Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors:

Great book, describing a little known battle probably as important to history as Trafalgar or D-day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
nerd stuff but good: the first two witcher books from andjrejzej sapkowski, polish man, are short story format and good. i liked sword of destiny better of the two.

baseball stuff: so far my favorite baseball book is 'all my octobers', but that one guy who got the entire league mad at him for tape recording his thoughts of every day then having a guy turn it into a book was shorter and probably more exciting for you, it was called 'ball four' im pretty sure

classic literature: most of this is too long, and fictional, and doesn't fit your idiot bitch requirements. just go read the old man and the sea anyway.

if you want to get into poetry: absolutely buy an old compilation of t.s. eliot poems

buy all of these from used book fundraiser sales in your area, if you buy new copies of books from dead authors you are a poo poo

edit

if you like world war II read the ridiculous account of the norwegian resistance written first hand by a cool rear end soldier jan baalsrud, ni liv, or probably in english 'we die alone' instead of 'nine lives' is what you'll find it as

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
OP, have you thought about audiobooks? If so, I'd recommend Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey Maturin series narrated by Patrick Tull. It's a historical novels series about the naval war during the Napoleonic Wars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey%E2%80%93Maturin_series

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

extra stout posted:

buy all of these from used book fundraiser sales in your area, if you buy new copies of books from dead authors you are a poo poo

dont buy second hand book of classic literature in translation. old translations are often very bad.

He Who Smelt It
Jun 14, 2012
Mein Kampf

Sounds like the book for you op

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

"She Comes First".
Or if you're a vagina-haver "He Comes Next".

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

RideTheSpiral posted:

dont buy second hand book of classic literature in translation. old translations are often very bad.

I agree, this is a good rule of thumb.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I stopped by Chapters the other day and picked up a few books! :xd:

The Labors of Hercules by Agatha Christie, because I'm a huge Hercule Poirot fan and for some reason this one is hard to find, both in store and library, so when I found a copy I had to buy it

I also walked by a table of their cheapo classics, 3 for $10, so I picked up

The Gambler by Fyodor D
To Have and Have Not and For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway

I haven't read Bell before, I feel I have to in order to save face.

tactlessbastard posted:

You can never go wrong with this.

:hfive:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

extra stout posted:

if you want to get into poetry: absolutely buy an old compilation of t.s. eliot poems

I love Eliot's good stuff, but a lot of his smaller and earlier works are kind of impenetrable:

APENECK Sweeney spreads his knees
Letting his arms hang down to laugh,
The zebra stripes along his jaw
Swelling to maculate giraffe.

etc.

I'd recommend Auden or Larkin, since I think they're a lot more accessible generally:

Larkin:
They gently caress you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were hosed up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

Auden (excerpt):
A ragged urchin, aimless and alone,
Loitered about that vacancy; a bird
Flew up to safety from his well-aimed stone:
That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
Were axioms to him, who’d never heard
Of any world where promises were kept,
Or one could weep because another wept.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Hyperion by Dan Simmons is great. I know it's genre fiction but it's a bunch of short stories and it's cool.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

extra stout posted:

If only there were some way to rent books, for free, and then return them when you're done.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
White Noise by DeLillo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
dragon kiss by e.d. baker

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I've recommended this in gbs before but the man without a country is really good

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1863/12/the-man-without-a-country/308751/

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

GeneX posted:

I've recommended this in gbs before but the man without a country is really good

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1863/12/the-man-without-a-country/308751/

I've already read this since you posted it in my The Atlantic whine thread.

It's a good read, has a Conrad feel to it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

hemale in pain posted:

Hyperion by Dan Simmons is great. I know it's genre fiction but it's a bunch of short stories and it's cool.

I just read this and the sequel on a friend's recommendation, it was quite good.

