Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
When you say someone else, you mean in addition to your missionary companion? Because I've never seen them not in pairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
In case the name doesn't give it away, I'm a former mormon who grew up in not Utah, but eventually moved to Utah. I'm technically inactive although I'm really a teacup atheist. Most of my massive extended family is mormon, to varying degrees. I moved to Utah after I was basically done with religion, and it was a bit of a culture shock but it doesn't really bother me much anymore, I think I actually prefer it. To Las Vegas anyways, which I know isn't saying much. In Utah, everyone just assumes you're mormon unless they have a reason to believe otherwise, just like a lot of people would assume you're generally Christian unless proven otherwise in the rest of the country. I was a stickler about this at first, but I've learned that my life is easier if I don't go out of my way to correct people, particularly in any sort of business setting.

There's plenty to roll your eyes about with it comes to mormonism, but I think it gets an extra scrutiny because most of the concepts are new to people, and all the supposed divine magical stuff happened more recently. Sure there's a ton of absurd poo poo, but faith is full of absurd poo poo, you've just heard most of it for so long it no longer seems dumb anymore. Is the fact that a dude who's banging his maid and suddenly receives revelation that he's supposed to marry her when he gets caught that much more or less believable than the unwed teenager who suddenly was told by an angel that 'god did it' when she has to explain to her future husband why she's already pregnant?

I know that deep down I could never really believe in mormonism, but sometimes I do consider just going along with it. I know this is anecdotal as gently caress, but every member of my family who is really into mormonism is successful and happy. Some of them might be faking how happy they are, but at least a few that I'm close to I know are pretty pleased with their lives. Meanwhile the rest of us who are non religious are, to a man, total fuckups like me. And small town Utah is not without it's charms. I actually like how people tend to be nice to each other and say hello. Whenever I go back to Las Vegas and do that, all I get are confused looks or nasty glares. I know that using a sample size of my own family members and one non-Utah town is way to small to draw any real conclusions, but it's enough to bother me.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I remember there was a whole hullabaloo a few years ago. Holocaust survivors were getting a bunch of help from the mormon church, or at least a genealogy company closely associated with the mormon church (note: that is basically all of them), with their genealogy and cataloging all the Jews that died and their families and poo poo. Then eventually the survivors found out that all their dead family members were getting posthumous mormon baptisms on the side.

• Locked thread