Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CascadeBeta posted:

Guys Hillary's down to 75% on FiveThirtyEight. I'm Arzying so hard! :supaburn:

How's she looking in the state polls? I'm assuming it's still more than fantastic.

Ya she's ahead still in every swing state, with comfy margins in states that add up to well over 270 EV

Rasmussen just had a ridiculous tracker poll but if tracking polls aren't entirely stupid and pointless then this election hasn't done much to disabuse me of this belief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't get how the takeaway here is that Clinton has no EV advantage tbqh

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

zoux posted:

Nate needs clicks!

Like, if Trump had those numbers I'd already be carving a new life for myself out in the Canadian wilderness

But Clinton does and all of a sudden it's irrelevant

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

She's so scandal plagued that they can't find anything else to talk about re: her scandals except for the one thing a majority of Americans are sick of hearing about

If they get so many complaints that they stop on their own and Clinton refuses to give them more ammo, what do they do?

Haha trick question the media will never stop talking about emails

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lol look at the narrative pushing pre-writes that went out yesterday and tell me he isn't going to "win" the debate even if he does toss a Hitler salute

poo poo Ingram tossed one to a giant picture of Trump and nobody seemed to take notice is the press, at least not off Twitter

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

APHC exists to cater to people who have a compulsive desire to be soothed and it fills this niche masterfully. It doesn't do a whole lot else.

I think it's dull as poo poo and can't stand it but I can see how someone could enjoy it I guess

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The only truly awful, garbage-tier poo poo NPR has is their election coverage and this one time I tuned in and it was some show that was literally just wall to wall rich people chatting about their favorite places to vacation. It was the worst thing I've ever heard in my entire life and to this day I can't imagine a more terrible premise for a show, which may be why I've never heard it again

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That was the contents of the text that Clinton forced him at gunpoint to send, correct

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

What're they going to do with a Clinton presidency when they pull tabloid poo poo and suddenly find themselves replaced with a different news outlet in the WH press briefings because Hilary's sick of their stupid poo poo? :allears:

Secret Service: "I'm sorry, but we've found someone more qualified to take your place at this press conference. The President says you need to leave."

Replace: "But...but, is that a chimp smoking a cigar in my usual seat?"

Secret Service: "I think we're done here"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

AmiYumi posted:

Hasn't it only been one day since Trump literally enacted that 4chan cartoon where a guy sees a minority, cringes and cries, and then as soon as he gets home is all "godDAMN I showed that [racial slur of choice] what, beat his rear end good and made him pay me for it, gonna build a wall"? Just confirming, because this thread seems to have gone insane with a bunch of posters working out daddy issues via Keilor-as-proxy. What the gently caress, you guys.

?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Look lady, it's a truck that sells tacos, I'm not sure what's being rotated here

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They don't yet know that their seats are on the wing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't like it though. The press has proven many times that they have no intention of being fair or not holding Clinton to ridiculous double standards.

I'd rather she just keep blowing them off instead of inviting a bunch of people paid by Zucker and Murdoch to dig through her trash cans for anything they can find

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Don't hold your breath on the press stopping whining about anything, ever, but especially not something a Clinton is doing.

After her last presser they were back to whining about pressers within like 30 seconds

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Night10194 posted:

In fairness, they're kind of doing that anyway.

True, but her dragging her feet on an FOIA request by JW that ended up being a long fight just for some emails about ordering coffee is a funny way to spit in their eyes

I'm not sure I can handle false equivalency stories about how Clinton not offering their preferred dressing is as bad as Trump planning on stripping the first amendment

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

She's flush with cash...she should lavish them with food and entertainment like she knows Trump cannot. She will still not admit them to her royal court of course, but they will feast and be merry provided they do not cross her in public

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

She is but she's running on a more progressive platform than Bill ever did because she responds to voter demands like a professional politician should. She's not a proper leftist or anything but what she's running on is far and away better than any other options.

As an aside, they're running billboard ads in Milwaukee for Johnson now, saying that he's the only sane candidate running. :laffo:

Best part is that "they" probably mean the Koch brothers, if it's a campaign ad

It's funny how Clinton and Trump are the worst but Johnson is great, but as soon as you ask them what they like or explain his frankly disastrous tenure as NM gov it's hands clapped on ears.

