Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Do Mormons consider themselves to be Christians, or how in general do they perceive the broader Christian community?

What is the Mormon understanding of what happens to non-Mormon Christians after death?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

oh, the wording of your post threw me off. also i a usually start with the assumption that goons read a few scripture verses on the internet, hit ctrl+w, reach up to stroke their beard, and say "heh". its me im being the goon itt

authentic Lutherposting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Triggered posted:

Yes they consider themselves to be Christian, they believe that the only way to exaltation is through Jesus Christ. Born agains of course dispute this (I still cant stand them either), but just like mormons they make poo poo up as they go along.

To mormons other Christian sects have a portion of the truth but the LDS church is the only true church on the Earth. Its the only one with the correct authority to perform ordinances such as baptism and giving the gift of the Holy Ghost.

One thing I like about mormonism is that its afterlife is fairly forgiving. Everyone who has not had an opportunity to learn about mormonism will get the chance to learn about it when they die. If they accept it and lived a good life they can get to the top heaven. Thats why temples are important to mormons. They are performing ordinances such as baptism for people who have died. They believe everyone willl need it so thats what they do for them.
There is no traditional fire and brimstone hell in the mormon afterlife. Pretty much every single person who has lived will gain some manner of reward, the shittiest kingdom in heaven where the rapists and murderers will go is still far better than anything you can get here on Earth.
There is a place you would consider hell that is reserved for those who rebelled against God in the pre Earth life. This is called outer darkness. You can get there if you have lived on Earth, but you need to have seen God and Angels and stuff and then denied it all and rebelled.

Many Christians have similar beliefs about salvation and the afterlife, myself included, see C.S. Lewis in The Great Divorce. "Hell" is the absence of God's presence and Heaven is to be fully in God's presence, the dead (even if never having heard the Gospel) can come to accept God's grace and become closer to Him.

Does Mormon theology fit with the Nicene Creed? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicene_Creed

quote:

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made.

Who, for us men for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end.

And I believe in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of Life; who proceeds from the Father [and the Son]; who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets.

And I believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

My understanding was that LDS beliefs were pretty distinct from (little-o) orthodox Christianity. The vast majority of Christians (Catholic, Protestant, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox to include Coptic, Ethiopian, and Armenian Churches) are on board with the Nicene Creed.

What does a Mormon worship service look like, if you can share details? Is there a set order of ritual, prayers, and music (liturgy)? Do Mormons celebrate Communion/Eucharist?

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 3, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

photomikey posted:

I believe you can attend as a visitor. In high school, my (non-denominational Christian) bible study class visited a bunch of other faiths. I remember being unenthused to go to the LDS church, and I remember being surprised at how similar it was to basically every other service.

Yeah I'm mostly curious about comparisons to broader Christianity. I could attend an LDS service I suppose, the most "different" service I've been to is an Eastern Orthodox Divine Liturgy and I'd love to check out an Armenian one sometime. They're hardcore, like almost three hours long.

The biggest divide seems to be Western vs. Eastern Christianity and I'm wondering how much Mormonism fits in the Western tradition.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

peanut posted:

Mormon wedding reception in the multi-purpose hall.

is there a table for each wife

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Mormons are terrifying.

Coming from the UK this is all unbelievably insane.

Jehovah's Witnesses and Scientologists are arguably worse wrt indoctrination, and Scientology is actively evil where Mormonism and JWs just exert a lot of control over their members. The state of Utah is essentially a Mormon theocracy.

I see Witnesses at major street intersections all the time just standing there with a poster and brochures, I can't imagine that's more effective than cold-knocking doors.

JWs believe we're living in the End Times and Satan and his demons are here on Earth with us. They're taught to avoid contact (other than trying to convert) with non-JWs because everyone who is not a JW is under the influence or controlled by demons and Satan and they want to corrupt you. Only 144,000 will be saved, everyone around you is possessed by demons, there's a real siege mentality us vs. them paranoia aspect of the religion.

Scientology is all of that but is also an elaborate scam that requires members to pay out huge amounts of money to advance. It exists to give leaders a power trip and money. They've also done a lot of outright criminal poo poo including infiltrating the US federal gov't to purge documents unfavorable to them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

The only other Christian church to use the doctrine of apostolic authority is the Roman Catholic Church; however, they at least thought this through, and claim apostolic authority was passed on from Peter to the Catholic Church, thereby preserving the little things--like the new testament and the absolute authority of the church.

That's not true, most Christian groups historically have held the doctrine of apostolic succession/authority, they just disagree on who holds highest authority (Catholics would say the Pope). It's only some Protestant groups that stop caring about maintaining an unbroken line of consecrations back to the apostles.

Edit: like, there's a Coptic Pope in Egypt https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Tawadros_II_of_Alexandria and Eastern Orthodox recognize the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople as first among equals https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartholomew_I_of_Constantinople

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 13, 2016

• Locked thread