chief of Staff and her lawyer sorted all her E-mails into work-related and non-work-related ones.

On December 5th, all of the work E-mails were turned over to the State Department.

Sometime December 2014, Hillary's people informed PRN that they no longer wanted E-mails older than 60 days to be stored on her server, and to update the retention policy.

On March 4th, 2015, Hillary received a subpoena related to her E-mails.

Sometime from March 25th to the 31st, someone at Platte went "oh poo poo, we forgot to delete those E-mails when asked" and deleted them.

There's literally no reason to pretend like they're bad people - the only thing they did wrong was wait to do as they were told.
On the other hand, we all know Killary personally dumped all of those emails into the giant fire pit in front of her Death Mansion while cackling like a which

-Breitbart.com

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It appears that Hillary apologized for her comments, which I think is probably a mistake.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He'll just end up looking like the Nazi from Winter Soldier who ended up in a basement server farm

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Why is this interview taking place on a lawn?
I think that may be the new African American History Museum in DC that was built on the Mall

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/775410333372542976

Obama being popular is reallly loving up the presidential election plan the GOP wrote in 2013 and is by god sticking to.
Pretty sure they wrote that plan in 2008 and never changed it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

"It's a lot easier to not hear people calling for him to release his tax returns with these earplugs in"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Obama is planning to veto legislation that would allow suits against Saudi Arabia in reference to 9/11, but it appears that Congress has enough votes for an override. That would be the first overridden veto of Obama's presidency.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/u...v=top-news&_r=0

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I know some people are afraid of Tom Cotton, but to me he comes off as a defective Ted Cruz clone

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I do love how no one remotely competent wants to work for this campaign

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Melania Trump got some lawyer to write a letter saying she was totally allowed to be in the US in the 1990, we swear

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Frogfingers posted:

You've confused Snowden with Assange. Assange is the one doing surrogate work for Putin/Trump. Snowden I think just happened to end up in Russia through happenstance. As far as I know, he hasn't made any political gestures.
Snowden was trying to get to South America (I forget the exact country), but his passport got revoked while he was in Moscow.

Remember that the US government used military jets to force I think it was the Uruguayan president's plane to land so they could search it for Snowden.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wasn't it within the last year Oz had to testify before Congress about his misleading medical claims?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Not sure if anyone noticed, but Anderson Cooper asked Pence whether Trump should apologize to Obama for the Birther nonsense and Pence said that they 'weren't going to talk about that.'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If those words came out of Hillary's mouth she'd be devoured like a ham hock thrown to a school of piranhas.
I can't even imagine the media firestorm if she said that about the emails

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's really unbelievable to me that we are having slapfights in 2016 over doctors.

Although it's pretty drat clear who has a legitimate doctor and who paid off some guy to write a letter in 5 minutes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ivanka Trump doesn't exactly handle herself very well in this Cosmopolitan interview about the Trump campaign's family leave proposal. Basically once the interviewer starts asking her what happens with paternity leave/gay male couples and paid leave, she falls apart

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/politics/a3356886/ivanka-trump-child-care-maternity-leave-policy/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Are we sure Mormons are still against Trump? I thought the polls in Utah had gone back to what they usually are for a Republican candidate in the general.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If Wisconsin is somehow red (incredibly unlikely), then in that scenario I would be surprised if PA isn't also red.

I don't think that 269 tie is realistically possible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Also it's Cain, no e

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/DeanMeminger/status/777357563310538752

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

actually they changed regs recently to allow soldiers to roll their sleeves (!!!!!!)
Gotta show off the Neo Nazi tats somehow

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

For someone who would be the actual next president if Trump were elected, there really hasn't been nearly enough attention paid to Pence as there should be.
It's also pretty amazing that a guy who very vocally advocated for a law that would allow business owners to legally discriminate against gay people, he has been let completely off the hook on that issue. It just happened last year. I think I saw a couple of mentions of that when he was chosen as the running mate, but since then nothing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I highly doubt Johnson gets even half the support when actual votes are cast. I really don't buy into the idea that voters 18-34 are strongly going to move towards a libertarian.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

pacerhimself posted:

I haven't heard much about this Pam Bondi, but everything I have read coming from her makes her sound exceptionally stupid.

It almost seems like she's a hack who's a political appointment and not qualified at all.
I hate to disappoint you, but Bondi is an elected official

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Doredrin posted:

How is Trump even competitive in Florida where around 37% of the population is either black or latino?

That is actually one correct way of going about it, but it takes an amount of skill that the vast majority of politicians lack.
One poll here in FL showed white people 51-30 for Trump.

• Locked thread