Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
These threads can be fun when there is something in the news to talk about like trump.

These derails into trigger warnings and religion 101 are rather off putting.

The one thing I am surprised with is the acknowledgement of the term alt right by the "main stream media" and the Clinton campaign.

Would have thing the spot light on these groups grow or shrink them? Could it grant them legitimacy?

The other thing I worry about is the state of the democratic party. Trump is very toxic to non whites and is basically driving them to the dems because of our two party system. But if you take away the enemy of my enemy, stuff can they keep it together to get some problems solved.

This has been on mind since the Orlando shooting.

Conservatives: "a member of a group I hate shot up members of another group I hate....I have mixed feelings about this"

Liberals: "a member of a group I support shot up members of another group I support.....I have mixed feelings about this"

If the GOP wants to get in the white house they are gonna have to find a different wedge to peel off democratic voters, conversationally the democratic party is gonna have to find a way to keep its support when we dont have the evil orange man yelling about poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Trump isn't an existential threat to non-whites that is driving them into a temporarily partnership with Democrats. The GOP as a whole is doing that, and the Democratic Party is becoming more and more reliant on and composed by minorities. Trump is definitely driving up turnout, but unless the GOP actually jettisons the the Southern Strategy they've been desperately trying to hide for decades, minorities are not going to come flocking back to the GOP. Given the wise insight into race that the GOP has been displaying, I expect 2017 rebuilding to be built on Taco Tuesdays and Soul Food Sundays, as presented by rich old white people pretending not to be double checking their car lock every time the attendees walk by.

I am going to assume you mean minorities as in (none whites).

my concern comes from the fact that minorities are not a monolithic bloc, and I doubt there is much solidarity between all the different groups.

I've talked about my retarded fox news watching friend in other threads.

But he likes to say "Mexican, Blacks, and Muslims are really conservatives they just dont know it but yeah they are if you look at social issues like gay marriage, etc you know blacks are very religious etc"

He does this when I point out how his team lost with mittens.

I tried to point out how condescending he sounded and now that I think about it the whole TRUMP

"What do you blacks have to lose by voting for me, you lot is awful under obama it will be awful under crooked Hillary"

looks more like a another version of "you silly people are really on our side your just too stupid to know it"

The southern strategy worked on a level of adding abstraction to the mix, hence the adopting of economic polices to hurt poor black more than whites.

If you rebuke the white nationalism and just put a spin on conservatism as an ideology to appeal to different blocks of voters. Remember Goldwater hated the new conservatism under regan, which is very different than what we see today.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Eifert Posting posted:

How do they believably try to about face re: minority outreach without starting Tea Party 2: eclectic biggot loons?

I know I am just being cynical. But

1. The fact that we call the ALT right, literally the Alternative Right. Gives alittle deniability. they can just say "WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THOSE CRAZY PEOPLE, TYPICAL LIBERAL MEDIA SAYING THINGS THAT ARE JUST NOT TRUE"

2. The fact that trump is a outsider to the GOP establishment, hell that was part of his appeal.

3. People have short memories

I remember in the late 90's and early 00's i heard of a group called the log cabin republicans who I guess were gay but liked the low tax thing.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

They just want to feel above it all

Yep I got into it with a far distant family member, I guess it was awkward for her cause she just met me, and I was fool hardy to bring up my friend who is gonna touch the johnson.

She said hilary is bad and she is voting third party. I went into my simpsons. "GO AHEAD THROW YOUR VOTE AWAY" voice.

She left the room.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

alpha_destroy posted:

Jesus Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: I mean, it is a good burn but gently caress. That's the kinda poo poo that I think is masterful and funny when said, you know, not to the actual person. Jeez.

I tired google but do we know how she died? 47 is rather young to go in your sleep

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

canepazzo posted:

Kinda been buried between the Arzying and the bottom of last page, but the Newsweek article is mindbogglign to me. This is all public domain stuff, how has this stuff not been vetted before he even announced his bid for candidacy?

I am gonna guess because in the over crowded field everyone was working on getting dirt on eachother why waste time and money for trump.

Then they all hoped someone else would blink and take him down.

Boy it would be great if we had a media with some guts asking hard question.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I was talking with a woman friend of mine about the head lines of Hilary taking 9 sips of water.

She went off on how sexist this poo poo is getting she doesnt really get the political but she can smell the sexism.

Now pleas for give me my french I dont know the polite term in this forum, but a classmate of mine who is a woman and is basically.....obese...post a photo of her FB about how there was hiliary body double. The proof was that if you compare to photos of her side profile in one where she is looking down you see a chin line, but in the other side profile when she is looking up you dont see the chin line.

I nearly lost it on her, because every selfie on her FB is taken from a raised angle with her looking up in the camera, and I've see her in real life stretch her neck like crazy to get ride of her chin line.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

ftfy

yeah when i worked for the census whit was 'being descended from any of the peoples of europe, north africa, or the middle east' or something

My buddy had a goverment job, there was some training program, had some immigrants go through the program they were from north africa. Since the gov was envoled they do some pretty heavy tracking of stats for the people who go through the program. I guess funding depends on it. So the dudes from north Africa they wanted to put down "white" his co worker wanted to put them down as hispanic which they found strange.

