Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

CirclMastr posted:

So it's like 13 hours before SoCal Regional and I am having second thoughts about even going. I have that barely-tested Whizzard deck since I expect all of the asset spam (and even if Timmy Wong doesn't show since he won NorCal, the rest of that King of Servers team is probably going to show up with some version of Mooninites), and I have my RP Prison deck that, hey, as long as everyone is teching against Mooninites they'll be teched against RP Prison automatically!

Maybe I should just say gently caress it and wait for L5R to come out.
Just go and have fun. If you're really worried bring a netdecked 24/7 Boom or CI or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Film Critic is a bad card that blanks too many other, interesting cards for very little downside. Its cost is not even close to being comparable to its benefit and blanking cards is just about the least fun mechanic in any card game: it should go on the MWL.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Temmy-J Whizz with Maw, Hacktivist and Slums / AI .

ie the safe, boring but reliable option

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 29, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I actually don't think the World Champ decks are that great a solution because they devalue the other packs a bit. You don't need six copies of Architect, so you feel like you're getting less value from the ordinary data packs when it comes time to buy them.

Totally agree that silver bullets are a really lovely design philosophy, though. And I agree that aggressive rotation would be good both for lowering the buy-in cost and allowing tweaks to game balance, or at least ensuring that nonsense like Rumour Mill doesn't stick around for too long.

edit: also the more I play the more I have an irrational hatred for Film Critic, another stupid anti-fun card that's splashable by everyone and utterly neuters ID abilities that some Corps rely on as their win conditions.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 6, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The other problem with the World Champ decks is that, by definition, they're the acme of powergaming and powergaming is often degenerate. If my only experience with Netrunner was Val DLR (which was the 2015 Runner deck) then I probably wouldn't be at all keen to buy into the game.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The Deleter posted:

- Review design policy to figure out whats "good"/"fun" interaction and what isn't
All of the unfun cards seem to me to be cards that remove options or circumvent part of the game. Rumour Mill, Employee Strike, Cerebral Static (OK it's not powerful but it's unfun design for the same reason as Estrike), Film Critic, Blackmail. It's interesting that most of the examples I can think of seem to be on the Runner side, too. Some cards are unfun but only become problematic when support cards boost their power level into playability (Blackmail and DLR are the two that come to mind). But it's probably easier just to avoid stuff like that altogether rather than try to fix it later with silver bullets.

I suppose prison decks are the Corp equivalent of a lot of those Runner cards, but they seem to depend on interactions between a bunch of cards that are fine by themselves. Though I guess MWL'ing Museum of History was a good idea.

Card design should emphasise broad utility, trade-offs and interaction between the players. It should avoid non-interactivity, overly narrow applicability and silver bullet-ness.

edit: some random cards that seem like good design to me: Temujin (though the numbers need tweaking), Targeted Marketing, Account Siphon, Plop.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 6, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I dunno. The political assets are badly tuned (ie they're too powerful) but that's not the same as being badly designed. The idea of an asset you don't want to ice doesn't seem un-fun, or like it removes decisions or removes a key part of the game. They just messed up on the trade-off and made them too good. Rumour Mill is bad design because it basically reads "a bunch of your cards do nothing" and there's no real way to make that fun or interesting. Cerebral Static is equally bad design even though it's much less powerful.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I don't Lukas was a particularly bad designer, was he? Most of his cards were conservatively tuned but that's fine, especially early in a game's life so you don't get Black Lotuses and Time Walks everywhere.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

vandalism posted:

Yeah, I totally read Standoff as you having to trash your own poo poo. That makes no sense with the art. I guess it makes sense thematically. I guess it is good turn one and to sac to Jemison later on. This card is a huge liability once you get any kind of board state whatsoever. Seems garbage.
Even when it comes to Jemison it's just much, much worse than Hostile Takeover since it's not worth any points itself. Don't know why you'd ever run it.

edit: maaaybe as a combo with Warrioid Tracker but that's a lot of effort to make a 2/0 with a big downside worth using.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 24, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Data Loop is interesting. Feels like it's oppressive as hell early on when the runner is still setting up, but loses power as the game goes on and they assemble more of their rig. I like it.

Open Forum is clickless draw which is always good, plus it helps defend R&D by sticking Sappers, Snare!s, News Teams or random innocuous cards on top. Feels like it would be good in rush / supermodernism.

