Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Smoke is gonna be a goddamn monster with that thing, geez.

Yep, it's massive. It *is* unique, and is going to push even more runners into resource-heavy decks, which has its own issues. But it's still an immense card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

berenzen posted:

Honestly, the game is worse off if it's based on "what server was that psychic field that I ran 20 minutes ago again? The one he just overwrote, or the one right beside it"

I agree - the rules say bluffing is allowed, they don't say Netrunner should turn into a game of 'Find the Lady'.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Is there a bad card that Smoke has shown up on/been related to? I feel like the worst is Dai V, and even that isn't like, actively awful, and otherwise it's just straight good stuff.

Yeah, Smoke has amazing cards in this cycle, and Quorum is no exception. Corps get here...NASX, which is ok I guess, a How I Met Your Mother joke, and a Terminal operation which seems kind of bad. I mean, this thing gets a trash cost but HHN doesn't? What's the logic?

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

berenzen posted:

NASX is a must trash. 3 PADs +this. Turn start 6 power counters. Money card to 8, money card to 10, click and trash for 20 credits for investment of 10.

Yeah, but if you've got 3 PADs on the go and they've not been trashed you're way ahead of the game already. It's rare I see more than 1 PAD up at a time unless the runner's economy is stalled out. Feels like a 'win more' card.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Yithian posted:

Well they've got to do something to get Weyland back on the map... v:shobon:v

Rumor Mill says hi.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Do you have a link to said grindy RP deck? I'm desperately casting about for Jinteki decks to play which actually work at the moment.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

So Adjusted Matrix...does the breaker it's hosted on have to boost strength to equal the ICE's strength to use its ability? Because it would seem the answer is yes from the rules as they stand, and that's not great. I guess you're saying 'I can break ICE this breaker normally couldn't interact with by using clicks, but I still have to pump', but clicks are really precious. Five to install and then needing to match strength as well seems kind of meh.

Also 'you can spend <click> to break subroutines' is terrible wording. It should be "Host icebreaker gains '<click>: break ice subroutine'". The way it's written it implies you can spent one click to break an undefined number of subs during an encounter.

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 8, 2016

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

It seems pretty clear to me, perhaps more by omission than anything. For example, sticking Adjusted Matrix on Corroder:

Corroder gains AI as a subtype. Corroder then gains the equivalent of "1c: break ICE subroutine" but with clicks instead (substituting the specific wording "you may spend clicks..." as Click: Blah Blah doesn't work), which applies to any ICE subtype as the wording on the card does not specify a subtype nor does it reference the types listed on the card on which it is installed.

More simply put, Corroder becomes:

Program: Icebreaker - Fracter - AI
1c: Break one Barrier subroutine
1c: +1 strength
You may spend 1 Click to break 1 ICE (of any type) subroutine

All the normal rules apply for icebreakers interacting with ICE as the card specifies "during encounters with pieces of ICE".

Yeah, that's what I think they intended (from what Zorajit's saying it would probably need to say 'you may lose 1 Click to break 1 ICE subroutine', but otherwise checks out) and would mean that yes, you do need to boost the breaker to use the new ability it has...but it ain't what they wrote. I absolutely could be wrong about what they intended, but whatever it was, right now they've previewed a sloppy mess of a card.

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 8, 2016

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Huh, they changed Adjusted Matrix. It now reads 'Install Adjusted Matrix on an icebreaker. on Host icebreaker gains AI and <click>: break ice subroutine.'

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Destrado posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of flak for it because you can't use click paid abilities during runs (unless they change that, hello midrun Mopus), that's why Always Be Running is worded the way it is. They swapped a confusing wording for a technically non-functional one.

Yeah, I agree. I assume bioroids work because they allow you to spend clicks to break them, but it's not worded as a click ability and it's also not a runner card allowing the interaction, it's a corp one. They could have made Adjusted Matrix '0 credits: Lose <click> and break ice subroutine', and then it would have worked within the framework of the game.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

What's the typo? I can't see anything wrong with it

EDIT: Scooped! Sorry.

I think it's that the second sub is open-ended. It just says that 'the runner accesses one fewer cards'. So that's, what, for the rest of the game? I'd expect it should say 'until the end of the run'.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Terminal Directive runner spoilers: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/21/why-do-you-run/

Abagnale! A legit good decoder for Criminals. A quasi-Andy Shaper ID! And so on.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yep, says so in the article!

:: You might also like the new breaker suite that comes in Terminal Directive. Like ABAGNALE (Terminal Directive, 6), each of the three standard breakers that the expansion makes available to Steve Cambridge and the game's other Criminals comes with a built-in TRASH ability. For example: "[TRASH]: Bypass a piece of code gate ice currently being encountered, even if it has strength greater than Abagnale."

I'm expecting the other two breakers to be 'Ponzi' and...someone else. 'Lustig', maybe?

Unless the key link is 'planes' instead of 'con artists', and we could have 'Wright' and 'Aerhart', or something similar. (The link is not going to be planes.)

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Yeah, I considered Cooper. He's not a con artist, so not entirely following if that is the intended theme, but I could see them using him. He's literally the first other criminal my mind went to from Abagnale because of the 'criminal plus plane' connection, so there's arguably a stronger mental link worth considering rather than saying 'Oh, he's no good because he's a different kind of criminal.'

• Locked thread