Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

let bob change ur perceptions of reality and what is right and wrong

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

Likewise, Nabokov's Pale Fire. There's a ton of good shorter works by authors known for their larger novels.

id also recommend his sci fi short story.. the name escapes me, its in nabokovs dozen. heres a stand out simile: he compares plugging a new lightbulb into a light socket to the sudden hatching of a dragons egg in ones hand.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

idiot

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
If you really have a lot of time on your hands, try In Search of Lost Time, the exhaustive and brilliant fictional memoir of class and romance in late 19th century France

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
l'amore by kay parker trust me

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

sorry that u've been drinking the ketchup but maybe let some of these other people make up their own minds

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

social vegan posted:

sorry that u've been drinking the ketchup but maybe let some of these other people make up their own minds

wherefore ur knowledge of the counsels of my heart. in anycase, ketchup or as the chinese call is catsup is delicious in inverse proportion to the deliciousness of the more esoteric condiments

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Um The Power of One is a book about boxing that I've been told is very good and inspiring. AFAIK there's no wizards or aliens in it.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Um The Power of One is a book about boxing that I've been told is very good and inspiring. AFAIK there's no wizards or aliens in it.

i thought it was a book about the pitiless devastating power of the one god

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Captain Yossarian posted:

I've been re-reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (probably go through the whole series again) and also House of Leaves- both highly recommended by me

haha what are you 12 years old lmao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

No genre fic-- "Have you read these mystery or horror novels yet huh have you"

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RideTheSpiral posted:

way to shame daddio

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A good short story collection is Space Marines: The Omnibus. I think it's out of print, but it's worth tracking down a copy

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Guy Goodbody posted:

A good short story collection is Space Marines: The Omnibus. I think it's out of print, but it's worth tracking down a copy

'...literary tour de force...' - London Review of Books

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
'Super intelligence'

It's a non fiction about the problem ai engineers will run into when they develop human level AI and it's got an owl on it and owls are tits

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Orkin Mang posted:

way to shame daddio

daddio was already ashamed

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RideTheSpiral posted:

'...literary tour de force...' - London Review of Books
I know you think you're joking but it did actually win a National Book Award.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

FactsAreUseless posted:

what the

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

From which nation?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

From which nation?
http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2016.html

They're a pretty big deal.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

Sethex posted:

'Super intelligence'

It's a non fiction about the problem ai engineers will run into when they develop human level AI and it's got an owl on it and owls are tits

How much of a technical background do you need to understand it?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

it doesnt even have an author :frogdowns:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
OP, read The Crow Road by Iain Banks.

That or Cat's Cradle, Kurt Vonnegut.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby P Foote. About 80000000 pages of pretty engaging history
The Fall by Camus. Cool book about how a man perceives himself. Short & funny.

Dr Dracula
Oct 30, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimey Drawer
The Hobbit and the Maltese Falcon are examples of books that take hold of your attention and pull you through them, a rare thing in the internet age.

Huck Finn is good as well but it helps if you've read Tom Sawyer beforehand.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

RideTheSpiral posted:

Turn on your monitor :grin:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RideTheSpiral posted:

it doesnt even have an author :frogdowns:
That's just the 2016 list.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
You might enjoy Bertrand Russell's "A Short History of Western Philosophy".

Apart from being informative, it is also consistently hilarious. On the one hand, he was one of the greatest logicians of his time with a profound knowledge of philosophy and science, while on the other he never failed to observe the ridiculous. For example, when he talked about how a society founded on Pythagorean principles ultimately collapsed, he comented how this may be due to the population's "hankering for beans". (Pythagoreans were a cross between logicians and classical cultists with their own rites of initiations and taboos, such as the eating of beans). There are also a few sick burns on philosophers he doesn't like, such as Hegel.

I recommend this particular book because you mentioned how you would like short fiction. While not fiction, you can essentially read the chapters on individual philosophers or schools of thought as seperate entities, just as you would do with short stories in an anthology.

There are a number of chapters in which I thought Russell was unfair (specifically when it came to Hegel, Marx and Nietzsche), but overall it is the best overview of pre-20th century philosophy I know of. It is immensely entertaining, the language is beautiful and it gives you an idea how in the end, any assesments of philosophy or reality in general has to be highly subjective. Ultimately, you not only learn about philosophy, but you also get an insight into the working of a brilliant and unique mind with a fantastic sense of humor.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

But No Elephants is a curious novella on class warfare and racism

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Please read Jesus' Son as it's one of the best short story collections of all time

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the shroud of turin

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

I had to read that once and it was horrible (mostly because no wizards or aliens)

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Thomas Pynchon is also cool as hell. Gravitys Rainbow is as good and weird as its reputation suggests, but his newer offerings are quality pieces of lit as well. Def check out Bleeding Edge if you haven't already

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I find the bible to be very interesting because of the wizards and aliens

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

I find the bible to be very interesting because of the wizards and aliens

endor makes an apperance which is weird bc rotj blows

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
also the main character is god

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The plays of Henrik Ibsen and Anton Checkov whixh end with somebody shooting theyself

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my alcoholism is based in the historical fact that jesus transformed whatever he could into stanky booze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

my alcoholism is based in the historical fact that jesus transformed whatever he could into stanky booze

I spent 7 hours in the ER yesterday due to alcoholism and possibly jesus

• Locked thread