Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

code:
struct group_info *groups_alloc(int gidsetsize){
    struct group_info *group_info;
    int nblocks;
    nblocks = (gidsetsize + NGROUPS_PER_BLOCK - 1) / NGROUPS_PER_BLOCK;
//login...

./access
We online together? Good. Listen up, because I don't have much time. This is the deep net, kid, and there's killer ICE around every corner. Not sure how you got past that chummed Pop-Up Window, but here we are.

NetRunner? Yeah, been called that before. Back in the day, some analog fogey named Richard Garfield tried to make a game out of what we do. Didn't take, but now the reality is front-and-center, kid. It's us versus those bastards in the megacorps, it's asymmetrical warfare, and we're gonna bring it to them. They want to get 7 agendas in the books, and we wanna expose 'em. Who gets there first? Well, that's all part of running these here nets. Here, lemme see your jack.

DL this into your grip, it'll give you the basics, straight from the source (Great video from FFG outlining gameplay)

Good news is, our tools ain't exclusive. We run nets in what's called an LCG. That means no randomization, you pony up the and you get exactly what you're looking for, every datapack the same.

Hold on a second... got it! Alright, let's jack out, meet me at Wyldside in meatspace, we can continue this convo...

Start here, kid. This'll get you the basics. Nothing flashy, but some of the best tools come out of this here rig, and you'll be leaning on it forever, it ain't goin' nowhere. (Rotation Schedule)

Which ain't to say there aren't NAPD jokers watchin' over us, controlling what exactly is restricted (Current Most Wanted List). But that's the nature of government, ain't it? Lemme give you a tour around:

Anarchs

That's me, kid. Straight smashin' windows and breaking ICE all day, every day. We're always broke, but our tools are the strongest if we can get them online. We use viruses to corrode the Corp's defenses and take it to the house with wanton destruction and faustian deals with overclocked rigs. It's seat-of-your-pants hacking, but drat is it fun.

Criminals

Now over there's the mercenaries you don't mess with. Willing to kidnap, rob, even kill for a . But as the saying goes, "If the cash is there, they do not care." You wanna get in good with them, I promise you'll never go hungry. They're kinda on the downswing right now, but some of their tricks are unstoppable, and when you need that extra cred injection to install that new breaker? Crims are the ones who got your hookup.

Shapers

Who, those freakshows? Nah, they're harmless. To us, at least. Corps, though... hoo boy. They think running the net is just the next step of human evolution. Shapers do things I didn't even think was possible in cyberspace. Turn one program into another, transform what's in their grip to more useful cards, and if your rig goes on the fritz, nobody's better with an Allen wrench getting things up and running (heh) again.

Alright, now that you're a little more acquainted, lemme drop some resources on you:
  • This tool lets you manage decks, nice and clean-like: https://www.meteor.stimhack.com/
  • Of course, the http://stimhack.com/ mothership is a fine place to hone your skills and learn to run better.
  • You'll want a playground to build your decks in, and none's better than NetRunnerDB for building, saving and sharing your creations.
  • Of course, if you want real-time stress testing, head over to jinteki.net for a nearly full-featured online experience of slinging netrunner decks.
  • Wanna try your hand at designing your own datapacks? Hit up GRNDL.net
  • That starter rig I recommended? Don't just smash cards together, it's no good. Try this configuration when all you got's a core box and you want to teach a friend

quote:

Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (9)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core) x3
Priority Requisition (Core) x3
Private Security Force (Core) x3

Asset: (13)
Adonis Campaign (Core) x3
Melange Mining Corp (Core) x2
PAD Campaign (Core) x3
Aggressive Secretary (Core) x2
Snare! (Core) x3 ■■

ICE: (18)
Rototurret (Core) x2
Wall of Static (Core) x2
Tollbooth (Core) x2 ■■
Ice Wall (Core) x3 ■
Ichi 1.0 (Core) x3
Enigma (Core) x3
Archer (Core) x1 ■■
Viktor 1.0 (Core) x2

Operation: (8)
Archived Memories (Core) x2
Biotic Labor (Core) x3
Hedge Fund (Core) x3

Upgrade: (1)
Corporate Troubleshooter x1

quote:

Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (19)
Account Siphon (Core) x2
Easy Mark (Core) x3
Infiltration (Core) x2
Inside Job (Core) x3
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
Special Order (Core) x3
Forged Activation Orders (Core) x3

