Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

max4me posted:

The one thing I am surprised with is the acknowledgement of the term alt right by the "main stream media" and the Clinton campaign.

Would have thing the spot light on these groups grow or shrink them? Could it grant them legitimacy?

Short term it grows them as racists that weren't in the know learn about them.

Long term it screws them because a lot of the reason they were getting traction is there was no sustained and organized denouncement of their lovely views, leading to a steady creeping spread of acceptability as a bunch of people embodied to bystander effect thinking "well I really don't agree with that but nobody else seems upset so i guess it is OK to say these sorts of things".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jackson Taus posted:

It hasn't been over the last two weeks, it's just gotten press attention the last two weeks. Like the EpiPen and insulin rises have been over the course of years. I didn't notice what set off the EpiPen frenzy, but the insulin one was a result of piggybacking off the press the EpiPen one got.

ExpressScripts and Caremark both released their 2017 excluded medications lists shortly before the EpiPen thing blew up. EpiPen wasn't excluded from either but that might have been a catalyst for "hey random old medications are getting expensive quickly" and the EpiPen was an extremely well know example.

It also might have been due to back to school. Don't most parents with kids prone to anaphylaxis buy an EpiPen to keep at school?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cthulhumatic posted:

You can still use the expired ones (I have) but they can be less effective - it's ~3 years past expiration for them to become completely unusable. I was told this (independently) by both a doctor and a pharmacist; although if the fluid inside the injector turns dark/cloudy, it's not usable at all.

It is only a matter of time before expiration date lockouts are implemented, similar to inhalers disabling themselves after X metered doses despite medication still remaining in the cartridge.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Prairie Home Companion is awful but is still must-listen radio compared to the absolute festering shitpile that is Eklektikos with John Aielli. At least PHC doesn't involve the host forgetting that he queued up a particular song (playing for the fourth time today) and continuing to read random sections of found newspapers at five words a minute over the music.

They both exist for the same reason that Peanuts is still in newspaper comic pages: old people write nasty letters threatening to stop sending money every time someone hints about getting rid of them.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeap--just Austin.

It used to be on during the morning for my commute when KUT was one station. I hated the show but would stick with it because he'd:

1. Sometimes play interesting stuff
2. gently caress up spectacularly
3. Engage me in yelling at the radio in an apolitical way ("Yes! We know about your loving roses! Yes! Your neighbor makes good kale! gently caress!")
4. Go completely nuts (see #2)

Some personally-memorable highlights include:
1. One time he gave the weather forecast and said that the historic high for that day was 212F. After the next break and some music, he clarified that he had made a mistake and the historic high was just something completely different like 106F in 1992 or whatever. I latched on to that and created a theory that the reason you don't meet anybody from Austin from before the 90s is because there was a day when a sunspot blasted the city and killed everybody that was outside, so the high really was 212F. The rest of the people were deep in buildings or one of the seven basements in this city, and they all decided to never speak of it again.
2. He put on some Mumford and Sons and didn't realize he wasn't playing the censored version, so we all got to hear "gently caress" across the airwaves multiple times in four minutes. He eventually figured it out and played it again with the curse words all faded out. He then rambled on why everybody feels like they have to use the f-word.
3. He put on the hip indie song of preference at some point and then just starts mixing it with the theme to A Fistful of Dollars. The music didn't even really match up.

He reminded me of something like a dad that never heard any music in his life getting let loose in a huge vault of music and a paycheck to just do whatever the hell. The whole was just magical to him so that was all kind of sweet, but it was mostly just annoying. You'd be listening to Godspeed You Black Emperor one minute and then a brazilian spoon band or some poo poo the next, then top it off with the Pico de Gallo song, completely with random commentary and oblivious weather reports.

You forgot to mention his vocal pacing which makes Garrison K seem like a speed demon in comparison. It isn't even consistent. He (Aeilli) will just stop in the middle of an already slow sentence for five+ seconds before continuing as though nothing happened. When he forgets to queue the background music it is really easy to get confused about whether the station went out.

And every time the station managers try to get his massive black hole of entertainment off the air the donors flip out. Aeilli is a great example of people fighting for "thing that has been around for a long time" as local color worth preserving because dealing with the actual things which are changing the city and neighborhoods is really hard and makes people uncomfortable.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

So Donald Trump, who's only consistent message is that Hillary is corrupt and bought by money in politics, has hired as his deputy campaign manager the president of Citizens United - a name widely considered synonymous with the flood of money into politics?

Edit: I know the court case and the organization are different things but "oh no you misunderstand, he was just working for the organization which fought to gut the law" isn't going to help.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 2, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

Anyway speaking of dead white people, Maricopa County is left with one insurer on its insurance exchange because the second pulled out because they couldn't raise their rates 120%. 14 of 15 AZ counties will have one insurer and one county will have 0. Obamacare is great.

