Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Kissinger's endorsement will be a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

giving a poo poo about kissingers endorsement is dumb af

Nah. My hatred for him and his stratum of foreign policy thinkers is one of the animating features of my politics. Having him endorsing the Democratic candidate sucks, to me.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yessss Kissinger won't endorse Clinton!

I'm with her now.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Amazing.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Deified Data posted:

Stein's platform

Yes, she's very "left". It's important that we don't play No True Scotsman with liberals we don't like.

Do you differentiate between liberals and the left? I'm not asking to be a dick, some people don't think it's a valuable distinction in the US.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

PhazonLink posted:

alas we just have that Dreamer/immigrant girl asking Rand Paul and him leaving his burger lunch.gif

Hahaha I forgot about that, does anyone have that handy?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The 45th anniversary of the Attica Prison Riot is coming up.

A group called the Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee, affiliated to the Wobblies, is trying to effect a nationwide strike among prison laborers.

I haven't heard much about it from even lefty outlets but I'm interested to see whether they have pockets of success. Outside Twitter I've only seen things about it on Rawstory in an article written by a Wobbly.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Like 40 accounts on Twitter have noted that this looks like a terrible remake of Gattaca.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Thinking back to the Bush years and the intimidating power the Evangelicals held...it's pretty wild to see how far we've come and how they have been marginalized.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Blue Texas seems like a pipe dream to me - one worth pursuing though. More energized Democrats means it will be easier to recruit good candidates down-ballot and put a Senate seat in play with the right candidate.

But seriously I just can't envision a world where the GOP lets TX become competitive.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

theflyingorc posted:

14 three star, and 88 in total, you say

Lol this jumped right out at me, too.

I wonder who the Sherrif Star Generals are endorsing...

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Ferguson-based activist Darren Seals (@KingDSeals on Twitter) was murdered today.

He was involved with the protests following Mike Brown's murder and was well-known for sharply criticizing activists who weren't from the area.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Vic Berger continues to demonstrate virtuosic command of this campaign's aesthetic grotesqueries.

https://twitter.com/vicbergeriv/status/773337420741939200

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hawaiian Humpback Whales are no longer considered endangered, per the NOAA.

:unsmith:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I posted another article about this a few days ago but from a smaller source, but The Nation has published an article about a massive prison strike planned for tomorrow in commemoration of the Attica Prison Riot. The prisoners demand fair treatment and pay for their labor, improved food, and air conditioning.

The situation in the US Prison system is obviously appalling, and I hope this gets some attention in the mainstream press. It's a good read and extremely :smith:.

The IWW is providing some of the organizational muscle which came a surprise to me. The AFL-CIO has run some ads decrying mass incarceration - would be nice to see them get involved in a campaign along these lines but they probably won't.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Hollismason posted:

It's great that we are having these conversations about sexual assault but why do people immediately discount the claims against Bill Clinton.

Basically because they like his policies and think he was a good president.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There's been word that:

Ed Rendell - Sec of Transportation
Neera Tanden - Chief of Staff or Economic Advisor
Jennifer Granholm - Attorney General
Michele Flournoy - Secretary of Defense

No reporting for anything else.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Two of those are possible. The first two aren't.

Clearly Leon Trotsky 2012 is citing this GalacticAcid post from July 8, 2015.

GalacticAcid posted:

[Rendell] wants a cabinet position. He speaks constantly about infrastructure ~ at think tanks, on TV, on the radio, and on Twitter, so I suspect he's angling for Transportation. Although if the Clintons asked him to run for Senate instead, he probably would.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Whoa, Wired wrote about today's prison strike. Previously I had only really seen posts from left wing websites.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Frogfingers posted:

They should bring back Reich as Sec Labor. Dude was Bernie 0.5 back in the 90s.

Reich endorsed Sanders. I highly doubt he will receive any favors from a Clinton Administration.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Univision has voted to delete six Gawker posts, including the one about Chuck Johnson making GBS threads himself or whatever it was.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Gawker writers are all insanely pissed, obviously.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Teddybear posted:

And pretty rightfully so. Univision probably had no legal liability for the existing content. They took it down in the fear that a new standard might be made where hosting the archive may be considered publication and leave them liable. Which is dumb.

Yep, I agree. It sucks.

https://twitter.com/jordansarge/status/774467409260544000

Very :smith:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/resnikoff/status/774604796368158720

(Posting image since it's a quote tweet):

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Meanwhile, from the leather briefcase of deplorables,

https://twitter.com/business/status/774618622257922048

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Wow Abe...making war on eleven states and killing your own people...not a good look...

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

BiohazrD posted:

This is dumb and not a story but having grown up in Houston lmao at New Yorkers saying 80% humidity at 90 degrees is inhospitable.

nachos posted:

New Yorkers actually have to walk and do things outside instead of shuttling themselves from one air conditioned area to another.

I grew up in south Florida and the New York summers are far more brutal despite lower overall temperatures and humidity

Lol. Yeah I don't have A/C and Queens has been brutal this summer. Also Texas sucks.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Today, we must all put aside our difference to remember September 11, 1973.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Gawker Editorial Union posted a condemnation of Univision for deleting six posts, read here.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Why The Prison Strikes Going On Across America Really Matter, via Vice.

*raises fist*

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/nro/status/775734050355044387

Lmfao

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
William F Cuckley

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

vorebane posted:

For way back, but I would like this too, there's probably a megathread already, I dunno. Mother Jones is cool.

Periodicals Thread.

It's been pretty dormant but if someone kickstarts it I'll start posting regularly in there again.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

hiddenriverninja posted:

anyone have a screen cap? tweet looks to be deleted.

Edited for thumb tags

GalacticAcid fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 13, 2016

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

HannibalBarca posted:

I'm not sure I will ever truly understand Republican politics:

https://twitter.com/bethreinhard/status/775766740483600384

Throwback to one of my favorite campaign moments -

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

hiddenriverninja posted:

There's no way that can be real.

It was lol, here's the USPol: May post.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I honestly thought that tweet from Eichenwald was a callback to "Did Glenn Beck Rape and Murder a Girl in 1990?" because online has destroyed my brain.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Monsanto has accepted a $66B buyout from Bayer.

So now dumb hippie libs have a new GMO boogeyman.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Night10194 posted:

I'm kinda incredulous that the author of that Newsweek piece thought it was something that would change the tenor and discussion of the election.

Like, it's definitely not good for Trump, but none of his supporters are with him for his business acumen. Not really.

The guy's pretty weird. It's also clear to me that he intended to obfuscate and confuse by posting the mental breakdown tweet right before announcing that he has a bombshell article on the way. He's desperate for hype, he sucks.

lozzle posted:

B-but muh Frankenfood! :catstare:

Lol

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

RevKrule posted:

Bayer literally created heroin so I don't think it's that new of a boogeyman

They also created Zyklon B lol. But still, neither heroin nor Zyklon B are GMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Pellisworth posted:

Trump courting the Jill Stein voter

He's actually courting suburban women. Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil are, after all, Oprah's creations. Trump used to go on the Oprah Winfrey Show sometimes so now he's going to the B team.

• Locked thread