Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah I'm mostly curious about comparisons to broader Christianity. I could attend an LDS service I suppose, the most "different" service I've been to is an Eastern Orthodox Divine Liturgy and I'd love to check out an Armenian one sometime. They're hardcore, like almost three hours long.

The biggest divide seems to be Western vs. Eastern Christianity and I'm wondering how much Mormonism fits in the Western tradition.

This is a good question and something I've been thinking about as well. I think Mormonism fits into Protestantism pretty well from a historical perspective. It arose during the 2nd Great Awakening in America and you see a lot of similarities in worship services, for example, to other radical Protestant groups that were operating in America at the time.

Pellisworth posted:

Does Mormon theology fit with the Nicene Creed? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicene_Creed
Maybe? Mormons do not believe in the Trinity, so you might run into some trouble in the Jesus section re: "God of God" and that. The one holy and apostolic church would probably cause some problems too.

quote:

What does a Mormon worship service look like, if you can share details? Is there a set order of ritual, prayers, and music (liturgy)? Do Mormons celebrate Communion/Eucharist?
Very simple. Opening hymn, opening prayer (not set, given by a random congregation member), church announcements (stuff like "don't forget the bake sale!" and "So-and-so has been called to teach Sunday school), another hymn, Blessing and Taking of Communion, sermons on a set topic by random congregation members, closing hymn, closing prayer (same deal as opening). Mormon chapels are bare-bone--no pictures or decorations and the schedule never changes except for Christmas and Easter when there's more (and better) music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

HardDisk posted:

Have you guys read Stolen Innocence by Elisa Wall? Is that what an average breaking up with the church process looks like?

I'm aware that she is from the FLDS, not the mainstream LDS church, but I don't imagine the process being very different.

"Breaking up" consists of just not showing up anymore. There's some paperwork you can fill out so you aren't considered a member anymore, but most people don't bother.

Hey, OP, you said you consider yourself an atheist. From a religious studies perspective, it's very common for Americans to switch religious affiliations, but less so for members of the more conservative churches to go straight to atheism. Did you stop at some other churches on the way or was your decision to be atheistic part of a larger radical shift in worldview?

• Locked thread