Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm still rolling my eyes that they aren't putting 3x every card in core 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Finster Dexter posted:

I'm thinking of getting into this... I assume I'll need 3 revised core sets if I want to netdeck. What about all those past cycles? Do I need to buy up all of those, too, that aren't getting rotated out?

wait for the revised core set to come out later this year.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Midjack posted:

I'm still rolling my eyes that they aren't putting 3x every card in core 2.

It does let them get a wider spread of cards in for the Core deck experience, which matters a little more when you have cards like Elizabeth Mills in there that don't do much for the Core decks but get saved from rotation by doing so.

It's still a money grab, sure, but at least it's not L5R where you can't even build a legal deck with one Core.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
At the risk of being an apologist for FFG, there are some legitimate printing reasons for not including 3x everything in the core set (ie Core has the most cards and the longest print runs so at some point they are saving print costs by keeping the number of sheets of cards down.

But their line that "People wouldn't buy completion sets" is hot frothy poop and always has been.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

For what it's worth I bought two core sets and then spent like $15 on ebay buying another set of the one offs to get a full playset. I'm sure it will still be possible once Core 2.0 comes around, although price will probably be a bit higher at the start.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Counterpoint: buy 1 (revised) core, and then play the game and see if you a) like it b) want to make a deck that needs multiple core sets and c) want to take that deck to tournaments. You can honestly skirt by on just a single core set, especially if you're just playing casually with friends - nobody will care if you proxy multiple core set cards unless you're actively going to a tournament.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Also the 1-of Revised Core Set cards can probably be bought on the cheap, if you can find a store that still has some of the rotated datapacks.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I only ever bought 2 cores and I'm flying to Worlds in the morning. You definitely don't need to go all in on 3 cores right away.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Counterpoint: buy 1 (revised) core, and then play the game and see if you a) like it b) want to make a deck that needs multiple core sets and c) want to take that deck to tournaments. You can honestly skirt by on just a single core set, especially if you're just playing casually with friends - nobody will care if you proxy multiple core set cards unless you're actively going to a tournament.

I previously bought 2 old cores and played a lot with my wife. Does that change things? Would I still want 2 revised cores, then? Or just 1 to get cards from the cycles I never got cards from? Eventually, I want to work up to tournament play, which means I'll be netdecking a lot, as I'm going to play L5R as my main competitive game and where I'll be spending the bulk of my time.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Worlds today and I can't watch, but hopefully dodgepong will do a second stream this year again

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

It's starting soon, I'm so loving nervous. If I could split the six rounds I'd be elated.

EDIT: Went 3-9, confirming my status as a terrible player.

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 5, 2017

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I bought every card, 3x cores, never played. Rip.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

vandalism posted:

I bought every card, 3x cores, never played. Rip.

Why?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
You know you can play online right? Speaking of which, somebody should get a league going again...

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

ZorajitZorajit posted:

You know you can play online right? Speaking of which, somebody should get a league going again...

Are you volunteering? I promise no more prison decks.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

Are you volunteering? I promise no more prison decks.

Excuse me, the correct term is Rope Soap.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I can put one together. I don't know what I'll do with crim in such a dire shape though.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

berenzen posted:

I can put one together. I don't know what I'll do with crim in such a dire shape though.

Geist all day erry day

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

Geist all day erry day

But I don't like geist. I was so sad seeing both Gang Sign and MOpus on the restricted list, because the big issue I have with my Leela deck is that it struggles for cash. I'm hoping that we maybe see a criminal current that generates cash for the runner in Kitara.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

berenzen posted:

But I don't like geist. I was so sad seeing both Gang Sign and MOpus on the restricted list, because the big issue I have with my Leela deck is that it struggles for cash. I'm hoping that we maybe see a criminal current that generates cash for the runner in Kitara.

This probably going to be the only crim current.

https://i.imgur.com/fKxmDhn_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I did a thing.

Jinteki League 3.0 is now live.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

berenzen posted:

But I don't like geist. I was so sad seeing both Gang Sign and MOpus on the restricted list, because the big issue I have with my Leela deck is that it struggles for cash.

You could try Fan Site plus The Shadow Net to get some extra econ bursts in the midgame.