This is, of course, why 3rd party candidates always poll like 6-8x higher than their final turnout ends up being, because none of their supporters actually intend to go out and vote for them. They just want to feel above it all

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

size1one posted:

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where Trump wins the debate. He cannot go head to head with her on policy. His vague proposals will not stand up to scrutiny and so all she has to do is press for details. His only hope is to catch her off guard and break her concentration. He'd have to say something offensive enough to trip her up, but not so offensive that it actually costs him votes. You know she's prepping for emails, benghazi, and every other Clinton scandal. I've got nothing.

He doesn't throw up and because he has cleared the extremely low bar he was given, he will be declared the winner.

Most people don't watch the debate and just get their opinion of it from the press the next day so what actually happens during it doesn't really matter

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A lot of people are going to watch this live. And if it were true that everyone just deferred to the media narrative with these things than how come it was nationally recognized that Trump's RNC speech was so bad and the entire DNC was propelled Hillary's numbers into orbit?

The press the day after Trump's speech were largely saying it was ghastly, dark, and scarily authoritarian.

Clinton did get a big, long lasting boost from the DNC that has faded a bit nationally, but since then she has put NH and CO and VA into "for sure" territory. I'd say that's a pretty big boost.

size1one posted:

Most elections aren't even remotely this contentious. I think a lot of people will tune in hoping to see the train wreck.

Maybe, but even best case scenarios will have half of the future electorate watching even a minute of it. Where do the other half get their opinions of it from?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

I like how she is just admitting that the GOP is incapable of ever changing itself to the point that immigrant populations would ever consider voting for them.

Plus I thought they were all voting right now anyway, hence the need for strict voter ID laws

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Evangelicals will turn out bigly for Trump because they're all about white supremacy, and so it Trump, but Romney wasn't.

If Romney had promised to bring back the days where any colored who dared question them or try to vote or stand up for themselves would end up from a tree with lots of smiling white faces surrounding them they would've turned out for him too

Trabisnikof posted:

I wonder how many people actually think Clinton is lying about her stance on CU.

Anyone in this thread brave enough to admit to that view?

We drilled them on this too often in the primaries and now they're wise to it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

And, finally, as someone who has read the bible cover to cover, studied its interpretations and history and so on I have no earthly idea how anyone could read it Literally. For god's sake, The four most important books are different accounts of the life of Jesus. How the gently caress do you read them without realizing the way each writer's voice influences the story? :psyduck:

lol you read it to form the basis of your opinions? no wonder so much of white Christian culture is a mystery to you

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's always fun seeing Evangelicals who spend a lot of time on the grift circuit step out of the bubble for the first time, where they can be questioned or made to look unflattering and they do not have the recourse of ostracization

Same thing happened to Friend Ben in the primary when he first started getting scrutiny

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Globalists! :argh:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also strictly speaking, "NO TPP" was demanded of Elijah Cummings as he told the story of growing up a poor sharecropper turned civil rights leader, and how it relates to the current rise of white nationalism in the United States, not Clinton

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

This is what I was referencing. I just couldn't remember if it was him or John Lewis. I read the DNC thread but didn't catch that speech, which is how I was aware of it happening.

Also, isn't he anti-TPP anyway? It was so dumb and pointless.

Note: you can criticize TPP for not being a great deal without buying into the premise that free trade is fundamentally bad.

When you think about it, it's kind of crazy that both of them are Democrats when they're the party of the KKK and slavery

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's weird, Reuters/Ipsos changes its models to assuming that minority turnout is massively reduced and white turnout reaches record levels, and suddenly Trump is picking up traditionally whiter states he didn't have before!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Glad the feds took him in. If it was the locals they'd probably release him and then you end up with a situation like the dude who got released after running an immigrant's mom over then getting back from jail and shooting him.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Geostomp posted:

Is it just crappy polling to drum up horse race attention or do they really think the opposite of reality will happen here?