Hardware: (6)
Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core) x2 ■
Desperado (Core) x1
Cyberfeeder (Core) x3 ■

Program: (15)
Corroder (Core) x2 ■■
Crypsis (Core) x3
Datasucker (Core) x2 ■
Femme Fatale (Core) x1
Mimic (Core) x2 ■
Ninja (Core) x1
Sneakdoor Beta (Core) x2
Yog.0 (Core) x2 ■

Resource: (5)
Armitage Codebusting (Core) x3
Crash Space (Core) x2

http://twitter.com/trashjackson/status/764481029834813440

Greetings, fellow executives. Welcome to the 4th Annual Conference on NetRunner Avoidance. I see some new faces in the crowd; let me introduce our core members:

Jinteki
Jinteki is a Corp that's into human experimentation and cloning. If you're looking for the faction that has all sorts of nifty bluffs and mindgames, this is the one for you. However currently all those mindgames are coming at a steep price. Their ICE is usually the most leaky of all the Corps and setting up that perfect "death trap server" is useless because the Runner can probably just break everything you put in front of them. Still whenever Jinteki plays a card into a remote server there is a threat that it will probably hurt runners who go for it, and isn't that what it's all about? By far the most painful corp for our little runner problem.

Haas Bioroid
Ahh, the Corp that's built on combining brain with machine. Their Bioroid ICE is unique in that it allows Runners to spend a click to break subroutines(usually). HB is the most well rounded of the Corps. They have good economy, both from Assets and Operations, cheap to expensive ICE that can be a real pain to break, and also have the ability to Fast Advance using Biotic Labor. We should strive for Director Haas' excellence.

NBN
My beloved Global News Network, NBN is focused around tags and traces. While our AstroScript Pilot Program may have been limited by the powers that be, our SanSan City Grid still threatens Fast Advance if left on the Board. Our ICE has a reputation for being very leaky but has some non-life threatening effects that we use to gain more information about their opponents.

Weyland
Weyland is our wealthiest Corp supporter. Some say that they just want to kick people out of their homes so they can build a new skyscraper with a big shiny W at the top. That they are all about getting lot of money and using that money to make life miserable for runners. That they also like blowing up runners. When people talk about "Tag and Bag", they're almost definitely talking about Weyland. I say, "What's the big deal? Aren't runners all criminals?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
While I'm proud that my decks are in the OP, I'd really suggest changes for using them to teach. Pulling out the Snares and Archer from the Corp side is a good idea, swap them with whatever.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Resources Effortpost:

NetRunner Twitterati

http://stimhack.com/ amazing site for competitive NetRunner

NetRunner Podcasts, Goon-Approved:

ANR Black Hats (video)
TeamWork Cast (video)
Run Last Click

NetRunner Podcasts, quality unknown:

The Winning Agenda
CorpDraw
Terminal 7
Fetal AI
The Source
Team Covenant (video)
Bad Publicity (Google Play)
Code Marvelous (video)
Hidden Assets (video)

https://twitter.com/haasbioroid/status/664826436612583424
https://twitter.com/WeylandCon/status/510518214070374400
https://twitter.com/nearearthhub/status/753224075263094784
https://twitter.com/HaasBioroidServ/status/733685669873213441

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 2, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Abram Jopp's (Creator of Dumblefork) has some good teaching decks for those who have all the datapack on his website. He also has a variety of other decks with why he went with specific cards. While he's not necessarily the best netrunner player, he's probably one of Netrunner's best deckbuilders.

https://stimhack.com has some really good articles that have helped me improve my game. Most recently this article got posted, which has a bunch of good tips on how to improve your game. Their forums are probably the preeminent place for metagame and deckbuilding discussions.

As for podcasts and videos I like Anr Blackhats and TeamWork Cast. Blackhats is interesting because they go through some of the popular decks on netrunnerdb with the creator and discuss specific card choices, then take the creator who copilots the deck with Dan Spinosa. The reason why I like them is because they explain why they're making the play they are.

Teamwork Cast on the other hand is literally just casting of tournament level play, which I still find very interesting. Their videos are behind by a couple weeks, but it lets you see players play at tournament level play, and they edit the videos quite well to make it easy to follow the turn.

