Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mr Hootington posted:

Do I blame Obamacare for the prices going up or thank obamacare for prices not increasing even more?

Basically the prices were always really expensive, but they were hidden behind insurance for the most part. Pharmaceuticals price-gouged because they could, hospitals and doctors price-gouged to get the insurance companies to pay up. Which meant that insurance companies price-gouged and offered incredibly lovely coverage to a certain section of customers to pay for the gouging while also doing their level best to outright deny service to anyone who looked like they'd be too expensive to cover.

Obamacare tried to fix this by making it illegal for insurance companies to deny customers, and in return people are legally required to have insurance or pay a fine to better subsidize and spread out the costs to the insurers. Well that kinda worked for a while until the insurance companies realized they were merely making a lot of money ($$) instead of a fuckton of money ($$$$) and they started to bitch, whine and pull back where they gave coverage, especially when the government wouldn't bend over backwards to give them blowjobs. And besides, even if the insurance companies weren't being little shits, that would only fix one third of the equation because you still have expensive drugs and expensive service. These things were known but not so blatant before the shakeup because the insurance companies did their best to hide the costs, at least hide them to the rich, white people that mattered. Now with so much chaos in the system the prices are peeking through and even white people are being slapped with the nasty prices.

In short, while the real problem is and has always been that the American healthcare system is a pile of blood-sucking leaches you can totally blame Obamacare if you're an amoral shithead. In trying to fix the problem they created instability that made it impossible for the real problems to be hidden anymore. The prices were always expensive, and Obama tried to fix it. In doing so he knocked over the facade and now the price-gouging machine is visible to all and shrieking loudly enough no one without wads of lobbyist cash stuffed in their ears can ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Your entire post depends upon this premise, but the interesting thing is why this is the case. How much was spent on R&D development (not counting funds provided by the government), including failed attempts? How much was spent on getting approval? How much does the machinery that makes it cost? How much does each unit cost in raw materials? Who are the middlemen between the manufacturer and final patient, and what are their markups?

It's not hard to find out how much a unit costs to produce. The question then is how much is reasonable to charge patients above this.

Of course, the argument tends to be that they need to charge an outrageous amount for a final product, because R&D and approval is incredibly expensive, and only a small number of their attempts make it all the way through. They need to charge exorbitant rates, otherwise they can't develop anything new. And this seems persuasive, because ultimately everyone recognizes that development of new medical products is a public good, and needs to be funded. But most people don't complete the logical circle, and realize that purchasing an epipen at an exorbitant price today so that someone else can buy the latest boner pill tomorrow is a kind of tax to fund a public good. But not everyone is paying the tax, only sick people. And that is a fundamental problem that government should address.

And how much is spent on advertising? How much is spent on putting ads for Fuckitol on TV/Radio/Billboards everywhere? How much is spent giving kickbacks to doctors every time they prescribe the newest opiate? How much is spent lobbying? How much is spent on executive bonuses after raising the price of a drug delivery system that was perfected years ago?

Yes, poo poo's expensive, however it shouldn't be nearly as expensive as it is. There has been a very real three way price gouging war between pharmaceuticals, insurance agencies and service providers for decades that's left us in this place.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

Yup all latinos eat tacos, an entire continent/ demographic.

edit: I like how this food derail is caused by Trump's POS proxy.

They do. Just they don't make them like they make the ones us gringos buy.

Working in a primarily Spanish speaking kitchen isn't the best work...but oh my god the crew-made meals make up for so much.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

gently caress, I'd vote Quark over Trump, Ferengi at least honor their contracts (even if they negotiate shadily)

He'd probably make a better Secretary of State or some other cabinet member that can spend most of the time working in the background (and serving drinks). Poor guy loses 20 IQ points, minimum, when he's the subject of the episode's A-plot (DS9 Ferengi Episodes: :suicide:). Quark would be the most gaffe-prone president to ever preside with the media focus on him 24/7.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

You know people keep going on about this magical oppo file that will nuke Trump off the map but how true is that? Trump has been a public figure that has been openly campaigning for a year and a half now. He was a public figure BEFORE he ran for president. The press has (incompetently) scrutinized him. Bloggers have gone over all his skeletons. What out there hasn't been touched that only Clinton's campaign would have access to?

Well, as the Democratic candidate she'd have gobs of connections that we wouldn't. Even if somehow you or I were at the same political shindig event as Clinton or one of her Wall Street or DC buddies (or just someone with some juicy info) they woudn't be walking up to us or one of our staffers going "Psst, hey got some real dirt on Trump..." A lot of people will want to make sure Hillary's arsenal is well stocked out of spite, or trying to earn favors with the Clintons, or simply because they don't want to take any chance an anthropomorphic orange becomes the most powerful fruit in the world.

