Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unzip and Attack posted:

I honestly cannot believe how impressive Clinton was tonight. Should have known what to expect given her masterful handling of the 11 hour Congressional grilling but I thought the combination of Donald'd unpredictability and the high stakes might shake her. I have never been happier to be so wrong.

She played it perfectly - cutting him off at the legs in short, brutal attacks but never once overextending herself so that the "villain" was the meek as gently caress moderator rather than the most hated progressive of the last 25 years. This will go down as one of the all time great debate performances, though I doubt it has any huge effect on the polls. Trump's supporters will say he won until they die.

It depends. Watched the debate with my extremely Republican parents, and while my dad (who is far more extreme and is so racist that he will sometimes even admit to it) was adamant that Trump won, said Hillary looked awful and unhealthy (and claimed to not even notice the sniffling, somehow), my mom (who's more moderate and tends to "only" be accidentally, naively, or misguidedly racist) was by the end of it mocking Trump a bit and acknowledging good moves Hillary made and, while still pro-Trump, said he totally blew it here and just couldn't keep control and that Hillary manhandled him, though she still viewed the moderator as biased. Though I'll admit a question or two there were probably meant to bait him (but his argument with Lester was entirely his own fuckup and a sign that he was definitely melting down).

Taking this anecdotal evidence as hard data, an entirely reasonable course of action that is not at all flawed in any way, among those who watched the debate the less-blind Trumpers and more moderate Rebublicans will admit he lost and some might even be ashamed to not vote for him, those who didn't watch it and don't see clips will probably think their candidate of choice won, the crazies will be unmoved, and this will boost Hillary's numbers but not enough as we'd all like.

Still, it's a good start for her. If he doesn't chicken out then hopefully she can keep it up. I mean, I don't see why she wouldn't be able to, other than hubris, but still. I'm a bit more optimistic again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saeka posted:

page 666 everybody support trump until 667

He was slightly less orange this go around! #WINNER

It was the cocaine.

Anyway, Hillary savaged him, and that's pretty much what I wanted. I wish she broke him further, and she had a few awkward/not-ideal moments, but I'm happy with what happened. She's not a perfect candidate and I have a lot of problems with her, but her ability to murder Trump on live television is one of the few things that I genuinely like about her, and wow, she did not disappoint there. And we've got two more of these if Trump doesn't chicken out, plus Kaine hopefully taking Pence to task for all the awful things he's done in Indiana.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

Yes I do, it actually does not impact the presidential election very much.

You can't win half of the Presidency.

This is a really stupid post, wow.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

Which candidate won 51% of the vote?

As a reminder, in the US you do not automatically win the Presidency if you get under 50% (but still the largest proportion) of the vote.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

poo poo, they wouldn't even say that much. Every time a Trump supporter is confronted with something he had lied about or did illegal, IMMEDIATELY they say, "Well, Hillary did...:words:" Trump could murder school children and his supporters would say "Well, Hillary did...:words:"

This is true. A week or two ago I was talking with my grandmother and aunts and mom about politics, and eventually brought up Trump almost definitely being a rapist and possibly even being a child rapist. After a bit of argument, they conceded that he probably was a rapist... And they were still going to vote for him over Hillary.

There's nothing he could do to lose his support with some people.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rosalind posted:

Well Trump destroyed one child's life but how many thousands of whistle blowers, journalists, and former aides have the Clintons killed?!?

That's actually not far off; they brought up Benghazi and called her a murderer and stuff.

I mean, even if she is a murderer, I'd rather have a murderer than a rapist running the country, but, yeah.

I still want to know their thoughts on the debate, though. I bet they weren't happy if they actually watched it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epic High Five posted:

Post-debate consensus from the lunatic fringe left pro-Stein people I keep in my feed is pretty surprising. Out of 4 of them, 3 have been posting extremely pro-Clinton articles (they don't make real posts about politics but share a hundred articles an hour so this is what I have to go by) and seem to have decided that it's more fun to join the Space Empress and mock Trump than to hold out when nobody is paying attention to you and your own candidate is super unpopular and dumb. Plus I think actually seeing her put up with Trump and pretend he's an equal to her seems to have driven home the whole, "uhhh maybe a lot of this is manufactured outrage" thing to two of them.

The one holdout is not actually a holdout. It's tough to gauge where he sits at any given moment (independents :rolleyes:) but it seems he's defected and is feeling the Johnson now.