He told his co worker they were from north africa so shouldnt it be "african"?

I think they got to be white after all.

Hey sanders you back in Japan? I thought you was kicking it in hawaii.

Also SE asia racism is kinda weird. Its like its own little microcosm

The japanese looked down pretty hard on the koreans. Thai's think they are the master race. etc.

Oh I once had a college prof who was from Japan, do the "there are 3 races" speech. I asked her about native americans and Pacific islanders

She dodge it sooo well. "There are three races, well yeah there are more but there are three races"

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: ^^^ The media is gutless and in death throws also decades of accusing them of being biased has worked. The reporters cant ask hard questions cause they will lose access, or the viewers will turn on them for being "biased"

I think it was last election someone pointed out the media has a set of rules one of them is you can tell 7 big lies and they will let it slide but then they will pick a small pointless detail you got wrong, correct the candidate, who will of course issues a "correction"

The point of this is to show they are relevant and doing their job.

Yinlock posted:

I think we've seen a lot of it, the problem is it never really went away. Everyone just pretended it didn't exist until some morons legitimized it and it started to grow out of control again

There was some quote I saw around these threads that pointed out that the issue with being a part of "polite society" is that you have to take people back if they conform.

So when you get the racist to understand they will not be invited over if they keep yelling N*GGER, and they comply you have to let them back. So they are back at the table talking about Obama's birth certificate, Muslims, Mexicans, and well they arent saying that bad word so I guess we cant call them on that. Did he just advocate war crimes....well he didnt say that word so I guess we need to be polite.

max4me fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 25, 2016

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, this. They can control him some if he gets his cheering crowd treat so he can have some of his drug, but they never really have full mastery of the Donald.

you dont order the donald you unleash him

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I m sorry but this is just stupid. Cyber bullying is a crock of poo poo, turn off your twitter and shut off your facebook.

Trump supporterst are weak assmorons like those retards that took over a flipping bird sanctuary. They are just loving talk.

There is also the active passive voice thing Hilary didn't blow the lid off what trump did to her she referred to claims this woman already made.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fojar38 posted:

Unlike goons, most people haven't been hardened to the internet through years and years and years of exposure to the worst parts of it.

Oh noes the mean tweets soon they will let lose the dank memos

I was once he'll dumped in real life a family member scoured every lead and every link, he could about me this lead to a YouTube video my retarded friend put up showing off his RAW camera.

I wasn't tagged in the video didn't even know he shot it, thought he was just playing with it, but sadly I was ranting about some family drama and let a secret slip.

That really hosed me.

My point with that little story is this most civilians on the Internet get burned by what they willingly shout into the void. I ve seen time and time again people rant on FB it get deleted and a few hours later a new rant about drama and FB takes its place.

Most people don't deal with the twitter hords and again just turn off the drat screen. gently caress if I said something awful and opened my email to 1000000 of "kill your self" emails I wouldn't loving read them.

And even then just go play call of duty with 12 year Olds for a few hours that will toughen up anyone

But yes this poor Latina she was abused by trump and now mean crooked Hilary threw here under the bus yes go my white Knight save her on the field of Twitter she needs you

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Spelunk me please posted:

You know what? You convinced me to change my mind. You certainly aren't a good person who is just arguing from a point of ignorance.

Excuse me? Did you just call a stranger on the Internet a bad person? Are you trolling? Use Ad homemin? Or are you just being a dick?

I think I must be older than you, and I ve lived through some rather crazy poo poo. Having people stalk you, follow you, harass you IRL. Phone calls late before the world of caller ID (I learned a good lesson then, some times yoh will be happier if youbdont pick up the phone) Finding your car smashed by a craszydeco person. Being held down by a group of older boys at church...

That's loving bullying, having people tweet or send ugly emails you don't have to loving read isn't. I didn't have a choice in regards to those FucKS who engaged with me, in real life but on the Internet I do.

My engagement on the Internet is under my control. I can shut down my social media ignore unwanted emails and enjoy my life. When I have to worry about some nerd on Twitter smashing my car with his smashr ap then I might come arounder to your way of thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Spelunk me please posted:

Upon further thought. If you think I was insulting you and that disengaging is really easy, I guess you should just delete your account. I don't want to be mean, but that is just the logical implication.

Are you cyber bullying me bro? Cause your the one saying it s real and Internet is serous business, I am the one saying turn off the account. So if you want me to turn it off thend I m gonna have to ask that you cyber bully me just like those trump supporters

But I'll offer you this if you got pm send me your phone number I ll give you a ring later today and hash this out with you.

The other poster that talked about a person being stalked for Twitter comments is moving the loving goal posts once you have real life contact like what I had to indure it isn't loving cyber poo poo but real life poo poo.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread