Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

im confused how someone can give a religion "a fair shot" without actually talking to its practitioners about questions they have. then again the posts in this thread so far have me thinking we could be going down in flames pretty quickly here

op, what do you think of other lds denominations? the "community of christ" sounds a lot more chill and cool than the one you were in. however i don't know a lot about lds/mormonism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

oh, the wording of your post threw me off. also i a usually start with the assumption that goons read a few scripture verses on the internet, hit ctrl+w, reach up to stroke their beard, and say "heh". its me im being the goon itt

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

how do infertile women get into the good heaven. does it make any difference whether the infertile one is the woman vs. her husband. are there distinctions between different reproductive problems, such as a couple who can't conceive vs. a woman who keeps having miscarriages. what happens if a childless woman is presented with the choice by her doctor of "you are going to die unless we perform surgery on you, but the surgery will make it so you can't have kids".

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

John Smith posted:

Since God is commanding it, it is inherently right. Is that not the whole concept of religion?

A monk was walking alone down a road one morning when an angel appeared to him. The spirit said "I am an angel, sent by God. Your good deeds have earned you the right to command me as you wish". The monk replied "I didn't do anything to deserve an angel... you must be a demon." The monk continued on his way, and the demon disappeared.

Pellisworth posted:

Does Mormon theology fit with the Nicene Creed? My understanding was that LDS beliefs were pretty distinct from (little-o) orthodox Christianity. The vast majority of Christians (Catholic, Protestant, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox to include Coptic, Ethiopian, and Armenian Churches) are on board with the Nicene Creed.

The creeds are a big sticking point for me when people say that the LDS movement is like 99-100% the same as the more traditional Christian groups. Catholics, Orthodoxers, and most(?) Protestants profess the creeds, and even some of the Protestants who don't accept the texts of the creeds still profess all or most of the doctrines laid out in them. Then I look at some concepts in the LDS movement, like how a bunch of denominations (including the biggest) are non-trinitarian, or the idea that Jesus took a vacation to America during his stint in hell, or that we should baptize Einstein and Hitler by posthumous proxy, and I don't understand how that squares with the creed I can still recite from memory (the Apostle's) because we read it at almost every one of the hundreds of services I attended before my age contained two digits.

Also, I didn't know this before, but according to the book of Wikipedia, some LDS groups reject both the traditional apostolic succession and the priesthood of all believers. So I guess my dad, who is a divorced Lutheran pastor serving in a denomination with both of these doctrines, is like Double Secret Moroni'd or something.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

a lot of church buildings from the past few decades are multi-function spaces that often include the ability to use the big worship or fellowship room as a gym. and basketball hoops are something best installed to the walls, so you end up with a lot of basketball hoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I've read recently that basketball is one of the world's fastest-growing sports, and/or is now the world's second favorite sport. Mormonism is also one of the world's fastest-growing religions. Coincidence??? :pseudo:

Triggered posted:

Mormons believe a little while after Jesus Christ was killed the church he setup fell into apostasy. All priesthood authority was lost off the Earth, Catholic baptism and whatever authority protestants claim is worthless. The priesthood (authority to act in the name of God) was given to Joseph Smith by Peter, James and John. Christs only true church was restored by Joseph in 1830.

As a big believer in ecumenism and interfaith understanding, the way you have described this makes me do the :saddowns: face. It also makes me confused about why Mormons promote the "we are Christians" thing. Is it an attempt at saming* themselves with more established and "respectable" denominations? Is it a genuine expression of their doctrinal exclusivism? How genuinely self-aware are Mormons of the origins of their religion, and the fact that part of their claim to legitimacy lies in their claim that the religion of over two billion people is illegitimate?

* The verb "saming" is a term I learned in a religion class, it means roughly the opposite of "othering". It's one of those postmodern-ish critical-theory things.

• Locked thread