Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

So they're latter day latter day saints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ComposerGuy posted:

There's a Southern Baptist Convention but it's basically a social club with no authority over anyone and you join by having your church go "yep, we believe in Jesus".

Well, also, historically, there's an 'and slavery' rider on there...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Solaron posted:

That was also the beginning of my path to leaving the LDS faith and religion in general behind. I started to read more things that the church labels "anti" (anti-Mormon literature - not always anti-Mormon, but anything that doesn't agree with the LDS perspective was considered anti by my giant, extended family). I read stories about Zelph - a Native American skeleton found in a burial mound by a group that Joseph Smith was traveling with, and that he created a big backstory for - learned that when he died, it wasn't just a mob breaking into his jail cell, but that there had been guns smuggled in and a shootout, that he had destroyed printing presses printing things he didn't agree with, married young girls. So then I tried to justify my faith in general and talked to my Stake President (basically someone in charge of all of the local congregations for a group of counties or large city, etc) who answered my doubts by saying "Well, what's the worst thing that happens if the church isn't true? You're paying tithing - basically a membership fee - to be part of an organization that teaches you how to be a good member of society, how to be a good parent and how to be moral. Isn't that worth something"?

I started reading Dawkins, Hitchens, Sagan and the like and pretty quickly realized that my doubts weren't JUST with the flavor of religion I was in, but with religion in general. I got into atheist activism for a while but that's a mess too. Now I volunteer for a humanist kids camp (Camp Quest) and enjoy spending my Sunday mornings drinking coffee and spending time with my kids.

This is random, but if you're into Sci fi you might get a kick out of The Star Fraction :sun:

• Locked thread