Those Jinteki agendas seem bad. The 3/1 might have worked if it were +2 credits per resource.

edit: actually I guess Mandatory Replanting at least enables some comedy plays. If it's your second to last score you can transfer every piece of rezzed ice you have into one giant stack on your scoring sever, which would be funny. I guess it screws with CyCy and maybe AI breakers a bit? Nisei Mk 2 is still a million times better though

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 14, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The Core 2 dream was real all along :unsmith:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

also i totally called CT for Kate and Reina for Noise, go me

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Everyone called CT for Kate, but I thought it was REAAALLLLYYY obvious that Null was being set up as the new core Anarch.
I'm just happy that we have Dinosaurus forever. Look at him. Look at that cute goofy grin. A good dogge dinosaur

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The Corp-side stuff is more interesting, actually. Ash is in the core but Caprice isn't. Caduceus and Hive beef up Weyland a bit. No Scorch removes the signature Weyland ability and combined with Midseason rotating probably kills the entire Supermodernism archetype, which is a real shame because it was my favourite way to play Netrunner. Jinteki gets Celebrity Gift to fix their traditional Core money problems, and Ronin and Wall of Thorns to fix the "why would I ever check advanced cards when I can win off R&D" problem with the shellgame in Core 1.0. Stronger Together sucks rear end, but that's karma for ETF being so good for so long and it might let some of the other HB identities shine. NBN is unrecognisable from Core 1.0 - no Astro and no SanSan means fast advance isn't happening. No Breaking News is also huge. Adding Bernice and TGTBT focuses them on tags instead, but I'm not sure how you'll ever get a psychographics off without Midseasons to power it.

Still it should massively shake up the meta. Should be pretty exciting.

edit: talking about Core only here. You can still Supermodernism with Hard-Hitting News etc. But Weyland and NBN are totally different from their Core 1.0 incarnations. HB has gained rigshooting as well as its usual tricks of money (though less with no ETF) and fast-advance. Jinteki is the closest to its Core 1.0 incarnation, but considerably beefed up.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 12, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Thanks! I'll take those for a spin. I'm getting the itch to play again and thought I'd put together something to try and get some friends on board.

I'm mostly just playing with my older collection (up through Order and Chaos), but I'm kind of thinking of grabbing a few more packs or at least the deluxes I'm missing (Data and Destiny/Terminal Directive). I'm curious though, if I don't really have any interest in NBN or the mini-factions, would I be okay just skipping D&D? And would it be much of an issue if I just skipped the SanSan/Mumbad/Flashpoint cycles? I normally want to go in order but I like the theme of Red Sands and want to try my hand at janky casual Jemison decks.

Also, was looking around and came across this, which seems like they're possibly getting rid of MWL and just straight up banning and restricting cards.

Huh. Some of those make total sense, but Obokata Protocol? Aesop's? Hunter-Seeker?

edit: I guess Obokata makes a little more sense with Film Critic on there as well

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 20, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

So as I understand it, Worlds will be the last hurrah for both the MWL and Core 1.0/first two cycle cards? And after that we're on the all Geist/CI meta, correct?

Also, CBI raid is hilarious against CI and I cannot recommend it enough.
I like how much Core 2.0 has shaken up the meta, CBI raid was once seen as irredeemably trash tier, now it's just comedy-jank tier. I've even seen Information Sifting played unironically

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Quick question:

AR Enhanced Security says "the first time the Runner trashes a Corp card each turn, give him or her one tag".

Maw says "...The Corp must trash 1 card from HQ at random".

Does ARES fire on Maw triggers? Maw's card text says the Corp is doing the trashing, not the Runner, but on j.net at least you get tags in this situation.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Yeah, that's what I thought. Maybe I'll raise it with the jnet people

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

It doesn't just screw up multi-access, though? It lets you assemble combo pieces, so you can hunt for a Punitive or a Shipment to score your other agenda or whatever. It's probably not as good as Obokata but it's not total trash either. It gives you a powerful response to losing an agenda, and it's quite a cool mechanic.

edit: also nice to see they've got someone with actual game knowledge writing the preview pieces

edit2: i r dum and forgot FC is already restricted

Zephro fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 23, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

It was at least an amusingly meta thing to happen in a game about hacking the internetz

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Machai posted:

Shoulda made a runner version named "Mortgage"
Mortgage
Event, 15 credits
Gain 10 credits

quote:

Someone tell me how my new Smoke deck sucks.
You might want to try to cram in a couple of SacCons. And maybe a Feedback Filter given how common PU was at Worlds

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 8, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

My vote would be Cybernetics Division. It's cool flavour and sounds good on paper but cycle after cycle it just somehow fails to come together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

So one of my new year's resolutions is to finally play Terminal Directive in my lunch hour with a buddy who works nearby.

What's the best way to do it? I've heard people suggest Core + TD only, which makes sense. What about Revised Core?

• Locked thread