There's also the fact that unlike you or I Clinton is a lawyer herself, and has a staff of lawyers and accountants to dig through mountains of data and legalese for niggling details to pick at until stuff starts to unravel.

Trump has a slime trail of poo poo a mile wide and 40+ years long. You bet there's a giant oppo file on Trump. Weather or not it will do more damage than using the stuff Trump gives for free remains to be seen, the stuff he shouts daily is comically effective at torpedoing his own chances, but expect to see some interesting stuff during the debates and in the final weeks leading to the election.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

botany posted:

20mil AND a public apology. they must be shaking in their boots

I think the Murdoch Sons really don't have any loyalty to Ailes that their dad did and want the old fucker out and buried ASAP. This is just their chance. Being ruthless and quick like this gives their best chance to throw the fat, paranoid rear end in a top hat under the bus and say "Look, we're totally taking Fox in a new direction!" to distract from how little they change (I have no insider information on Fox's plans, I just assume the worst out of everyone). It also, as mentioned, keeps the discussion private so we don't get to see how much of the sexist atmosphere was just Ailes and how much was the entire management as a whole.

Though it also looks like Ailes ain't too happy about the whole thing because Fox did most of the negotiating and told him/his team to sit down and shut up. The end of the Vanity Fair article mentions Ailes might be starting to raise a stink, which might ruin the Murdoch Sons' plans to keep this quick, quiet and clean.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oracle posted:

Man Phyllis Schlafly dies on Labor Day and this is all you guys can talk about? This woman was the equivalent of Margaret Thatcher on my hate scale. She pretty much single-handedly led the charge to defeat the ERA when its passage was all but assured in the 70's and was just a horrible, horrible regressive person who couldn't see past the end of her own bigoted sexist nose.

Seriously, check out these quotes:
Seriously, did I miss the five minutes of Schlafly hate? I hope she's out there wailing and gnashing her teeth along with Scalia as everything she ever believed in or supported is systematically deconstructed by Hilary Clinton's administration.

There was a decent chunk of celebrating in the RWM thread. As for this thread...USPol moves so fast this year that I just check in when I can so I dunno.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

iospace posted:

Last night was I think a real eye-opener for them when they saw how Trump was treated. Like they finally realized that "... gently caress. They are running for the same office and we're loving acting like dipshits."

Well, some of them did. We'll see how many actually did and how long that lasts.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

Nov. dem GOTV Blowout plan.

Taco Truck with baskets of delicious Mexican(churro !, god it's been a while since I had a churro) and S. American deserts/treats and pokemon shaped food stuffs and swag.

Freshly baked, warm, marranitos. I could totally scarf down on some little "gingerbread" pigs pikachus.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kilroy posted:

what the gently caress is the deal with her health, though

I find it hard to believe she's in worse shape than Trump, and anyway I'd vote for a dead Hillary over a live Donald Trump obviously, but still who loving bails on something like this unless it's serious?

It's because Trump and the GOP that are lashed to him are desperate for any kind of attack.

So when Abuela acts like, well, she's an old lady that isn't weak but is definitely past the peak of her physical fitness they take it as her literally dying to try to make her seam weak. Or perhaps to try to make it seem like a good idea to avoid voting for her/vote Trump instead. After all, the overweight goblin who descended into this election on a golden escalator is totally healthier. He even has a private doctor to say exactly that, who can you trust? Also please don't look at the VP picks just in case Hillary is actually sick, please, please, please, don't take a close look at the second half of the Trump/Pence duo

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

put a kettle on posted:

Consistent loving leadership.

On the other hand, his version of the Secret Service turned into the Superhuman Stripper Squad over the past 10,000 years.

Not sure if that is a positive or negative trait really...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

"hey boss, can I have the day off, i'm feeling a little under the weather"

- a reasonable request from a restaurant employee that will be respected

Legally, for food safety reasons, it actually should.

Doesn't mean your management will be any less lovely about it though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

haveblue posted:

It's the constant exposure to the worst white people in the world from this thread.

Well, maybe not the worst. This isn't the Forwarded E-Mails thread. I stopped reading that a long time ago because it got me angry/depressed to an unhealthy degree.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

I honestly have no idea how you people keep up with this thread anymore (I'm pretty sure none of you actually do)

Sometimes I have a half-hour or so to skim through the posts, look for interesting twitter drops but otherwise...