Huh, I wonder if I should have not unfollowed the two of those people I had in my feed before. Then again I unfollowed both not so much for their stupid politics and more because both are huge assholes, one getting into ridiculous fights and the other, despite his Twitter profile declaring him to be a "Proponent of radical empathy", doing things like retweeting a "well Hillary's bad too" reply to someone talking about how Trump basically destroyed her town's economy and calling it a "burn". Both of them came off as so anti-Hillary that they might actually want Trump to win. Both also considered themselves leftists/progressives while being #NeverHillary types, which, well, if you'd rather see a facist take power than vote for a moderate, you aren't actually progressive in my opinion.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 29, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

I've been out of the loop since the actual airing of the debate. What's the latest bout of scandals? Thread seems to be in good spirits and I see a few posts talking about for-real treason, presumably committed by Trump?

One of Trump's businesses did business with Cuba during the embargo and his campaign seems to be defending it rather than denying it, among other things. If this gains traction it should lose him Florida (if it's not lost already) as nearly every Cuban-American turns against him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

yeah but let the bodies get cold before you talk about replacing them with something better, and how great it is that you'll be able to make use of that location. 'last tuesday.'

"For you, the day the World Trade Center was destroyed was the most important day of your life. But for me... It was Tuesday."
- Donald Trump

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 30, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Armani posted:

Everyone loving read these. Woooow.

E: HE PASSES OUT HATS. Dude what the loving actual

I was just going to say it even has hats, wow. That's amazing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

The economy is okay-ish, food prices are attainable, emergency medical care available, and broadly speaking a good chunk of the population are able to eat and have internet by one means or another. While individuals may exist with a perfect storm of "wife leaving me and taking the kids, got fired, out of funds and creditors calling, own guns, underlying mental issues, and I hate Hillary", the overall body of people are comfortable enough that they aren't going to risk it all stirring up serious poo poo. While you have some Bin Laden/Bundy folks who are willing to risk danger despite their privileged position, they're a pretty small cadre.

Overall just most Americans are vaguely comfortable enough that taking huge personal risk is unappealing compared to bitching, or are mentally unhinged enough to not be a competent threat. But boy howdy will they talk some poo poo.

Most of Y'all Qaeda was also too chickenshit to actually do anything when the poo poo hit the fan; the moment the FBI dropped the hammer, almost all of them surrendered and went home. The only exceptions were Finicum (who was probably panicking and/or legitimately thought he could escape/shoot his way out, and was also a special level of awful person, what with his effective child slavery and all) and the poor guy at the end who, in addition to already having mental issues and being depressed, was primarily left behind because the other assholes couldn't stand him and pushed him out of the vehicle as they left, leaving him suicidal after everything collapsed and he spent several days trapped with the other three remaining assholes (who likewise caved pretty easily for all their harsh words). And I guess the Bundy father perhaps, but he didn't get a chance to do anything because he was an idiot who took a plane and was nabbed at the airport because he had no protection or guns after disembarking. As a whole, the movement got together, felt empowered by their guns and numbers, threw their weight around as long as they met no resistance, and then crumbled the moment real consequences (beyond destroying their insides with lovely food and crapping in a hole outside) loomed.

Now, I'm admittedly not an expert on this sort of thing, but from what I can see, most of Trump's supporters are the same. There are almost definitely some people out there who are truly dangerous, but, well, they'd probably be dangerous anyway, I think. There will probably be horrible things happening post-election (we've already seen that Trump's stirred up enough hate to cause the hate crime rate to increase), but I doubt there's going to be an epidemic of McVeigh-style attacks or anything. Most of his supporters are loudmouthed assholes who mostly just yell at people on the Internet or occasionally on the street.

Hopefully, at least. I dunno, maybe one of the people who studies this sort of thing professionally will have a different opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epic High Five posted:

Also the Bundys are the biggest welfare queens in the country that aren't incorporated

That's one of the things that's so hilarious to me about them and Finicum becoming conservative idols; they are the "welfare queen" stereotype they so often attack. Like, besides using them for (illegal, as far as I'm aware) labor, the many kids Finicum fostered got him absurd amounts of money, which is also the only reason his business stayed afloat; without the subsidized child labor, his farm was completely and utterly unprofitable.

And yet he's held up as a conservative icon and hero. It's ridiculous.

• Locked thread