Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Stinson also ignores the extra click cost on Blue Level, right? Still, to use him on turn 1, you can't install ice, and at any point later in the game, how do you plan on making the runner that poor?

He might be a way to bounce back if the runner is slightly richer than you, and you force him into a must-pay trace like Midseasons, but I don't really see a way for Weyland to make the runner poor without spending a ton of influence on more NBN stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
On your turn, all your effects during a window happen first, and you choose the order. If you have already spent a click installing Hades Shard, you can use it before the corp gets to use Jackson.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's a bad card.

It costs 3 to play, runners are rich and are playing Sports Hopper against Weyland for extra link. If it sees any semi-successful play at all, it's going to be in a janky Making News deck, which can boost the trace and also runs Closed Accounts to keep the runner poor, not in Weyland.

I'm fully prepared to eat my words, but I don't see that happening.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 8, 2016

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

It costs 9. You can't break subs unless the icebreaker meets or exceeds the strength of the ice, so the first 3 credits are only good for pumping strength.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. Otherwise, it would also cost Paperclip 11 credits to break Curtain Wall, 5 to break Eli, etc.

Edit: Welp, didn't remember the wording on Paperclip.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 12, 2016

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I like Top Hat. It gives Shapers a way to exploit an open R&D similar to Medium, and at 0 cost and non-unique, it also fuels Aesop's and Technical Writer and other Shaper bullshit. It also works nicely with a fresh Medium, though that's probably overkill for either faction. See 5th card, gain a counter, see 4th card, gain a counter, run again and see top three.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
RSVP didn't see play back in the day because all it takes for Yog to got through is a single sucker token. As for today, there's been a lot of power creep in the rez cost/tax ratio, especially for NBN. 1 credit more gets you Archangel, 2 credits more Little Engine.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
If you're playing and deckbuilding with friends who don't own the game, that should be a decent selection of cards to play with.

If you want to play Netrunner competitively, not really. Most competitive decks have some key cards in them from datapacks, without which the whole archetype can't function. You need 3/2 agendas for Fast Advance, you need protective upgrades like Caprice or Ash for Glacier decks, etc. Also, I'm not quite sure what kind of meat damage protection runners have with just your selection. I've Had Worse, Crash Space, Heartbeat. Anything else?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I've played Apex a bit recently with an Out of the Ashes / Exclusive Party build and he's fun, but it's really obvious he only exists to give Apocalypse some flavor, and you're much better off playing Apocalypse in Shaper or Anarch than trying to make him work. There's so many cards that counter Endless Hunger that I think you're better off with Ddos, Blackmail and similar cards to get your three central accesses.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Ive always found it funny apex is a Weyland hard counter

Advance Ice Wall 11 times :colbert:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
My mistake for the ambiguous wording. I meant you might be better off importing cards like DDoS and ways to make Blackmail work into Apex than trying to figure out how to supplement Endless Hunger best. That Apocalypse works better in Shaper or Anarch is a different point.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 15, 2016

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Baba Yaga is a fun card. It makes me wish this game was still about ice and ice breakers.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Bad templating aside, Adjusted Matrix looks like a card designed for Endless Hunger + E3.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Switch the Project Wotans for PriReqs. It's not exactly an economic boost you can count on, but there's enough big ice in the deck for PriReq to be useful if you manage to score it.

Edit: On the runner side, the MU situation looks iffy; you're running Paintbrush and Magnum Opus, and you only have the three Omni-drives, which don't give you real MU; if you want to use MO or Paintbrush, you have to install the Omni-drives before your breakers, or waste Scavenge to reinstall on top of them, which runs counter to Kit's early aggro game plan. Consider Leprechauns or plain old MemChips. Also, I don't think you want both ProCo and Magnum, but if you do play ProCo, you generally want all three of them, to find them early reliably.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 9, 2016

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

bazomatic posted:

I really need to replace the drat omni drive. It's neat if I get it out early against someone who I need to throw a ton of chameleons at, but they're two slots better used, I know it. False Echo is tempting just for the added gently caress-you to a corp of them taking ICE back in hand.