I honestly don't know why there was never a Runner version of Restructure, but now there's no Corp version either so oh well.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I'm running Tapwrm and sac con right now. But it's damned difficult to try and keep my money up while also trying to get everything else set up. I hope that crims get something to help them with their money, and perhaps some econ denial that's not quite as strong as siphon. I loved my tempo leela deck that put corps low early game, then used their rebuilding period to accelerate even faster with tapwrm and beth.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

You could try Fan Site plus The Shadow Net to get some extra econ bursts in the midgame.

I honestly don't know why there was never a Runner version of Restructure, but now there's no Corp version either so oh well.

There's IPO?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AgentF posted:

There's IPO?

I mean the "spend 10 to gain 15" effect specifically, which had a Corp card but no Runner card. Unlike Hedge Fund which had Sure Gamble, and Beanstalk Royalties which had Easy Mark.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CirclMastr posted:

I mean the "spend 10 to gain 15" effect specifically, which had a Corp card but no Runner card. Unlike Hedge Fund which had Sure Gamble, and Beanstalk Royalties which had Easy Mark.

I think that was a deliberate thematic decision to emphasize that Corps have much, much more money than Runners ever will, in an absolute value sense.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Shoulda made a runner version named "Mortgage"

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

berenzen posted:

I did a thing.

Jinteki League 3.0 is now live.

Thanks for running the show this time friend

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, the Jinteki league is getting me back into NR. I stopped playing when Faust was whizzarding all over the meta, so it's cool to come back and see all that poo poo's gone.

Someone tell me how my new Smoke deck sucks.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Machai posted:

Shoulda made a runner version named "Mortgage"
Mortgage
Event, 15 credits
Gain 10 credits

quote:

Someone tell me how my new Smoke deck sucks.
You might want to try to cram in a couple of SacCons. And maybe a Feedback Filter given how common PU was at Worlds

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 8, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Zephro posted:

Mortgage
Event, 15 credits
Gain 10 credits

That might actually be worse than Loan from Chiba

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

That might actually be worse than Loan from Chiba

Nah, because you can figure out a way to trash it from your hand and then shadownet it for free.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

By the by, I got a Discord Server set up. Set it up for the tourney, but no reason why we can't use it for general netrunner bullshit.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm playing on jinteki against NBN launching Door to door at me turn 1. I then proceed to sit on my rear end and pop Opus Magnum while sitting on a low hand of conspiracy breakers and IHWs until the corp itself chooses to feed me an agenda (on Alice archive run) just to make it stop.

It was a fun game.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

2 people in my town play, they both moved on to other games. I really like the art and I enjoyed collecting the cards so it wasn't a loss; I don't look at it like I wasted money. More of a completionist thing. I got into l5r now and the same thing will probably happen, but at least more people are playing that now. I just play on jinteki when I get the time.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Is there an official release date on the Revised Core? And is there any idea yet of what the "you need this poo poo to play" meta is gonna look like when 2.0 drops? I'm hoping to pick up a 2.0 & use the cards that are still legal in my 1.0 to get back into this....

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

Is there an official release date on the Revised Core? And is there any idea yet of what the "you need this poo poo to play" meta is gonna look like when 2.0 drops? I'm hoping to pick up a 2.0 & use the cards that are still legal in my 1.0 to get back into this....

Check the decks that made it to the top of Worlds - they were operating in Core 2 space.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Midjack posted:

Check the decks that made it to the top of Worlds - they were operating in Core 2 space.

In case people don’t know, alwaysberunning.net seems to be where people post tournament results and decklists these days.

CI (with a variety of wincons and influence spreads), Hayley (with a variety of econ engines and shaper nonsense), Val(/other anarchs), CTM, PU, AgInf, and Geist all seemed pretty legit. Criminal is otherwise super dead until they reprint siphon and hopefully they just ban CI.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How's Enforced Curfew in PU? I'm trying to decide if/how I want to make room for a counter-current, and there's unfortunately no way I have influence free for Housekeeping unless I cut down to literally just a single Ark Lockdown and a single point of Inf leftover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I feel like, even with Whizzard gone, Cerebral Static still puts in work. It's a pseudo- Bad Times against CT, and unless your opponent is Valencia, you'll always get something out of it.

• Locked thread