It's probably the first unless they're anticipating enormous amounts of Democratic votes being driven out to the boonies and burned by desperate state GOP parties, which if that's the case they need to be honest

I lean toward the former tho because they changed it without telling anybody and it took weeks to get the new info out of them. Of course they're the media so obviously they can't do anything wrong

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also lmao talking about automation on labor day weekend? Disrespectful. Here I'll join you:

If poo poo gets bad enough my plan is to smash up robots and wreck up any factory that uses them overwhelmingly because automation is wrecking the playing field in America more than anything else and it's abundantly clear that poo poo all is going to get done unless automation is given some extra costs to factor in before everybody gets laid off.

edit - the extra costs are the costs of replacing the machine a few times if it's located near enough angry unemployed people

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

And the posters name was Ned Ludd

Maybe just twist up something inside the robot that's important, so an honest real human has to come out and repair it. Maybe that human opens it up and takes note of other stuff human-servicable that it'd be a shame if got twisted up or went missing

I'm not anti-robot but will probably functionally be so until there's a GMI tbh.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wow gently caress Wallace. Is he even remotely better now?

If he was better now he'd be out of work

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Defenestration posted:

While we discuss automation, LIU has locked out its faculty. On labor day.

Their contract expired August 31st, but they are not striking. 400 Professors wanted to work and were scheduled to vote on the new contract offer and instead LIU deactivated their emails and canceled their health insurance with no notice. Tenured faculty included. LIU then laughably assigned geriatric Deans to teach classes like dance and yoga. (To say nothing of complicated intellectual subjects.) Their excuse is that they promised students they would cap tuition hikes at 2%, and they can't afford to pay faculty at the Brooklyn campus equal wages as the faculty on the Long Island campus. (Guess what the demographics are of the Brooklyn campus vs LI)

The Nation also covered this. Looks like the University President Kimberly Cline is a proven strikebreaker who is austerity-ing the university into the ground. Tuition remains in the 40 thousands.

I don't know much about the negotiations themselves, but here's the current counteroffer (which LIU had to announce via twitter since they deactivated everyone's emails.
http://liu.edu/offer

Every student needs to sue the gently caress out of that school because they are conspiring to not provide the education they are paying for in clear, absolute, unambiguous terms

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If suddenly there's nobody driving trucks, it means there's going to be an extra person at drat near every stop that truck has to help unload it which is just one of a hundred things other than drive that a truck driver does.

That's a huge net gain in employment, but realistically it just means the companies will keep their drivers on because the "free" labor of the driver for the business will land them more contracts and they'll be saving more than the driver's salary in insurance costs by having a human on board

We're talking about an industry that still hasn't come to terms with red cars

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's scary that we may have a situation in my lifetime where a very large number of people have their jobs completely replaced by automation and I'm not sure what we're going to do with all of these people.

It did happen to a degree in manufacturing, but if it happens in some of these other sectors I'm not sure what the ultimate outcome will be.

Lol that already happened and it's happening at an accelerating pace. We're wealthier and more productive than any other country in history, including previous iterations of ourself

The outcome is a worse version of what you're seeing now, people just think it's furriners taking the jobs is all, and they'll think it until every job is gone because we worship capital in this country

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SimonCat posted:

You don't see the difference between the country as a whole being wealthier and that wealth being more concentrated at a higher level compared to a more even distribution even if the total is less?

Well yeah, I highlighted that bit for a reason.

Also lol of course the IBJ is pushing trickle down

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

wixard posted:

You really think they're going to automate truck-driving, but running a pallet jack on a dock is going to be a definitively human job?

I don't even think the first thing tbh

If it was ever going to be the case that something like that would be fully automated we wouldn't have pilots anymore already

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

https://twitter.com/GovAbbott/status/772766382077321216

Greg Abbott wants to remind people to thank the real heroes of Labor Day.

Well, it can at least be said that the military and uniformed services certainly played a role in labor disputes

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Have we considered that making expensive cars that kill the drivers is just a really effective plan to cull the top in the leadup to the glorious people's revolution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The problem is that we have to let any old idiot rear end in a top hat drive because in 99% of the country you literally can't lead a productive life unless you drive like an hour a day at least

There's millions of people who believe cruise control will drive their car for them and are only alive because they're not smart enough to engage it

• Locked thread