Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

What an embarrassing OP :(
Well poo poo, if Vlaada hates my OP I should just kill myself.

Vlaada why.... :cry:

We gave Codenames the GOTY 'Castie on NPCCast last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Perhaps if it wasn't so "in character". It did contain useful links and pertinent information, but, my god, it just makes my eyes glaze over.

Edit: I haven't played Netrunner for two years or so. At the time, it had a regular following at my local game store. Has much changed since the lunar themed expansion released? Have any sets ended up being phased out for tournament play?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Perhaps if it wasn't so "in character". It did contain useful links and pertinent information, but, my god, it just makes my eyes glaze over.

Edit: I haven't played Netrunner for two years or so. At the time, it had a regular following at my local game store. Has much changed since the lunar themed expansion released? Have any sets ended up being phased out for tournament play?

Nothing has rotated yet, but it's slated to happen at the end of the current cycle. In terms of changes, uh, basically everything is topsy-turvy in terms of meta (Anarchs are top dogs then Crim/Shapers runner wise, NBN top corpside followed by uhh HB and Jinteki kill I guess) especially since they put out a restricted list (increasing influence cost on certain cards, even in-faction) and errata'ing a few.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

Nothing has rotated yet, but it's slated to happen at the end of the current cycle. In terms of changes, uh, basically everything is topsy-turvy in terms of meta (Anarchs are top dogs then Crim/Shapers runner wise, NBN top corpside followed by uhh HB and Jinteki kill I guess) especially since they put out a restricted list (increasing influence cost on certain cards, even in-faction) and errata'ing a few.

NBN has been top corp since the day Plascrete Carapace knocked Weyland from that spot two data packs in. Glad to see that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well Astroscript is now limit one per deck so its a different kind of NBN at least :v:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

NBN has been top corp since the day Plascrete Carapace knocked Weyland from that spot two data packs in. Glad to see that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Eh, that's a bit of an overstatement (especially since iirc hb ruled that era). As a primarily nbn player from the start, I remember the biggest jump in effectiveness (prior to the current golden era that started with the printing of NEH) was the printing of Future Proof. Those Beales just turbocharged fast advance and (together with midseasons in the same pack) made psychographics shenanigans a thing. That's when the yellow went from jintekiesque fun jank to a lean, mean scoring machine.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Then NEH took the supercharge to a whole new level with the ability to clicklessly draw by installing cards, with the threat of scorched earth as a back-up.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'm not sure who the OP is intended for. Saying that SanSan City Grid allows NBN to Fast Advance is meaningless to prospective players who don't know what SanSan City Grid is or what Fast Advance means, and is equally useless to established players who are already perfectly well-aware that SanSan City Grid is a good Fast Advance card.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So with this Jinteki thing I can play against goons online? That sounds cool, my last TCG experience dates back to high school though (Magic).

e: also the OP tries to create a fun cyberpunk feel, it succeeds at that imho :)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

mike12345 posted:

So with this Jinteki thing I can play against goons online?

Yes!

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Any deck recommendations for someone that's fairly new to try on jinteki?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Xeom posted:

Any deck recommendations for someone that's fairly new to try on jinteki?

berenzen posted:

Abram Jopp's (Creator of Dumblefork) has some good teaching decks for those who have all the datapack on his website. He also has a variety of other decks with why he went with specific cards. While he's not necessarily the best netrunner player, he's probably one of Netrunner's best deckbuilders.

The Whizzard one in particular is pretty decent even against a full cardpool

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Going to my first ever Netrunner league event at my FLGS today. Wish me luck! This is the first organized Netrunner event to happen in my city, so I hope the turnout is good.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

dropkickpikachu posted:

Going to my first ever Netrunner league event at my FLGS today. Wish me luck! This is the first organized Netrunner event to happen in my city, so I hope the turnout is good.

If your experience is anything like mine, you will experience a gauntlet that's gonna show you every weakness in your decks and in your play, and you will come out of it with about a thousand ideas about what to do better for next time. It is a great experience that I would recommend to everyone.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

So, in the spirit of janky bullshit decks, I made a deck designed to blank out as many runner IDs as possible.

Blank IDs

GRNDL: Power Unleashed (Fear and Loathing)

Agenda (13)
1x Geothermal Fracking (Opening Moves)
3x Hostile Takeover (Core Set)
3x Oaktown Renovation (Chrome City)
3x Profiteering (Second Thoughts)
3x Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead)

Operation (36)
3x Beanstalk Royalties (Core Set)
3x Consulting Visit (The Liberated Mind)
1x Cyberdex Trial (Opening Moves)
2x Fast Track (Honor and Profit)
2x Hard-Hitting News (23 Seconds) ●●●●
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Housekeeping (Order and Chaos)
1x Midseason Replacements (Future Proof) ●●●●
3x Restructure (Second Thoughts)
3x Scorched Earth (Core Set)
1x SEA Source (Core Set) ●●
2x Snatch and Grab (All That Remains)
3x Stock Buy-Back (23 Seconds)
2x Subliminal Messaging (Fear and Loathing)
3x Traffic Accident (Order and Chaos)
2x Witness Tampering (Double Time)
10 influence spent (max 10, available 0)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to 23 Seconds

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

-GRNDL to blank Valencia, since starting bad pub doesn't stack
-Nothing to trash in order to blank Whizzard
-No ICE, which blanks a number of runner IDs: Null, Quetzal, Reina, Khan, Nero, Nasir, Kit
-There is often nothing installed during the runner's turn, which blanks Silhouette (no expose targets) and Leela (no bounce targets)

Unfortunately I can't run no operations, so Kim is a rough matchup. And theoretically I could take out the yellow cards/Snatch and Grab and put in Snares for tags to blank link/Sunny, but I don't want to have to rely on just Snare to land a tag for Scorch.

So far this deck has a 100% win rate on Jinteki, by virtue of winning the only test game I've done so far.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

No ice Haarp kill was hilarious dumb fun on casual jnet

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Hey all, just a quick reminder that today is the last day to sign up for Netrunner Goon League. All skill levels welcome, we've got 14 players signed up so far, so there will definitely be at least four rounds for this first league.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm thinking about teaching someone to play this game. Is there still a list of some starter decks that are good for that? Basically cover the fundamentals but not janky and cause people to glaze over with rules or weird janky mechanics? Also reasonably good matchups (so not one side stomping the other). I want it to make a good first impression.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Radish posted:

I'm thinking about teaching someone to play this game. Is there still a list of some starter decks that are good for that? Basically cover the fundamentals but not janky and cause people to glaze over with rules or weird janky mechanics? Also reasonably good matchups (so not one side stomping the other). I want it to make a good first impression.

Check the OP for two decks designed to play fair, teach basic game concepts and strategy, and buildable out of just 1 starter.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Check the OP for two decks designed to play fair, teach basic game concepts and strategy, and buildable out of just 1 starter.

Ahh cool thanks.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Someone last page linked the runthenet article about a set of 6 teaching decks which are generally well-balanced against each other, if perhaps a little more complicated than you'd want.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
For folks playing in the Jinteki league: PAIRINGS! are now up for Round 1.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Yes, much agreement with this. I still have a couple ancient decks of cards for the original WOTC Netrunner and poked in here because I've heard good things about the newer FFG version and wanted more info on how the new version plays, but the OP was nearly impenetrable for someone who hasn't touched the current version (and this is coming from someone who read Neuromancer in grade school when it came out in 1984).

I mostly wanted to know how it plays, mechanically, and is it fixed decks or some kind of make-a-deck game like the old CCG? Seems odd to do deck construction when it's now sold as pre-made boxed sets instead of random packs, but I gather from the rest of the posts on the first page that you do customize the decks, sooo...

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yes, much agreement with this. I still have a couple ancient decks of cards for the original WOTC Netrunner and poked in here because I've heard good things about the newer FFG version and wanted more info on how the new version plays, but the OP was nearly impenetrable for someone who hasn't touched the current version (and this is coming from someone who read Neuromancer in grade school when it came out in 1984).

I mostly wanted to know how it plays, mechanically, and is it fixed decks or some kind of make-a-deck game like the old CCG? Seems odd to do deck construction when it's now sold as pre-made boxed sets instead of random packs, but I gather from the rest of the posts on the first page that you do customize the decks, sooo...

What the fixed packs mean is that you get a playset of every card in the set, they're not premade decks.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

HotCanadianChick posted:

Seems odd to do deck construction when it's now sold as pre-made boxed sets instead of random packs, but I gather from the rest of the posts on the first page that you do customize the decks, sooo...
Think of it as a MTG set except you know you get a playset of every card in the release for $15 instead of spending $2000 to (maybe) get a play set of each card. You have all the cards, but you still need to make a deck with them.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Radish posted:

One of the recent episodes of Run Last Click has a bunch of starter decks made out of a single core plus either four datapacks or two packs and a big box. They're explicitly designed for people just getting started and who don't want to drop £500 straight away.

If you have access to the entire card pool then Abram Jopp (aka TheBigBoy) has a list of teaching decks on his blog too.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

OK I tried my hand at a quick FAQ that could maybe be added to the OP to set out the very basics for newbies:

What is Android:Netrunner, anyway?

It's a reboot of an old Wizards of the Coast game, called plain "Netrunner", that has been moved into Fantasy Flight's "Android" universe. It's a cyber-punk themed, asymmetrical card game with hidden information and bluffing. Think Magic or Pokemon, except there are two different sides, and each side is split further into "factions". The Corporation is trying to score "agendas" and the Runner (ie the hacker) is trying to steal them. Corp and Runner decks are fundamentally different - they draw from a different pool of cards, and have different mechanics. Essentially the Corp is trying to keep the runner out of its servers (or possibly to kill them), whilst the Runner is trying to break in. Information asymmetry is important: most of the Corporation's cards are played face down at first, which means the Runner doesn't know what they are until they interact with them. That lets you lay traps, plan ambushes and try for bluffs, and is a big part of the reason why Netrunner is such an intellectually stimulating game.

Apparently it's an LCG, whatever that is

Yup. An LCG is FFG's take on collectable card games. To get started with the game you buy a "Core Set", which contains enough cards to make playable decks for each of the seven factions. If you then want to expand your card pool you buy booster packs. But instead of being full of random cards, each booster (called a "data pack" in Netrunner) contains 3 copies of 20 fixed cards, split roughly evenly between the factions. This means you know exactly what you're getting when you buy. In other words, if I want Jackson Howard for my Corp decks, I buy Opening Moves and I'll get three copies of him, guaranteed. If I want Temujin Contract for my Runners, I buy Blood Money and there will be three copies of it in there, along with three copies of the 19 other cards contained within that pack. The packs are released in "cycles" of six packs, so 120 new cards per cycle. The idea is to remove the randomness you get when buying MTG or Pokemon packs. That has the side effect of basically killing the secondary market, since there's little cause to trade cards. There is a small secondary market in Netrunner, but it consists almost entirely of alt-art cards that are given out as prizes at FFG-sanctioned tournaments and you should feel free to completely ignore it.

Does that mean it's cheap to get started?

Ehh. It means you know in advance how much it's going to cost, put it that way :) . There's one important snag with the LCG model, which is that You will probably need to buy a second Core Set at some point, and if you're really serious about it you will need a third, too. Every booster contains a complete playset of the cards in it (ie three copies). The Core Set is the sole exception to this rule, and has two or even one copy only of many, many cards, some of which are among the most powerful in the game. FFG says this is necessary because the Core Set is designed contain playable decks for all seven factions straight out of the box and there's a limit to how many cards they could cram in. The fact that many of the singleton cards happen to be extremely powerful (SanSan City Grid, Aesop's Pawnshop, Desperado, etc) leads some cynical and jaded individuals to unfairly assume that another motive might be that having people buy multiple Core Sets is a good way to make money.

As of this writing we're up to cycle number six (the cycles, in order, are Genesis, Spin, Lunar, SanSan, Mumbad and Flashpoint). Each expansion is six data packs, and they cost roughly £12 each in the UK. There are also four "big box" expansions which contain more cards than a standard pack and which focus on two factions, one Corp and one Runner. Those tend to cost more like £25. Assuming you also buy three Core Sets you'll be looking at roughly £600 to buy a complete card set once the Flashpoint cycle is complete.

Holy poo poo that's a lot of money for a load of printed cardboard

Yup. But you don't have to dive in all at once. The Core Set contains seven complete decks so there's nothing to stop you buying just that and seeing if you like it. The community has put together starter decks that you can play with a limited card pool (for some good suggestions check out episode 63 of "Run Last Click", one of the more popular Netrunner podcasts). NetrunnderDB, a deck-building site, will let you search for decks made with a limited number of packs. And the community of players is generally pretty chill, and won't object to you making "proxies" of certain cards if you want (which is as simple as getting a piece of paper, writing the name of the proxied card on it, and putting it into a card sleeve (be sure to put another, real card behind it so you can't tell which are your proxied cards when they're face down, as that would be cheating)). So you can ease yourself in gently if you want, though proxies are not legal at official FFG tournaments. Even then you'll probably find that other players will be happy to lend you cards for the duration of a tournament if you ask them in advance; as I said the community is pretty chill.

The other thing to consider is rotation. The card pool will not stay fixed, and in 2017 the first two cycles (So Genesis and Spin) will rotate out. That means they'll no longer be legal for tournament play. The Core Set will never rotate. Neither will the big boxes, so if you want to jump in they might be a good place to start.

That's a lot of words. Is this game fun?
Yes. Yes it is.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 8, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I might also note that you can buy used, which is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Someone last page linked the runthenet article about a set of 6 teaching decks which are generally well-balanced against each other, if perhaps a little more complicated than you'd want.

Zephro posted:

One of the recent episodes of Run Last Click has a bunch of starter decks made out of a single core plus either four datapacks or two packs and a big box. They're explicitly designed for people just getting started and who don't want to drop £500 straight away.

If you have access to the entire card pool then Abram Jopp (aka TheBigBoy) has a list of teaching decks on his blog too.

Sweet thanks. I have pretty much the entire pool short a few of the recent datapacks.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

ZorajitZorajit posted:

For folks playing in the Jinteki league: PAIRINGS! are now up for Round 1.

If you need a replacement you can send me a PM. I missed this but am willing to play some games with goons.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I've been trying to make a Khan deck and struggling massively. I think they made a misstep when they gave her 12 influence, it's just not enough to create a program suite that synergises well with her ability. Golden is awful, the Chameleon suite is too influence-heavy by itself, and combining Brahman with the disposable Crim breakers just doesn't do enough. I'm currently scraping by with Brahman and David (plus Breach, Rex and Mongoose) but there is literally only just about enough influence for those, Oracle May and a single piece of recursion. FFG really cut her off at the knees.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

WFGuy posted:

I've been trying to make a Khan deck and struggling massively. I think they made a misstep when they gave her 12 influence, it's just not enough to create a program suite that synergises well with her ability. Golden is awful, the Chameleon suite is too influence-heavy by itself, and combining Brahman with the disposable Crim breakers just doesn't do enough. I'm currently scraping by with Brahman and David (plus Breach, Rex and Mongoose) but there is literally only just about enough influence for those, Oracle May and a single piece of recursion. FFG really cut her off at the knees.

Khan is bad. Her Khantract is the good part of her suite.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Criminals aren’t allowed to be good anymore, duh.

Khan has potential I feel, but just not in current criminal. Crims just have such garbage breakers, and with 0 link she can’t really easily use the disposable breakers, which are the only real general-use ones criminals have and are the obvious ones to use with her ability that aren’t out of faction. Her breaker works well with her ability, but holy christ is it hot garbage. If crims got one or two great breakers then she’d be way better.

I’d probably say that people might be trying to take too much of an advantage of her ability - maybe instead of trying to make use of it throughout the entire game, it might be better to just make use of it to speed up initial setup? Since each time it triggers is saving 2 clicks’ worth of effort. Sure you could make use of it through the entire game for a lot of benefit, but the hoops you need to jump through to do that might be effort better spent towards just rushing the game super duper early and winning before any corp setup can be done? That's kinda crim's thing anyways.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

There you run into the risk of having a deck that would actually somehow be better in Silhouette.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

It just seems really weird to give a Criminal ID 12 influence with the current card pool. You have to spend a huge chunk of inf importing breakers - even Killers which are supposed to be your faction speciality. Golden is bad, Faerie is great but you have no recursion, Femme is incredibly expensive. Shrike is probably the best general-purpose Killer out there.

Then because the breakers cost inf it's back-breaking to import more than once of each, but guess what! You have no recursion either, so now you need to import some of that, or else you need to be super-cautious to make sure you never lose one because if you do you're locked out. By the time you've done all that you have almost nothing left.

edit: nm

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 14, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm beginning to think that Netrunner is a well-designed game that is pretty poorly developed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm beginning to think that Netrunner is a well-designed game that is pretty poorly developed.

ffg.txt

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Zephro posted:

It just seems really weird to give a Criminal ID 12 influence with the current card pool. You have to spend a huge chunk of inf importing breakers - even Killers which are supposed to be your faction speciality. Golden is bad, Faerie is great but you have no recursion, Femme is incredibly expensive. Shrike is probably the best general-purpose Killer out there.

Then because the breakers cost inf it's back-breaking to import more than once of each, but guess what! You have no recursion either, so now you need to import some of that, or else you need to be super-cautious to make sure you never lose one because if you do you're locked out. By the time you've done all that you have almost nothing left.

edit: nm

Don't forget about needing to import R&D multi-access! And card draw!

Basically the only thing criminals don't need to import is economy and a console.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Luckily, in spite of Criminal getting yet another turd of an ID, Temujin contract is a fun and good card and Criminal is great again and I can confidently bring the best faction (Criminal) to worlds this year.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Basically the only thing criminals don't need to import is economy and a console.
You gotta pay inf for Desperado, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Don't forget about needing to import R&D multi-access! And card draw!

Static Equilibrium posted:

You gotta pay inf for Desperado, too.
lol I was gonna say. Crims even have to import the Crim console.

• Locked thread