Edit: Would people also be interesting in an online cube draft using the stimhack cube? If there's enough interest I'd start one up.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 2, 2016

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

berenzen posted:

Abram Jopp's (Creator of Dumblefork) has some good teaching decks for those who have all the datapack on his website. He also has a variety of other decks with why he went with specific cards. While he's not necessarily the best netrunner player, he's probably one of Netrunner's best deckbuilders.

Not that I think you meant otherwise, but I would like to clarify that Abram is, if not in the top tier, at the very least a very good Netrunner player.

I can't speak for the others, but the Kit deck is legit. It installs Magnum Opus and then grinds up a depressingly large pile of money, and there's nothing you can do about it as corp. MOpus is really good on the whole right now, I think.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Resources Effortpost:

NetRunner Twitterati

http://stimhack.com/ amazing site for competitive NetRunner

NetRunner Podcasts, Goon-Approved:

ANR Black Hats (video)
TeamWork Cast (video)

NetRunner Podcasts, quality unknown:

The Winning Agenda
CorpDraw
Terminal 7
Fetal AI
The Source
Run Last Click
Team Covenant (video)
Bad Publicity (Google Play)
Code Marvelous (video)
Hidden Assets (video)

I can vouch that Run Last Click is a good, lighthearted podcast that's very fun. Don't expect stunning revolutions about the game, but it was super approachable when I was a new player and they always provide entertainment.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

berenzen posted:

Those are some great decks, but most of them require 2 Core Sets (and the Andi one requires 3). Quick warning for all the normal people out there.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

2 core sets is pretty much required for even semi-competitive play.

(Also a curtain wall is very approachable, just hard to pass :colbert:)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PJOmega posted:

While I'm proud that my decks are in the OP, I'd really suggest changes for using them to teach. Pulling out the Snares and Archer from the Corp side is a good idea, swap them with whatever.

I'd also probably vote for removing those - they teach that bad things can happen, but they can also really easily cause the player to lose the game seemingly randomly and that's a really lovely experience.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'd also probably vote for removing those - they teach that bad things can happen, but they can also really easily cause the player to lose the game seemingly randomly and that's a really lovely experience.

What would you replace them with, using a single core set?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I’d probably replace them with SanSan City Grid, to help reinforce the fact that some upgrades are super powerful and need to be addressed. Data Raven to give more meaningful tags, so that the runner’s Crash Space feels more useful and the corp has a more direct way of using Private Security Force. A Beanstalk Royalties to give a little extra economy for the more expensive SanSan and Data Raven. And then finally either a second Data Raven or maybe a Red Herrings.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

ElNarez posted:

Those are some great decks, but most of them require 2 Core Sets (and the Andi one requires 3). Quick warning for all the normal people out there.

What would be a good desperado substitute in that Andi deck? No way i am getting a 3rd core.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

A doppleganger with "Desperado" sharpied across it

alternately idk a quality time? Desperado is a pretty core part of the build and while going to 2 sucks it's better than 0

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Desparado singlehandly will win you games.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

IIRC someone on stimhack slack chat was bragging about beating an asset spam deck with no installed cards other than Desperado

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

IIRC someone on stimhack slack chat was bragging about beating an asset spam deck with no installed cards other than Desperado

It's the Josh01 game vs CTM. It's worth a watch on his twitch. You can trash everything.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

sonatinas posted:

It's the Josh01 game vs CTM. It's worth a watch on his twitch. You can trash everything.

Do you have a link?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Yeah. Those decks were cooked up for a 1-core tourney.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
On the subject of starter decks, a recent episode of Run Last Click featured a bunch of decks built with a single core and then either 4 data packs or 2 packs and a big box, plus proxies for Jackson and Plascrete. The decks themselves look reasonably good and the accompanying podcast goes into detail about how to use them (in a very approachable way - RLC is light hearted and funny and basically my favourite Netrunner podcast).

Might be worth linking in the OP since it looks like a good way in for newbies, which Netrunner in general could definitely use.

http://runlastclick.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/episode-63-one-core-une-fois.html?m=1

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Also does anyone know if you can get the world champ decks from anywhere in the UK?

Edit: and have FFG said whether they'll be reprinting them?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 3, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Not that I think you meant otherwise, but I would like to clarify that Abram is, if not in the top tier, at the very least a very good Netrunner player.

I can't speak for the others, but the Kit deck is legit. It installs Magnum Opus and then grinds up a depressingly large pile of money, and there's nothing you can do about it as corp. MOpus is really good on the whole right now, I think.