Scheherazade if you have the influence, Sahasrara if you have the MU, MacroDrive if you have neither? MacroDrive looks like a straight upgrade to OmniDrive if your deck plan is to repeatedly install Chameleons.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 13, 2016

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The new Criminal runner from the upcoming deluxe Expansion has been spoiled - on the first successful run on HQ, you may choose two cards in your heap. The corp picks one that's removed from the game, the other one goes into your grip. Neat way to give Criminals some recursion.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/scottawesome1

Seems real enough to me.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
SIFR really wants to make me build a corp deck that goes all-in on corporate troubleshooter recursion.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Pinpointing the 'best-balanced' time of Netrunner is pretty tricky. NEH happened before Anarch ever got really viable, maybe excepting the Anatomy Siphon variant. Jinteki went from being an afterthought to really obnoxious (RP Glacier) very quickly. Order and Chaos did more for NBN Kill than for Weyland itself. The rise of Anarch and the decline of Criminal coincided over a number of packs.

I'd say it's either the end of Lunar, where Noise was having success and other good Anarch decks could have been built thanks to D4v1d and Inject, or early in SanSan; The Valley gave us Clot, eabling at least two runner factions to rein in Fast Advance, but you could also draw the line at Breaker Bay or Chrome City, though Criminals lost more ground while Anarch became even better with those two.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
robotsinmyhead, you could set up some basic core set games with friendly goons on jinteki.net, have them play the runner, and talk you through their decisions each turn.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Zephro posted:

I dunno. The political assets are badly tuned (ie they're too powerful) but that's not the same as being badly designed. The idea of an asset you don't want to ice doesn't seem un-fun, or like it removes decisions or removes a key part of the game.

Well, the de facto distinction between competitively playable assets has always been those you throw into a fresh remote, and those that temporarily go into your scoring remote. Which makes the 'drawback' of political assets pretty laughable. DBS is a well-designed card. Sensie is not.

Building a second ice-protected remote has never been very practical, and is only really used with assets that help glacier up the scoring remote, like IT Department or Sandburg. And since you need a bunch of more ice than usual in your deck for that, those decks can't be asset spam decks. Ok, there are a few exceptions, and those I do consider 'good' Netrunner, like protecting your Sundews in RP.

But the crux has always been, if you focus your deck on assets, that lowers your ice count, which means you can't protect these assets with ice. It took a while for the designers to really understand that problem, which is why a bunch of early designed assets had laughable rez/trash costs. Lunar and SanSan had a slow increase of playable assets which was fine and made asset strategies get interesting, but then Mumbad went way off the rails.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Arkham Horror LCG is real, real good (and they managed to do it with just their 4th loving try at a Call of Cthulhu board/card game! :cthulhu: )

Call of Cthulhu CCG 2004
Arkham Horror 2005
Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game 2008
Elder Sign 2011
Mansions of Madness 2011
Eldritch Horror 2013
Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition 2016
Arkham Horror: The Card Game 2016

Time to get pumped for Netrunner 8.0 I guess.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I passed on the Flashpoint and Red Sand cycles so far, but I did pick up TD. Still haven't played it, though.

What's the best way to do so? Just TD and a single Core Set?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's part of the new Weyland never install meta.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Prepaid Kate had a pretty good run from Lunar to late SanSan, no?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Andy was utterly dominating for a long time and only started to lose some steam when Lotus Field made Yog non-viable as your only code gate solution. Crim only fell behind when they couldn't utilize Clot. Anarch lacked the basic card draw/tutoring to make use of all their power cards until IHW, but then they took off like a rocket during SanSan. PPK was probably the strongest after Clot, before Faust and pre-errata Pavilion.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 13, 2017

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm fairly certain they were the worst runner faction before C&C, but I didn't play that early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Static Equilibrium posted:

I have faith that siphon will get reprinted. Perhaps in a form where it costs a credit to play, and you're forced to clear the tags immediately.

"You can only play this card if you don't have any tags."

• Locked thread