Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
You know what's always bugged me about the Mormon Church? The name doesn't parse. "The Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints" just sounds wrong. Has anyone ever suggested "The Church of Jesus Christ AND Later Day Saints"?

Much better, frankly.

I grew up Southern Baptist, which is the most anti-central-structure you can get without straight up being non-denominational. Each church is responsible only to its own members. New pastors are elected by the congregation. You can visit ten Baptist churches and find ten different ideas on faith and rules. There's a Southern Baptist Convention but it's basically a social club with no authority over anyone and you join by having your church go "yep, we believe in Jesus".

It's lax as gently caress, so I've always been fascinated by things like Mormonism and those denominations that are way more structured and rigid.

I'm agnostic now, but it's still interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Paramemetic posted:

Mormons are literally Zionists, it's just they think that Zion is going to be in Missouri.

This is the most depressing thing I've ever heard.

So, I'm guessing that the reason the Mormons didn't just settle in Missouri was that Missouri didn't want them? So they went to Utah because it had yet to really be settled by white people and they decided to use that as a base of operations while casting glances at Missouri and muttering "soon"?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So like, is the priesthood given to ALL good Mormon males or just a select few? Like if you don't get it are you looked down upon?

• Locked thread