Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Y'all need to read some Karl Popper, seriously, because this is some Epistemology 101 puerile bullshit.

PS. "Weak atheism" and "strong atheism" are already extant definitions, kindly stfu unless you are familiar with the difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

(i.e. what all of the First World besides us has)

Not even close to true. But it would be nice

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

Is that so? I was told we're the only industrialized nation in the world that doesn't have public universal healthcare. Who else doesn't? Or are we getting into weird stuff like whatever the Swiss have?

Netherlands and Switzerland off hand, plus I'm Irish and we have "universal healthcare" only in the sense that all adults over a certain age must have private insurance (Obamacare-ish) plus the public option is dire for many common procedures. This is not unusual among European states I believe

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/771298236376178688

tbf he doesn't say WHO is making big progress

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Kro-Bar posted:

Did cars stop having tape/cd players or MP3 inputs or something? Who listens to the loving radio?

do you really not think people listen to the radio or are you just being obtuse?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Keiler's old-man whistling noise absolutely loving kills me, it is just terrible. But I could probably listen to APHC hosted by that Punch Brothers guy, he's probably the most talented bluegrass musician in existence so that can't hurt

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Yinlock posted:

Let's get down to the real issues: what background music will Fox News pick for Hillary's inauguration? If I recall Obama got an ominous choir of evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp3BlFZWJNA

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Hipster's thinking they know folk music is not good.

As someone from a community and state that embraces our actual folk music culture, PHC sucks.

it's you, you're the folk hipster

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Avenging_Mikon posted:

My friend called Hillary a neoliberal today. Is he stupid, or am I?

She is. but the answer is probably both of you

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
If I was part of the HRC GOTV team, right now I would be retrofitting trucks into taco trucks to bring people to the polls and then going apeshit on social media about it. Nothing will get the millenials out like a cheap gimmick they can meme and snap about

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Still nine weeks out. People will remember the taco truck meme nine weeks from now but it won't have the same power it has now.

Are you saying that if you were offered a ride to the polls in a taco truck that fed you tacos and then you got a sticker that said "I Rode Hilary's Taco", you'd be like "nah bru im sweet"?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

"While that may not be an illegal bribe, certainly the Clinton campaign should have known to avoid the optics of impropriety" - A Talking Head

by that point it'll be too late and the manocide will have commenced

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Good thing the Supreme Court will be able to rule 5-4 on any critical election rated issues and lower courts won't have the final say due to a 4-4 split or anything....

motherfucker, how had I not even considered this as a key reason for the stalling and obfuscation...

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
me gusta

https://twitter.com/EricEnglish777/status/771807430174912513/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

NippleFloss posted:

CelestialScribe walks outside to find that it is 2 degrees colder today than yesterday. Rends clothing and runs down street wild eyed and screaming "IF THIS TREND CONTINUES WE WILL ALL FREEZE TO DEATH IN MONTHS!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTlVRUkwYRI

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

quote:

this is the last election when we even have a chance to vote for somebody who will stand up for godly moral principles.

sounds rad as hell imo

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dexo posted:

Lol that's been happening in black churches at least since I was a kid.

we don't know when you were a kid. hell, you might still be a kid

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

readingatwork posted:

Their fundraising is hardly a secret and neither is their policy history. For example the Clinton administration was one of the earliest pioneers of the concept of Globalism. Only at the time the concept went by the delightfully Orwellian term "Trade Liberalization".

yes, the Clintons pioneered the concept of globalism, which emerged post-WWII

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo that story is incredible. Is it a pastiche of something specific or just a general style of poetic surrealist apocalyptic fiction

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

This was a key post because of the Vic Berger song in the comments

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The simple invention of the standard shipping container eliminated 90% of longshoreman jobs. Just lol if you don't think automated transport will affect transport employment

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've seen plenty of examples of Obama doing so, but is there any video evidence of Dubya competently putting a reporter in his place, let alone giving him the sort of shellacking that Clinton gave Wallace there? My gut instinct says no, but I also remember the glimmers of competence that occasionally emerged from under Dubya's clown mask.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
My boy El-P clowning on Trump not only on that latest DJ Shadow collab, but also via Twitter

https://twitter.com/therealelp/status/772579989740986368

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sir Tonk posted:

Tesla's self-driving thing isn't even working with its elite group of buyers

What are you referring to here? Because all I've really heard from Tesla Autopilot (which is not a self-driving car system), is one guy drove into a truck he didn't see, and another guy had a heart attack and his car drove him to the hospital. Seems pretty good to me so far

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

The dude's car was found by the police with a video still playing, so he was apparently paying attention to that, rather than the huge truck crossing in front of him.

No indication he tried to break. Tesla blames it on "well the side of the truck was white so it couldn't be detected against a bright sky". Seems like you'd want your self-driving system to be able to detect the most common color of truck, but whatever.

The guy didn't see it coming.

I fail to see how this is in anyway an argument against Tesla Autopilot, unless you think people shouldn't have nice things because retards exist

Eifert Posting posted:

It's automotive, that's what failures look like. Reminder that a b list movie star was run down around the same date by his own non-automated car due to a transmission issue and no one gave a poo poo.