Grapplejack posted:

I skip to the last three pages and go from there. It's insane how this thread can get 600+ posts in a few hours.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Here's the rest! Apparently every new TV show now is about a white dad who hates kids these days. Almost like nobody under 40 watches network TV anymore

https://twitter.com/SamAdlerBell/status/775697426267181056

So basically Last Man Standing all over again, but without Tim?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

How many times is CNN going to fall for this?

As many times as Trump is gonna pull it. That's how many times.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Trilas posted:

:lol: at 56g of sugar in a bottle, Naked Juice isn't that much better than soda. Real healthy there, Dr Stein.

Depends on what it's made out of. I work in a health food shop that sells a cold-pressed "carrot-ginger elixir" that's made on-site with no added sugar. Like I've watched the juice team from start to finish toss in the carrots, apples, lemons and ginger into the press in the back of the shop. It still ends up being 48g of sugar in an 8 oz. bottle. Fruits and veggies can have surprising amounts of natural sugars. And sugars don't necessarily mean sweet. In comparison our "Chia Cashew 'milkshake' " is sugary as gently caress to the tongue with only 23g or sugars.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

visceril posted:

Kobold: who?

No take candle!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nessus posted:

Yeah like Trump's gonna actually pay for these ads. :sad:

Nah, he'll totally pay for them in full, and then some, if he can find a way to funnel the money back to himself.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

Videogames aren't art

*starts humming the theme from FTL*

DemeaninDemon posted:

Civilization is art you fucker.

And now I'm frustrated because I can't sing FTL and Baba Yetu at the same time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Can someone tell me that its bullshit that Russia at anytime can launch an attack on Western Europe and would in a few days conquer at least 30 capitals because Russia has tons of tanks just waiting for the call to storm over like a great metal flood.

Saying Russia's army could roll out and crush 30 nations and their capitols in only a matter of days is laughable. It's like saying pre-WWI Germany can just storm France and seize Paris in under 2 weeks. It ain't happening no matter how many pixies Putin grinds into dust to fuel his wishing machine. And unlike the German High Command, Putin is smart enough to realize it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ralepozozaxe posted:

What great timing for Cruz to give Trump his support.

Oh man, thank you for reminding me about that. :allears:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

vyelkin posted:

i liked the part where clinton was like "you didn't pay all these people" and trump was like "YEAH WELL MAYBE THEY DIDN'T DO A GOOD JOB DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT BITCH???"

I loved that bit.

T: "I have the bestest, yooogest business, it has grown very bigly and is full of the bestest buildings! And I'm rich!"

C: "Because you didn't pay the people that built it."

T: "Well maybe they didn't do such a good job!"

:rolleyes:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Night10194 posted:

The thing is, we had the preview of this with the Commander in Chief Forum. Trump simply can't work unscripted. He NEEDS the teleprompter.

Well, he can if his has his ideal crowd of rubes/marks to worship anything and everything he says.

In a debate setting where he has to pretend to be a sane guy and not turbofuck fascist crazyman he doesn't work nearly as well.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

lozzle posted:

Wait what happened to the Ted Cruz Zodiac Killer word filter?

He became a hilarious joke when he crumbled and endorsed Trump a few days ago.

Which is now doubly hilarious because if he'd only waited a few more days I'm pretty sure any and all pressure to jump on the sinking ship would have suddenly dried up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

On Terra Firma posted:

I just got off the phone with my mom. We were discussing last nights debate and holy gently caress is she furious over how patronizing and rude Trump was to Clinton. She took today and tomorrow off of work to go work the phones at a local Democratic party office here in Virginia and she plans to do that every day she has off all day until the election. She has NEVER been involved in any campaign and she's 63 years old. I know she wasn't a fan of Trump and was indifferent towards Clinton before but this cannot be an isolated thing. :stare:

It's not. You're like the fourth or fifth poster I've seen here or in the Debate thread who went "Oh god my mother/female relatives who may or may not have been pro-Trump/anti-Clinton are loving LIVID and want to drive a stake through Trump's chest right now."

Trump was blatantly misogynist in a way that hasn't been okay for anyone who wasn't rich(ish) or powerful and lived in their own bubble for decades. Heck he probably felt he was being pretty clever not outright insulting her and insinuating things. Which likely insulted the ladies listening even more because the insinuations are loud and clear to them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Pakled posted:

I love how all of Hillary's ads are just a collection of awful things Trump has said. It's brilliant.

Which makes Trump whining about her spending millions of dollars on ad buys even more hilarious because he whined about her saying mean things about him that "just aren't true".

