Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, how does this work for a citizen?

Not very well, as you can imagine. Fail the paper bag test, get shipped off to a foreign country and it's up to you to prove your way back. It's happened a few timesonce when ICE fucks up particularly badly.

Shockingly this never happens to a be-suited wallstreet investor, it happens to the most vulnerable mentally disabled homeless people on the street.

Edit: in case you thought I was kidding.

E2: I thought there were more cases. I mixed up "citizens were brought in and detained" with "were actually deported" numbers.

Harik fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Uranium 235 posted:

NYT changed it to "stronghold of the Islamic State" which is also totally wrong. ISIS does not hold any part of Aleppo--it is split between the Syrian regime and Syrian rebels. The Syrian regime holds territory between ISIS and Aleppo.

Since when has the NYT been a mouthpiece for the Kremlin? Because that's absolutely their line for why they are bombing Aleppo - everyone not with Assad is "ISIS".

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

VanSandman posted:

I've never really bought the whole 'nobody thought mittens would lose on his team' bit, those cards were canceled fast. Somebody was ready to tear the whole apparatus down immediately.

This is begging the question (used correctly): your conclusion is baked into the assumption that he would be paying these now-redundant positions when he won. He was ready to toss his campaign staff, the only change was also tossing his transition team.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
There's basically no chance they'll be able to meet that goal, but it's a good one to set nonetheless. Not quite making that is a hell of a lot better than not-quite-making their previous goal.

Alternately: The big one happens and California goes back to 1700s levels of emissions.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Is this where we link all the posts where people said it was just about HH and that people saying it'd set a chilling precedent were being overdramatic, followed by either :smug: or :colbert:? It may just be.

FWIW the posts in question are still up as of Saturday morning, so there may be a some internal pushback going on. If they do delete, they spent a bunch of money on now-dead properties - I can't see any writers staying on-board, and it'll be hard to get new ones knowing that anything you do has to be completely in-offensive to anyone with money.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Yeah but only daytraders and the Federal reserve gave a poo poo about some random investment house loving up and declaring bankruptcy. It'll be a bit before people start to realize just how hosed we are.

The meltdown was already in progress, but nobody really knew about it.

Relevant personal anecdote: By this point the hedgefund backing our company had seen it coming and broke their contract with us, clawing back their loan (and every other outstanding loan they had) to try to de-leverage. Fuckers killed us to save their own skin. Good times!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
When do polls really solidify? Last 2 weeks? after the debates?

I'm worried about the senate if this is a comfortable win instead of a Mondale-level blowout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

rscott posted:

There are such a thing as valid protest votes, e.g voting for Clinton under the work families party ticket in new york to show your skepticism towards Democratic sincerity to labor protection

This may be 100 pages ago, but it was never actually commented on so hey, I'll bring it back:

Are those actually counted? I've never voted for my preferred candidate under a different party so I have no idea how that would even work. I wouldn't mind a valid clinton vote under a party that has a platform that I agree with more than the generic DNC. I hadn't even looked into the possibility because I thought it was a wasted vote.

I'm rather paranoid of wasted votes: I'm one of the 533 Floridians who hosed the country in 2000. Mission accomplished, I guess.

• Locked thread