The republican voting block there is on Medicare so why should they give a poo poo?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Spiffster posted:

She was the one figurehead that killed the ERA that almost passed decades ago correct? Can't say she'll be missed

She has been quite busy ever since opposing basically anything and everything that involves women's rights and equality.

For fucks sake she even fought against fixing to laws to make raping your wife a crime arguing that it was just a plot by liberal feminists to encourage divorce.

I'll slot her passing right next to Scalia in the "I am glad they are no longer directly influencing policy, although I wish they had retired so they could see everything they fought against actually win" shelf.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Radish posted:

Hillary has to be preparing for Trump to just rapid fire off absurd ridiculous lies during the debates assuming he won't get fact checked and that it's harder and takes more time to disprove his trash than for him to say it.

Aka the Gish Gallop. Throw 20 untrue statements and misrepresentations at your opponent and declare victory when they only manage to show that 19 are complete and utter bullshit.

I can't think of anyone more capable of picking apart that debate "style" than Clinton. The trouble is that she has limited time and actually picking it apart often makes the person doing so seem boring and nitpicking. Probably the more effective strategy with Trump will be to pick the most blatantly absurd thing he says, point out that it is wrong, and then parade it in front of him saying that only a completely incompetent dumbass could think that's how the world works. Odds are he doubles down on it for a few weeks.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Geostomp posted:

When it comes to Trump lies, the problem is picking just one before he spews enough more to make the chosen one irrelevant. Besides that, she's got to contend with the double standard of looking "shrill" if she harps on anything too hard as a woman while Trump's nonsense thrives off any attention, especially if he goes mean spirited.

Both points are definitely true. Thats why I think the best strategy is to get him to self destruct and I hope that her debate prep has been focused on ways to spot statements in the Stream of Trump Talk that can be countered in a way that makes Trump double down on an odious statement.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

emdash posted:

https://twitter.com/WardDPatrick/status/773320379888758784

hopefully, at some point, the media realizes Trump has actually treated them dramatically worse than Clinton has

I've noticed a pretty odd turnaround in the reporting every since the press was allowed on the place with Clinton.

It turns out it was this all over again but with the press and not the GOP leadership:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

iospace posted:

Because the right has conditioned people to take being called racist as an a slur of the highest order.

Which has the odd side effect of making it so that one of the easiest ways to get racists to publicly demonstrate that they are racist is to call them racist and watch how they react.

For example:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DemeaninDemon posted:

Calling a racist a racist is like poking a hive of wasps except the wasps only know how to sting themselves.

So really it's a pinata.

More like it is chucking rocks at a hornet nest. You might get stung but the dumbass who was standing right next to it is in for a world of hurt. Normally it would be an rear end in a top hat move but in this case everyone has been telling that dumbass to deal with the hornets before someone got stung but he kept not doing anything because "if you ignore them they won't bother you".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The major difference between the Obama's "clinging" comment, Romney's 47% thing, and Hillary's bucket-o-assholes statement is that unlike the religious, gun owners, or the poor nobody is going to publicly go to bat for racism.

I think Hillary's response neatly plays off of the first attempt by the GOP to attack her over the comment. Like someone said earlier in the thread now the argument being had is about exactly how many of Trump's supporters are racist/bigoted/homophobic/xenophobic/etc and nearly every news source that isn't Fox News is now including the rest of her statement in the follow up when they weren't in the initial coverage.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I know there are a lot of people saying the media is actively pushing Trump because they want a horse race but I heard David Rennie of the Economist say this recently and I think there is a lot of truth in what he says

quote:

Here's something I think is really paralyzing us in the media. And I speak as somebody who goes to, you know, a fair number of Trump rallies, interviewed a fair number of Trump supporters. I think that we are paralyzed by the fact that criticizing Donald Trump feels, often, like you're criticizing his supporters.

It's a very odd experience. I've been covering American elections since 2004. Normally when you criticize a policy, you're criticizing that policy. You're saying it's a bit too left wing, a bit too right wing, it doesn't, you know, add up. The numbers look a bit big. Donald Trump's policies -- because so often they don't actually make any sense, they're describing a world, there's a flat-Earth kind of claim that you can do this with the Chinese and force the Chinese to rein in the North Koreans on nukes. And, you know, you then have to say, well, how would you do that? Why would they do that? You know, they make no sense.

The problem with that is that when you talk to his supporters and you say, well he's talking about this with immigration. How would you go about rounding up 11 million people? The response from them very often is some form of, are you calling me stupid? Because if you're saying his policies just make no sense, what are you saying about the people who believe them?

And that paralyzes us.