Would you equally recommend the Endymion books? They're apparently a continuation.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Izzhov posted:

If only there were some way to rent books, for free, and then return them when you're done.

i have a library card and use it sometimes but my local one is so small that you would save time buying the cheapest copy on ebay, and then if you don't absolutely love the book pass it on to a friend

A Strange Aeon posted:

I love Eliot's good stuff, but a lot of his smaller and earlier works are kind of impenetrable:

probably true of most poets, i found a collection that had the waste land in it and just re-read that something like 6 times a year

RideTheSpiral posted:

too generic advice to be true, aside from seamus heaney's beowulf or something i find there are often several good translations
also you can of course look up who did the preferable translation and then write it down on a piece of paper, or memorize it, before supporting your local book sales/fundraisers

extra stout fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 3, 2016

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I read Kon-Tiki recently it was good

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

AugmentedVision posted:

I read Kon-Tiki recently it was good

i liked it too but its been a while, i have yet to see the film adaptation done a few years ago but probably should

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Imagine being a contemporary anthropologist to Thor Heyerdahl tho

His anthropological theories are regarded just as false today as they were back then

Imagine you're some nerd poring over books in your office, along comes this chad, sails across the Pacific, now he's taking pictures with presidents and everyone believes the b.s. he's peddling that you know to be false

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Does Chandler or Woolrich count as genre fiction? How about Poe? Robert Chambers? William Gibson? Orwell? Kafka? McArthy?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Reading Raymond Chandler is always a good idea

I wish that my copy of his short stories had the names of all the various detectives he used before settling on Marlowe switched... and also their goonier descriptions and dialogue switched over to those of Marlowe

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

God Of Paradise posted:

Does Chandler or Woolrich count as genre fiction? How about Poe? Robert Chambers? William Gibson? Orwell? Kafka? McArthy?
Yes, yes, no, no, yes of course William Gibson writes genre fiction why would you even ask that jesus, no, no, if you mean Cormac McCarthy, no.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes, yes, no, no, yes of course William Gibson writes genre fiction why would you even ask that jesus, no, no, if you mean Cormac McCarthy, no.

McCarthy wrote a post-apocalyptic novel.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

H.H posted:

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I'm also interested in a non-fiction account of prison gangs and the recent opiate epidemic. If anyone has anything good in mind, I'd appreciate it.

if you like short stories by charles bukokski "south by no north" is my favorite toilet book

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Genre fiction is not genre fiction because it presents worlds that are different or has surreal or unreal or fantastical conceits or asks readers to accept a setting or elements of a setting that are unique to the book, it's genre fiction because it relies on the conventions of a genre. Detective stories are genre fiction, westerns are genre fiction, that doesn't mean universally every story with a mystery or Nevada in it is genre fiction, only stories that rely on the conventions of a genre. Adding one twist to a genre or writing something that comments on the genre by using its conventions is still genre fiction before everyone starts posting examples of their Big Exception To The Rule.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

McCarthy wrote a post-apocalyptic novel.
And? He wrote tons of stuff that is not genre fiction, there's not some sort of one-drop rule.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

dad gay. so what posted:

if you like short stories by charles bukokski "south by no north" is my favorite toilet book
Bukowski's real good to read.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

And? He wrote tons of stuff that is not genre fiction, there's not some sort of one-drop rule.

So he's sometimes genre fiction

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
haha goons cant read unless it's dumbed down by george rr mattin

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
ham on rye is good if you want to get in the mood for suicide or something

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ham on Rye is my favorite novel by him.

E: ^^^

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

FactsAreUseless posted:

i had a weird experience with bukowski where i enjoyed him a lot as a young man, but his redundancy in his work annoyed me pretty quickly, and a lot of his poetry was bad

seems like i read like 3 things from him before i summed him up as trying to be 'the more degenerate hemingway-light' and since i haven't read anything by him since then, that's still just about how i feel

i pulled up his wiki just now to see who he listed as his inspiration, not surprisingly hemingway, but interestingly (since im trying to push norwegian literature on this thread anyway) he lists knut hamsun

i guess i can see it, he is revealing a sad, depressing, common yet hidden aspect of human life. but he's not as good at it imo.

knut-light with more cigarettes, whores and alcohol, hemingway-light with just more whores.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm reading Murakami's A Wild Sheep Chase and am near the midpoint. It's becoming more a slug to get through; those chapters with the letters from Rat or whatever seem so disconnected from the main narrative. Does it get good?