Last I read accidents with Tesla's system happen at under 5% of the rate of cars driven conventionally.

I gave a poo poo :smith: and Anton Yelchin was a legitimately great young actor in 2 big movies this summer (Green Room and Star Trek) so he wasn't B-list by any measure. gently caress you buddy.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

You fail to see how Tesla's autopilot directly leading to his death is an argument against it? It's not like he got killed by some barely visible bump in the road, he was killed by about the largest and most visible possible thing on the road: a loving truck.

Perhaps he should have listened to, read, and watched all the safety documentation which clearly stated what Autopilot is and isn't. Hint: it doesn't drive your car for you.

Sir Tonk posted:

That's the thing. Truck drivers run over people all the time, but we have a human to blame and that makes it tolerable to society. Once it's a computer doing the killing, it's a problem. Unless there are corporate execs willing to take the fall and go to jail for manslaughter, this is going to be a major issue and it only takes one high profile death from a Johnny Cab to shut the whole thing down.

Automotive insurers already pay out billions annually. You don't think they're gonna get a money-boner for a new car industry where they can simultaneously jack up the rates (by playing on public anxiety about autonomous vehicles) and greatly reduce payouts (due to much lower accident rates)?

e: If you're arguing that it's a legislative issue - Congress alreay gave Chrysler, Ford and GM about $80bn in bailouts, so I'm sure they can persuaded to pass some legislation to cover their asses in the inevitable event of asccident

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 5, 2016

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Andrast posted:

Maybe they shouldn't call it autopilot then

Air Jordans also don't give you the ability to fly

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

uninterrupted posted:

tell us more about how dumb someone is allowed to be before they deserve death.

let me help - everyone in this thread deserves death

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Pretty sure Clinton 1.0 sprayed the intern pool a few times

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

It looks like we're at the stage where the media seems to be completely zeroing in on Hillary. Aside from the "taco truck" thing, I haven't heard poo poo about Trump. I mean, yeah they're still reporting on him, sure. But this past week, unlike the past several weeks, have not been dominated by coverage on him, and at best, has been split with coverage on Hillary.

I never feared Trump suddenly winning over the hearts and minds of the rest of the country, but did fear that Hillary's biggest threat was going to be the press.

Trump might be a literal fascist, stoking the resentments of a nationwide ad-hoc militia of violent racists. But Hilary coughed during a speech.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jre posted:

This is just a bullshit PR stunt, the cars have a driver in them because they don't actually work.

Any "actual machine learning people" thinking that this will be viable in 5 years are idiots or trying to sell you something

thank you for your insight, forums user jre

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

You're literally saying that Hillary Clinton has no interest in the foundation staffed and founded by her family and close allies, and which she served on the board of directors for. That's how absurd this argument is

If Charles Koch ran for president there'd be a conflict of interest relating to Koch Industries. If Mitt Romney ran for president there'd be a conflict of interest relating to Bain Capital. True or false?

Koch Industry, Bain Capital, and the Clinton Foundation

*hmmmm yes those 3 things are the same*

*fists self while browsing reddit.com/r/the_donald*

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

A Winner is Jew posted:

The Clinton foundation employs Warren G?

well cmon... you can't just be any geek from the street, gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

emdash posted:

65 million watched the last debate in 2012

probably a lot more than that. I live in Dublin and went to debate viewing parties the last couple elections (weird I know). you could say that these people are not voters but I guess maybe there's some potential marginal effect due to the global nature of social media and public opinion

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

On the last Keepin It 1600, Jon Favreau talked about how David Axelrod calls this the Dancing Bear effect or something like that--a dancing bear gets applauded, not criticized for being off-beat

In any of the Dancing Bear videos I've watched, he's definitely getting off-beat

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

The best case scenario for Clinton is if the debates go as if it was written for a sketch on Prairie Home Companion.

Preferably if it was News from Lake Wobegon or Guy Noir, but Powdermilk Biscuits or Ketchup Advisory Board would still work.

:regd08:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

A Winner is Jew posted:

Just a reminder:

the older I get the more I realise Hunter S Thompson was basically just a GBS edgeposter before his time

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/773265179802996736

... Jesus Christ. How many women did this creep harass?

look at his fat disgusting Republican face. you already know the answer is "many"

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Eifert Posting posted:

Examples: If you say Jesus is god you are saying god poops, which is blasphemous.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Distorted Kiwi posted:

The US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce wants to put a Taco Truck at every polling site this November: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11705080

I think you elections just took a turn for the positive. If I'm lucky, I can get a steak-and-cheese pie and a Lamington after voting.

called it :colbert:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hootington posted:

Question: Having a discussion about BLM and Kaep with my fellow white coworkers. What is the best thing to say in response to black on black crime rates?

What's to say? Black people commit violence on other black people disproportionately because (i) they are more likely to be poor, poorly-educated, and have limited opportunities and (ii) they have been ghettoised into close proximity with each other by racist civic planning policies and white urban flight. It's not some inherent failing of the bloodthirsty Negro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

botany posted:

pretty sure she's just an rear end in a top hat tbh

if you're a big enough of an rear end in a top hat, eventually it falls under a few classifications in the DSM

• Locked thread