I know several reporters have commented on the backlash and torrent of hate they get whenever they dare to express any sort of question about whether Trump is lying or able to deliver on these promises. Lauer probably didn't go into it thinking he wanted to give Trump a leg up on Hillary but he knew that ripping her on emails was a safe thing to do while questioning Trump on anything is probably going to get you an inbox full of graphic death threats. The media doesn't give a poo poo about horse races as much as they don't want to stick their genitals in a blender.

I think where he's wrong is that this is not a new phenomenon as much as Trump having both stripped away all the middle steps the GOP and the media were using to obscure the deus ex machina required for most of the GOP platform to work and has by his own example of directly lashing out at the media for everything has encouraged his supporters to attack the reporters.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Night10194 posted:

Agreed. They need to stop pretending to get the vapors and do their goddamn jobs.

Oh I agree (and so did the journalist who gave that quote) I just got tired of people saying that there is some sort of coordinated nefarious plot in newsrooms to push Trump higher and Hillary lower to drive ratings. The reality is a lot more depressing, with it being just a bunch of people desperately hoping that someone else is brave or dumb enough to be the first to speak up and take the punch to the face.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Defenestration posted:

holy poo poo this is the most boring why isn't there an appropriations bill to count votes on or something please

Post Bucket.

Yes I know this isn't the cat thread but dammit arguing about which cat is the most adorable is better than slapfighting over how much you can tell from a shoe in two frames of a video

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

size1one posted:

Has penumonia but keeps on campaigning till she literally drops. That's dedication right there.

No kidding. I got pneumonia once (went to the Dr after I was having coughing fits so intense I was on the floor) and even with antibiotics the following week or so was awful.

I pretty much didn't leave the house all week and skipped a bunch of meals because going down a single flight of stairs to the kitchen or even to meet a delivery person was more energy than I had on tap.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Also has Trump tweeted anything today about it? I have to imagine Kellyanne has her hands full convincing him that anything but "I hope she recovers quickly" is just a really bad idea.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Eh, it's not a big deal.

She has pneumonia.

Having had it before three times, it all sounds pretty par for the course.

All the way to the "oh bah what does the Dr know. can totally do everything while I recover.... Oh poo poo no I can't" realization

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 12, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hey does anyone want to feel better about their state?*

Then click this link.

*This offer is very much not valid in Texas because Jesus loving Christ is this awful and something that everyone should read and for which the state education leadership should be fired.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

fits my needs posted:

Woah, Texas is a loving shithole! Who knew!? drat, all these Texans keep telling me how many Californians keep moving there and how awesome and cheap it is though! :ca:

The education system was actually relatively alright until Rick Perry and his buddies got their hands on it.

Ignoring literally everything else about his political positions George W Bush and particularly Laura Bush legitimately cared about education. Perry on the other hand seemed to have contempt for the idea of schools existing, beyond the opportunity for graft of course.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my fav texas things are how they're the best in the country at killing workers on the job (and not requiring workman's comp insurance), and how they're the best at killing pregnant women in the whole developed world

but i'm sure perry was a good governor i mean he walked around armed all the time would a bad man do that

Texas is Kansas with a bunch of oil revenue propping up the facade.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Majorian posted:

bird rights activist is best twitter race supremacist.

https://twitter.com/ProBirdRights/status/770734238668685313

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Perhaps I am easily amused but it is pretty funny watching the GOP try (and fail) to avoid the same "why don't you say the word!?" trap that they used with Radical Islamic Terrorism.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

straight up brolic posted:

in case you missed it, Trump's child care plan is a deductible from federal income tax lmao

And "paid" maternity leave in the form of getting unemployment for six weeks. Maternity leave only btw, no paternity leave. Oh and the level of unemployment payments are set by the states with the usual trend of southern states being more awful. Mississippi takes the crown for maximum shittiness at $235 per week max.

Don't forget that unemployment benefits are taxed too!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This better have substance to it, this better not be some fart in the wind.

The reporter seems to have knack for unraveling slimy networks and pulling particularly nasty bits out into the public for all to gawk at.

He also has epilepsy so there is the remote possibility we might get some really prime Trumping if the story takes off.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Warcabbit posted:

Should be. He's mobbed to hell. Surprised nobody's mentioned that.

International real estate is basically ground zero for organized money laundering, embezzlement, and fraud. Trump having ties ties to all sorts of awful characters wouldn't be shocking at all.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Federal employees work over a holiday weekend, then push to get things done so they don't have to work the holiday weekend, and somehow get in trouble for both.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Have we discussed how Trump mysteriously grew an inch for his current physical, which just so coincidentally made his BMI squeak under the threshold for being obese?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

straight up brolic posted:

people just want to seem smart, woke, and above the fray by choosing a candidate out of the mainstream. Maybe they can even talk about their study abroad and how the two-party system is flawed.