My first Murakami was 1Q84, so having read about Ushikawa's misshapen head about one thousand times I think I can deal with a bit of weirdness.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

extra stout posted:

i had a weird experience with bukowski where i enjoyed him a lot as a young man, but his redundancy in his work annoyed me pretty quickly, and a lot of his poetry was bad

seems like i read like 3 things from him before i summed him up as trying to be 'the more degenerate hemingway-light' and since i haven't read anything by him since then, that's still just about how i feel

i pulled up his wiki just now to see who he listed as his inspiration, not surprisingly hemingway, but interestingly (since im trying to push norwegian literature on this thread anyway) he lists knut hamsun

i guess i can see it, he is revealing a sad, depressing, common yet hidden aspect of human life. but he's not as good at it imo.

knut-light with more cigarettes, whores and alcohol, hemingway-light with just more whores.
I like Bukowski more than Hemingway, because I think he allows himself to be more vulnerable than Hemingway.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think there's an entire genre of white male 20th century literature that's all about how unhappy a lot of authors were in their marriages (Updike, etc.) and I'm not fond of it in general, but I think Bukowski is one of the more interesting ones. Sadly I think a lot of American literature discussion begins and ends with these authors and completely misses out on a huge swath of fascinating works. The literary world (as in the whole thing, schools and critics and publishers and writers all together) is still very white and very male, with some pretty strong misogyny in its culture.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

FactsAreUseless posted:

Genre fiction is not genre fiction because it presents worlds that are different or has surreal or unreal or fantastical conceits or asks readers to accept a setting or elements of a setting that are unique to the book, it's genre fiction because it relies on the conventions of a genre. Detective stories are genre fiction, westerns are genre fiction, that doesn't mean universally every story with a mystery or Nevada in it is genre fiction, only stories that rely on the conventions of a genre. Adding one twist to a genre or writing something that comments on the genre by using its conventions is still genre fiction before everyone starts posting examples of their Big Exception To The Rule.

Another good way you can tell that a book is genre fiction is that it isn't loving boring.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
William Vollman's The Atlas.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like Bukowski more than Hemingway, because I think he allows himself to be more vulnerable than Hemingway.

I like applying the 'death of the author' concept, so it doesn't matter to me that much that Hemingway probably drank more good scotch than Bukowski did cheap rum or whatever, so while you're totally right that Hemingway was constantly writing about his post-war youth where he could still portray bottles of wine as being a fine hobby, it's usually shared with a woman and not a woman he paid to have sex with, and never 14 bottles, I don't know what point I'm getting at other than: Regardless of if Hemingway 'owes it' to you to write about his actual drinking and his actual sex life in it's current state, I just think he is better at telling stories and this part might sound comical, but his range on his stories to me is still more broad than Bukowski.

Optimistic ending: Feel free to recommend me a Bukowski novel that isn't just alcohol/cigarettes/prostitution/Seinfeld observations about this society and the characters of it's dark gritty underbelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

H.H posted:

Hi.

I'm usually bored at work (I don't really do any real job and literally 90% of my workday is free time) and like to read books to pass the time.

I'm out of ideas about which book to read next and, against my better judgment, decided to consult you. Yes, you!
I actually trust GBS more in these matters than the book barn, for some reason.

So post your recommendations. I will pick one (maybe more after I finish the first one) and post my thoughts about it throughout my reading.

A few ground rules:

1. Short stories are encouraged. Either collections or single stories.
2.Non-fiction is also encouraged.
3. No graphic novels/comics/manga.
4. No genre fiction.

Let's hear it!

may i suggest a little book called the koran

namaste

• Locked thread