Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
When I went to university, I spent a year sharing a house with a mormon student. There was a small yet relatively active local mormon community, and one of their roles seemed to be keeping an eye on the mormon students, and making sure they didn't stray. They rotated weekly meetings around several houses including mine, so I got a fairly good look at the local community. Most were actually pleasant, but one man in his 30s was a complete creep around the younger women, especially the students. I found out that he was asking the local bishop to pressurise one girl (around 19, and the only black mormon I met) into marriage with him. Is this kind of thing (older men creeping on younger women and arranged marriages) common, or relatively isolated in mainstream mormonism?

One thing that did happen that year was that one of the other people staying in the house expressed an interest in converting. This was the cue for a conversion squad to turn up for lengthy indoctrination sessions in our living room. In the end they scored something of an own-goal, as the conversion didn't work, and seeing the recruitment process solidified doubts my mormon housemate had been having for a while. Shortly afterwards, she cut herself off from them completely. My room was closest to the front door, so I spent the rest of the university year turning away pretty much every mormon in the city as they tried to reclaim her. She eventually joined the Labour Party instead.

My second mormon story involves a friend my father met via the internet. A number of years ago, he struck up a friendship with a man from Utah via an internet forum. Eventually, him and his wife decided to come over to the UK for a holiday, and stayed with my parents for a few days. My father put in a big stock of booze in preparation, but surprise-surprise, he was a Mormon. Next year, he came over to visit without his wife, and drank like a fish. How much is the alcohol prohibition generally kept to? Is it common for some people to relax or ignore it when they're away from supervision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread