Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Triggered posted:

Islam is the worst, reddit gives ex people a natural place to group up so the exmormon, exjw and exmuslim talk to each other. I have heard some bad stories from people trying to leave Mormonism and JW but the stuff coming from Muslim guys makes everyone else go :stare:

To be fair, of my friends who are Muslim, and of the vast majority of Muslims I've dealt with... most people don't actually leave the faith in terms of formally renouncing it, or converting to another religion, even if they stop being observant -- and many will just do whatever they want anyway (drinking alcohol, sex outside of a heterosexual marriage, etc.) according to their own conscience while still identifying as Muslim. So, my guess is that most people who actually identify as "ex-Muslim" are dealing with leaving the more extreme and toxic communities within the religion. While I have no doubt their experiences are absolutely horrific in many/most cases, I don't know it's representative of most Muslims who simply decide to quit following the rules, or were never particularly observant to begin with, especially those not living in countries governed by Islamic law.

I don't mean to defend them or anything -- I have been called an anti-Muslim bigot on a lot of occasions for some of my opinions on Islam -- I just call them like I see them. Certainly, in the worst cases, leaving Islam is pretty much the most dangerous form of leaving a religion you can imagine.

Is there an option for a Mormon to basically become inactive/non-observant without "leaving" the religion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread