Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Really, I don't think that buying three core sets is even the biggest wall. People point to it a lot since it's the most obvious, but I think the datapacks are a much bigger offender. Ironically, their non-random element was their downfall: since FFG can rely on players having easy access to any given card, they can design silver bullets easily with knowledge that those cards will be available to everyone. Unfortunately, they relied way too heavily on this, so now every other datapack has a mandatory silver bullet for any given deck to function. Games with random card pools can't rely on players having free access to everything, so they don't design silver bullets as easily. FFG going whole hog on silver bullets means that to make a functional deck you need to buy multiple data packs (and maybe some big boxes) in order to have a deck and not need to worry about getting exploded / FA'd / tagstormed / SIFR'd / Agenda Flooded / R&D locked / etc. The fact you need to do this for both Corp and runner just exacerbates the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Idk, I wasn't making competitive decks or anything but I could make a decent mtg deck to play with friends for like 30 bucks. I think my first netrunner deck that I actually wanted to make needed like 2-4 datapacks, and the core set. To be fair I guess I could make a bunch of other decks with those datapacks, whereas the cards I bought for mtg were pretty restrictive outside their decks.

I think that netrunner just has a different deck building philosophy. Buy a couple datapacks with cards that're useful, build something, figure out what cards would be useful, buy those datapacks, etc. Compared to magic where you just design a deck and buy those very specific cards.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I know I like when streamers talk out their thought processes and such like that. Educational for the newer viewers, and the more experienced viewers might be able to provide feedback and help you improve. Might also help you realize a strategy / choice of move isn’t as strong as you initially think it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
poo poo, I keep up with all the new cards and I'm baffled 90% of the time someone mentions a deck archetype. Why the poo poo do netrunner deck names never actually portray what the deck actually does?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Slio posted:

That's absolutely dreadful in multiple ways. Not only is that completely not what the card says, now it changes the card from "Spend my turn to trash your stuff" into "Spend my turn to Trash All My ICE".

Don't forget getting any and all upgrades and agendas trashed. It can basically be a board reset, honestly. Except runners have way way more ways to bring poo poo back from the trash than the corp does, soooo...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Yithian posted:

If only there were some way to catch these kinds of errors before the cards were printed.

:effort:

But I mean, in the FAQ they could have just said "no, players can only trash their own cards" and left it at that. It still wouldn't be an amazing card, but then at least you're guaranteeing either the runner trashes something or you get 5c (after having spent 2c and 3 clicks...) which you could then sacrifice later. The fact that they explicitly say "yes, the runner can trash your stuff" makes me believe it's intentional. I dunno what weirdo strategy they have in mind for that kind of thing but this just seems...baffling.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Oh hey new cards

https://imgur.com/a/gmP5q

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I was wondering why we haven't seen any new cards in a while. Didn't realize all of red sands had even released. Any particularly good cards in the last datapack?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
On the other hand, it feels weird that they would hire on a new lead designer without a plan for the future. Unless they dropping support as a last-minute decision, it would just make more sense to have not hired a new lead - all the cards currently out were probably finished being designed months, if not years before the change up.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Netrunner is dead, long live Netrunner.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I know FFG doesn't want to errata cards in ways you need to remember while playing, but making siphon remove from the game instead of going to trash would make it probably perfect. Keeps the interesting gameplay without the degenerate siphon spam.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So what console will crims even use now? Logos? Box-E? Polyhistor now that Jackson is dead?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Poor Gabe, got nerfed to only have three fingers instead of five.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I think you're meant to deal meat damage in little chip-damage amounts, and snipe cards the runner needs later and/or force them to hold back cards they need to protect them. CS2 Weyland plays almost like a rigshooter deck.

With Ronin and Junebug, it looks like Net damage is supposed to be the "big gulps of damage" flatline threat.

From the last page, but I wonder if they're just trying to have damage in general be chip instead of big burst. It's more manageable and interactive to have to deal with lots of small damage over time because you need to constantly manage it and worry about it. It also has a better chance of avoiding the problem new players run into of "Oh, you only have 4 cards in your hand and fewer credits than I do? I win then" after not taking any damage the whole game. If a player is constantly getting pegged with small amounts of damage, then even new players will understand that having a small hand is dangerous, and then they get the interesting decision of trying to balance game tempo with risking a flatline.

Of course, they recently printed BOOM, so who the hell knows.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hannibal Rex posted:

Prepaid Kate had a pretty good run from Lunar to late SanSan, no?

Prepaid Kate was basically The Best Runner until the MWL hit and really kneecapped her, if I remember right. Andromeda was the only other one that came close.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
At some point in Anarch's dominance, Criminal kind of slipped into garbage territory for a while, too. I think around SanSan/Mumbad? They eventually scraped their way back, but there was almost never any reason to play Crim, since Anarch could pressure economy harder without needing to import all their breakers + R&D pressure.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Part of me is okay with stuff being OP and then banned, because then it gives strong card options for players that aren’t very good at the game to get a leg up when playing casually with friends, but then doesn’t negatively impact the competitive / serious players.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Huh I'm surprised at Salvaged Vanadis Armory being straight-up banned. I guess because if you pop it after a Boom it could insta-win you the game? Is there some super strong combo that uses it that I'm not familiar with? It doesn't have any reviews on netrunnerdb so it doesn't seem like it's particularly popular.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Yithian posted:

It enabled a deck that could mill around 43 cards from R&D in a single turn by around turn 6.

Edit:

Take the corp's deck and throw it into the trash

Hahaha this owns, and makes sense why the card is banned.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Thinking about Corp, I’ve been wondering if some specific resource denial stuff like Spark, Chronos Protocol, Argus, etc could be really strong right now? Runners lost a SHITLOAD of economy cards, so maybe now is the right time to pressure that.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
is Harishchandra Ent worth playing now?

Also what the gently caress is Haarpsichord going to do now that they can go all tag-n-bag?

e: Run Salem cards in Chronos Protocol and just target all the poo poo the runner needs to function?

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 19, 2017

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The common consensus I've always heard is that it likes tag storming, but doesn't have any built-in tools to help make tagging easier or to further punish tagging once it happens. You know exactly what the runner can do, but that doesn't mean you can necessarily stop them from doing it in any meaningful way without extra help (and thus, card slots).

The main times it would be useful would be:
-Early on, before they have a full breaker suite installed, so you know what ice they can't get through. Tagging is hard at this point in the game though.
-You can see they don't have the economy to get through a scoring server, so you KNOW you have a scoring window.

Of course, both of these are vulnerable to the runner just drawing what they need on their turn, and also both rely on you having an agenda and the ice needed to exploit those vulnerabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Counterpoint: buy 1 (revised) core, and then play the game and see if you a) like it b) want to make a deck that needs multiple core sets and c) want to take that deck to tournaments. You can honestly skirt by on just a single core set, especially if you're just playing casually with friends - nobody will care if you proxy multiple core set cards unless you're actively going to a tournament.

• Locked thread