The good thing about the "look at me I'm an independent, please acknowledge my deep thoughts" phenomenon is that third parties poll significantly higher than they actually perform at the ballot box. Turns out you can vote for the actual candidate you want to win while telling everyone you voted for someone else!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Antti posted:

Mr Sherman, these aren't specifics.

It sounds like it's gonna be the economy and foreign policy i.e. everything under the sun, as opposed to trying to silo the three debates into "economy", "foreign policy" and "whatever else"

I read it as Holt not wanting to be tied down to any particular subject.

So he'll be able to cover both emails and Benghazi.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sword of Chomsky posted:

It is nearly impossible to do a good defense. It requires an informed audience, and we all know how that works out.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gish_Gallop#In_spoken_debate

I think the Billy Madison approach is kind of the answer actually. You try and make it so that the audience's take away from the word salad is that it is a nonsensical parade of lies instead of it being a result of the person knowing their stuff. Like your link points out you can't do it point by point so being extremely dismissive of it is the only real way to do it.

Whatever the counter is I'm sure that they have been drilling her hard on it. I don't think Trump can pull off a Romney level Reset for the first debate so you know what you are going to get.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I completely forgot about the BEES and other agricultural creatures drive. The breakdown was moderately amusing, and yet positive.

Bees were great.

I gave to a ocean charity because a mermaid lady came and chatted with us and it turned out she was really nice. That's my SA story.

Artificer posted:

Anyone have opinions on that Supreme Court Decision http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/mcdonnell-v-united-states/ which raises some serious issues with the whole "nah setting up meetings after getting a bunch of gifts is fine" thing?

I'm pretty against it and I don't think the Supreme Court should've taken such a narrow view, but... I'd like to hear some thoughts.

The Supreme Court sometimes makes seemingly really dumb decisions setting the standard of proof to be impossibly high because the alternative is that everything will be sent to judges to be decided and the courts just can't handle that sort of load. I kind of think this is one of those cases.

Still a dumb decision.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

vyelkin posted:

I hope she pulls out the "If Mr. Trump can't handle dealing with a debate moderator, how is he going to handle dealing with China and Russia?" line.

In my head I'd prefer "if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen".

Because there is a tiny but nonzero chance of Trump (and a near certainty of Trump's online supporters) saying Hillary should get back into the kitchen

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Technogeek posted:

Ironically, the fact that Sword of Truth fans exist is proof of the accuracy of the Wizard's First Rule.

(I read one book in the series and decided I wasn't going to go any further. Apparently for the best.)

You know how the author made about a quarter of the first book an extended non-consensual sadomasochistic relationship, complete with skin tight leather dominatrix characters? Also how rape seemed to pop up a whole bunch as plot points? Those are not just coincidences.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Brother Entropy posted:

there's also a part with an evil chicken

Which I think was summoned during a rape scene or as a result of one. I dunno I was flipping through massive sections at that point.

The Iron Dream was entirely too on point about just how accepting sci-fi and fantasy are of truly horrific things just because the Good Guy is doing them.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Literally what does this mean?

It is like a lizard shedding a tail to escape a predator. By the time the journalist finally stops poking it and determines that the statement is just a dead husk and not anything like what they were chasing the rest of the Trump has already retreated to safety.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lozzle posted:

"What do you have to lose? I mean besides your Fourth Amendment rights! Actually, what even is a 'Fourth Amendment' anyways? Sounds very low energy..."

e: Also does David Duke just not realize how damaging his "support" is or does he just not care? (Maybe he is a Clinton agent? :tinfoil:)

He doesn't care. It gets people to pay attention to him and that's goal #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is why I am worried about Millennials being the new Gen Xers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/22/we-expect-millennials-to-do-great-things-maybe-we-shouldnt/?tid=sm_fb

Big survey of Millennial beliefs. The red flags:

- 44% of Millennials think that the best way to get ahead economically is to stay with one company, put as much effort and time into as you can, and wait to be recognized and move up the ladder.

- "Is being lucky an important factor in economic opportunity and getting ahead in life? Do you think luck or timing played an important role in many successful people's rise?"

36% Important
60% not important

- The Federal Government, Banks, and the Media are the least trusted institutions
- The military and social media are most trusted organizations

- 74% think that social security will not exist when they retire and public policy should be made around this assumption

A huge majority think that being informed and involved in national politics is a waste of time and being involved in local or community activities is more important.

A majority of millennials agree that both parties are equally bad in different ways.

Another survey also shows that Millennials think we waste a ton of money on welfare, foreign aid, and social programs (except education) and they would oppose a $1,000 a year tax increase in exchange for single payer.

There was something on NPR the other day talking about millennials vs baby boomers when they were kids and they mentioned that 44% of millennials don't believe in capitalism.

So not all is lost.

• Locked thread