Oh I wasn't implying he is a terrible player. But I wouldn't quite compare him to Dan D'Argenio in terms of skill of play. I've seen him play and make mistakes. He's still a good player, but I wouldn't necessarily rank him up there in terms of the best netrunner players out there.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Do you have a link?

https://www.twitch.tv/josh01tv/v/85821299

46 min in

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
It seems this game has completely died around me. Everything in lansing, and even Ann arbor is completely magic-ed out.

I bought the core set and all the expansions, and never got around to playing with it much. I got into it just as the last bit of scene here died. Sad really the game was a lot of fun the few times I got to play it, but its just so hard to get into. 600 dollars into what seems like a dying game seems like a big big stretch.

Is FFG release any new products to try and help new players get in? Or at least some new formats?
That seemed to be the problem around here, no new players ever joined.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xeom posted:

Is FFG release any new products to try and help new players get in? Or at least some new formats?
The two Worlds CHamps decks are a great $30 entree to the game, however they are super not-legal anymore thanks to MWL updates. They are balanced against one another, though.

I'd reach out to board gamers instead of card gamers, the play in NetRunner is mostly on-board thinking and economy management, which is one step away from wooden cube-dom.

I was honestly surprised when I got into NetRunner that a lot of players arrived from board games instead of from card games. Very few players are "multi-lingual" when I do things like play levy and say "pay 5, Timetwister."

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

quote:

I think that doing it as 4x30 packs every 2 months or so might diversify the meta. Particularly if every card is actually meaningful rather than absolute trash. That being said, most non-weyland cards have felt like that over the past couple cycles.
Me and a few people around here that were casual players dropped off because of this. Its too much "keeping up" and not enough playing/thinking time. They need to slow way down and let there be more depth to the cards/strategy when they land instead of everyone scrambling to buy more and redo everything so fast. Do a $20 set every 3 months, and a big set once a year.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Xeom posted:

It seems this game has completely died around me. Everything in lansing, and even Ann arbor is completely magic-ed out.

I bought the core set and all the expansions, and never got around to playing with it much. I got into it just as the last bit of scene here died. Sad really the game was a lot of fun the few times I got to play it, but its just so hard to get into. 600 dollars into what seems like a dying game seems like a big big stretch.

I'm under the impression the Ann Arbor scene is still around. There was just a Michigan team tournament.

Ask the folks here: http://forum.stimhack.com/t/summer-team-tournament-in-metro-detroit/7611/14

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
How do you guys feel about some of the suggested formats like 1:1:1:1 and it's slight variants?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Xeom posted:

How do you guys feel about some of the suggested formats like 1:1:1:1 and it's slight variants?

I've been wanting to see what could be done in a singleton format for a little while. Also, why isn't there a Goon Jinteki league. If there's not one being arranged by the time I get off work tonight, I'll start arranging it.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Also, why isn't there a Goon Jinteki league. If there's not one being arranged by the time I get off work tonight, I'll start arranging it.

Count me in (as free points in swiss because I am terrible).

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm up for it but I'm in the UK so it might not be feasible for me. Gotta rep big green!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

A jinteki league sounds like fun. Count me in.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'd be down, especially with some kind of deck building rules. Maybe write some code to mockup card packs so that drafts or limited formats could be done in some way?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'd be down, especially with some kind of deck building rules. Maybe write some code to mockup card packs so that drafts or limited formats could be done in some way?

https://meteor.stimhack.com has some cube drafts available up to liberated mind.

Also BigBoy and a few others are doing an interesting draft of the full card pool that you can see here

berenzen fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 4, 2016

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Netrunner League 1.0

Jinteki League thread is up!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Blood Money is a weird pack. Two separate Fracters right next to each other, one really good and one mediocre?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 4, 2016

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Just realized Im 8 packs behind. They need to slow down.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Soon to be nine. Escalation releases in what? 2 weeks?

Edit: People are looking at lot at temujin, and for good reason. But good god does she do work in my Leela Deck

berenzen fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 4, 2016

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The capitalised R in the thread title is triggering the poo poo of me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shockeh posted:

The capitalised R in the thread title is triggering the poo poo of me.

InCaps are basically the most 90s cyberpunk thing possible short of trading your s's for z's.

Do you guys like the new OP at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
What an embarrassing OP :(

• Locked thread