Fucker, they come from your own mouth. :allears:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gyges posted:

I'm more surprised that pointing it out hasn't been a go to joke from Late Night. Maybe it'll take a couple days or so for them to digest the debate.

To be fair, I think it will take a lot of people a few days to digest the debate.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Her cracking open the op ed file is the death blow. At least I'm assuming that's the miss universe things origin.

I bet she, and Kaine, have a few other little cherries set up for Trump, and Pence, during the debates. Just sweet little things to say to their faces where their handlers can't hide from them.

Well Pence is probably smart enough to not take the bait, but as we saw Trump is physically and mentally incapable of not immediately reaching for any bait with his tiny, grabby hands and swallowing it down hook, line and sucker.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Pence thought Mulan was feminist propaganda made up by Disney. Pence is smarter than Trump, but lets not pretend that makes him actually smart.

Gyges posted:

Pence seems like a true believer in his horrible positions. Kaine can get Pence to hang himself if he can get the phrasing just right. It's not like Pence is even among the smartest of America's most terrible governors.

Oh I didn't mean Pence was a mental giant. I mostly meant he was a mental giant when stood next to Trump...and only then let's be honest. Pence has spent some time actually doing politics.

Pence is almost guaranteed to give the Hillary/Kaine campaign some juicy sound and video clips. It's just not gonna be a constant 100 minutes of the crowd going from one "did he really say that?" moment to the next.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

If Trump loses, President Clinton II will quickly forget he ever existed. I'd expect a brief dig in the victory speech about the American public not being won over by hate, and then onto business. Trump will fade into the background as Sarah Palin but rich, a quality mine of absurdity for the Daily Show for the next X years.

Not to mention a quality motherlode of lawsuits for lawyers. This election has done nothing but toss chum in the water for the sharks. Once Donald loses the protection of the GOP (and GOPe start pulling out the knives) I imagine he's suddenly going to find himself buried under lawsuits by people who aren't nearly as daunted by his ability to poo poo up the legal system as they were before.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

greatn posted:

Well he IS under audit, so not really immune.

And as he mentioned during the debate, he's been under audit for something like 15 years.

The IRS doesn't have infinite resources, if anything the Republicans have been trying to starve the beast for years, so if you're under audit it means the IRS feels they're going to get their money back and then some by hauling you (or at least your accountants) over the coals.

Which means Trump straight up refuses to learn and is already pretty much on the IRS's poo poo list. And while the IRS is non-partisan I imagine that they'll start grinning and sharpening their no. 2 pencils to a vicious point if it looks like the Republicans are gonna throw Trump under the bus come Nov. 9

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I think it's less them being tired of it and more that it's time to change the story and the debate gives them a good excuse to.

I think they got tired of it around the time that Trump trolled them by making them sit through over an hour of advertisements for the hotel they were in before Trump came on and went "Oh, right, Obama's birth certificate is totally real."

This just, as you said, gave them the excuse to tell him and his surrogates to gently caress off. Team Trump doesn't have a leg to stand on and the media is finding it more fun and profitable to kick the idiots that dragged them around while they're down.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ballz posted:

You can't search Trump's emails. The reason may come as a shock to you.

HAHAHA, holy poo poo. Literally Emailghazi? He has a parallel for Emailghazi? I mean considering what Trump does it's practically trivial and a non-starter but it's hilarious how everything Hillary has been blamed of, Trump has an equivalent that tends to be worse. Matching her nearly 1:1. How's he actually gonna match Benghazi itself? Is it gonna come out that he let some of his workers die to terrorists because he refused to pay the ransom or poo poo like that?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Andrew Jackson was undoubtedly a worse person.

And yet I'd still vote Andrew "Violent, angry, racist sociopath who loving rattles as he walks from the number of dueling pistols he's been shot with" Jackson over Donald "Pathetic, fragile, disgustingly misogynistic, racist, platter of orange gelatin" Trump in a heartbeat.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Trilas posted:

Pence must be tense, and that makes sense. Nothing can save him from the Kaine pain train. Not even prep with Walker as the other talker. And if Walker fails? They'll bring in Ailes, and October 4th, Pence may dare to talk about Bill's affair. That he'll regret; Kaine won't break a sweat. At the mention of Monica, he'll just brush it off and play his harmonica.

:golfclap:
Nicely done. I feel Harmonica's a bit forced, but at the same time the list of things that rhymes with Monica is pretty short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I was mostly wondering if he'd done something special or if it was just them going 'You know, part Jewish.'

Well, as people said Milo did recently also scam a bunch of alt-right. Dunno if this might be related to this or just a dude being pissed that Milo is part-Jewish.

• Locked thread