Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
When you left the church, what did your family think? Where did you go on your mission? What does the LDS church think of the play The Book of Mormon overall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

I've heard recently the commands out of Provo are that missionaries aren't to do cold knocking anymore but rather do the thing where they sidle up and offer to help with yard work or groceries or what not to get their foot in the door, then they start their push. This is in the last 4 years or so I think. Were you before or after this push and can you tell us more?

A lot of people don't realize just how downright scientific the missionaries are about it. The language academy, though a bit limited, is one of the best in the world, and the amount of marketing and advertising research that goes on at the MTC is ridiculous. Since you did your mission, can you tell the thread some about that?

Man I would totally be down with having someone weed the front yard for me during the summer months in exchange for a 10 minute lecture about space Jesus.

I know a Mormon couple where the wife is in college and the husband stays home with their single kid. But I think it's because he's from another country (Canada) and can't work? Either way they seem decent enough....until he came to me all upset that the Church might have to do something about supporting the Boy Scouts because "now they're making child rapists counselors and you can't ask who is one!" Sub child rapist for gay men. They don't know I'm a lesbian. Part of me feels almost slighted that they haven't tried to convert me, but we are only friends in a fish club sense (we meet once a month and most of the members are Catholic but religion somehow never comes up when we are discussing breeding fish and tank upkeep) so maybe they are waiting?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Triggered posted:

My personal terrible mainstream religion ranking list would be:

Islam
Scientology
Jehovahs Witnesses
Mormonism

Jehovahs Witnesses encourage shunning if you leave the faith, it still happens in Mormonism but at least they put up a front of telling members its not supposed to happen.

So is Islam the worst then, or is this list top to bottom?

Since gay marriage is legal now, has the Church said anything about homosexuality?

• Locked thread