Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Dumb question: If Baba Yaga is hosted on Leprechaun, and other icebreakers are hosted on Baba Yaga, is everything free? (MU-wise)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

What they intended would probably require some stupid wording and nested quotation marks.

Adjusted Matrix posted:

Install Adjusted Matrix on an icebreaker. Host icebreaker gains AI and "When you encounter a piece of ice, it gains, 'The Runner may spend [click] to break any subroutine on this ice.'"

This would at least mostly follow the template on bioroid ice. But instead they went with the worst possible ambiguity of something that might break any number of subroutines for one click and might still need to be pumped.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Meanwhile, who's going to be the first one to build the janky "score Government Takeover from hand" deck that gets 9 advancement counters on various ice, then Subcontracts a Lateral Growth (installing Takeover) and Red Planet Couriers?

Maybe it'll be a new take on Hot Tub Time Machine, with the ice and RPC instead of Mumbad Construction Co.?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

berenzen posted:

I can't wait to leela patel bounce a 9-advanced card to hand just to laugh at people's hubris.

RPC, if I read it correctly, moves all advancement tokens onto the one card. So you can spread out the 9 advancements onto, say, 3 different space ice, or 3 copies of Masolaus, or whatever.

A still-janky but less wombo-combo use might be to play in Blue Sun, advance space ice to rez for a discount/free, FA a 5/3 or something with RPC, then bounce the now-unadvanced space ice for full value.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Anson Rose might have a place in a dumb RPC combo by generating free advancement counters.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

NEW ANGELES REVIEW!

I'd be willing to give this game a shot if someone else bought it, but it doesn't sound super appealing.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Machai posted:

Are store championships considered premier events for the 11-day after release restriction on cards? I would like to use some Martial Law cards on the 17th but I cant find where it defines what tier a store championship is.

Generally no but I'd ask the tournament organizer if you can, just to be sure.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

We need more cards that reward the corp for having bad pub. Maybe a Weyland asset:

Project MDK
0 rez, 0 trash, 2 influence
Asset - Ambush
If Project MDK is accessed from R&D, the Runner must reveal it.
If you pay 4 when the Runner accesses Project MDK, do 1 meat damage for each bad publicity you have, then take 1 bad publicity. Ignore this effect if the Runner accesses Project MDK from Archives.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Annual Prophet posted:

Played my first few games over the holiday with a new core set. We're really enjoying it so far, mostly experimenting with unmodified criminal and HB core decks.

We haven't used the decks suggested in the OP, but that's on our list. More broadly, though, I can already tell I'm going to want to tinker endlessly with all of the corp and runner decks, but there is a daunting number of expansions and data packs, and it's hard to know where to begin. Are there any go-to packs / sets or a sequence to follow? Not looking to compete or anything, just want to build some fun / stronger sets for my group, which is mostly family.

I'd say to just grab the big box expansions for the factions you're interested in; if you're still interested in Criminal and HB after trying the decks in the OP, Honor and Profit has Criminal (and Jinteki) and Creation and Control has HB (and Shaper).

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Jimmy Hats posted:

If I want to play netrunner with you dorks but only have experience with the base set will I be poo poo on forever?

Define "poo poo on".

We won't make fun of you, but you'll have some learning to do before you start to win consistently.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Time to make a CTM deck with no ice.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

There are definitely worse Weyland IDs, and it's 40/15.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I wish Merchant's HQ trash was random instead of Corp-chosen. Also my new goal in life is to install the Mercs off a Street Peddler right after getting Midseasoned.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

OK thread. What deck do I take to Store Champs tomorrow. I got my corp deck on lock, just looking for the runner deck. Eddie No-Friends is cool, but Aaron Maron (involved in the Erma Lurman-Murman Murders) based Crim sounds good too. What say you?

If you figure out a good runner deck, let me know. I need SOMETHING to go with my RP Prison.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

berenzen posted:

Mad dash will be interesting in dyper/Cams.

How is Mad Dash not just a straight upgrade over Freedom Through Equality in those decks plus any shaper running Indexing?

EDIT:

berenzen posted:

Bio-modeled network is probably the best counter to the jinteki agenda aside from film critic

Does it work against that agenda? The agenda has the net damage as an additional cost to steal, and it was my understanding that you can't prevent costs and get the effect (such as using SacCon to prevent an SMC from being trashed).

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 18, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

What's the typo? I can't see anything wrong with it

The second subroutine doesn't say "for the remainder of the run" or anything like that. Each time the trace succeeds, the runner accesses 1 fewer card forever.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Here's a bunch of questions while I'm at it:

- Conceptually I like NBN a lot but they seem to not get much play. Is it dumb to use them anyway for friendly matches?
- How do you handle having multiple Corp or Runner decks? For shared cards the best thing I can think of is just to have them ready to switch between decks.
- Do Runners even bother with icebreakers? It seemed like most of the time my icebreakers were not doing much for me on board. Isn't it way more powerful to use various tricks to get around ice or trash it?
- Is it just me, or does your economy demand way more attention in Netrunner than in Magic? It seems like not worrying about income can be devastating in this game, especially because a lot of helpers like Sure Gamble cost money themselves.
- What, uh, do I do as Corp? It seems like I can never protect all my servers adequately or contain the damage from successful runs. If I don't have a trap or bluffing sort of deck, how (in general) can I keep assets, score agendas, and defend my poo poo?

e: the last might be due to the fact I played HB with a lot of big ice; cheaper stuff might be easier to play with.

-NBN's core set ID is pretty weak but yellow is easily the strongest corp. Go nuts.
-Switching cards back and forth is common, but for friendly games most people won't mind if you use proxies.
-Very few Runner decks run literally no icebreakers, but ice destruction is rampant these days exactly because it's so powerful and easier than ever.
-Economy is massively important in Netrunner. Knowing how many credits you and your opponent have is important, and knowing what your opponent can do with the credits they have is incredibly important. As the Corp, if the Runner ends their turn broke, you probably have a decent window to try scoring an agenda (if you're not broke yourself). As the Runner, knowing what sort of ice the Corp can rez is a major influence on if and where you should run.
-What to do as Corp is a big concern lately, but there are four basic strategies:
1. Glacier - use defensive upgrades like Caprice Nisei, Marcus Batty, Ash, and/or Off the Grid to keep the Runner out while you score. Suffers heavily under Rumor Mill, and isn't very effective if the Runner can make repeated runs cheaply.
2. Fast Advance - use cards like Biotic Labor and SanSan City Grid to score agendas within a single turn.
3. Shell Game - Use a variety of traps, assets, and agendas to keep the Runner guessing about whether the card you just installed is something they want to run on or not. Relies more on luck than the other strategies.
4. Tag Punishment - Land tags on the Runner and then either kill them with meat damage or get points with Exchange of Information.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Levy Advanced Research Lab reminded me of classic Netrunner. There were three different resources, each letting you spend a click to reveal the top 4 or 5 cards of your stack and add any programs, hardware, or resources (depending on which resource you were using) for 1 credit apiece, and reshuffle the rest back into the stack. The one for programs was called Aujourd'Oui.

While looking that up, I came across Precision Bribery, which may be exactly what runners need to shut down asset spam decks. Something these days might be like...
The Red File
Resource - Unique
0 to install, neutral, 1 influence
The Corp cannot create new servers.
The Corp gains, "4, click: Remove The Red File from the game."

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Then again, Build Script might be the worst card I've ever seen. Neutral, 1 influence, and is effectively a pre-selected Deuces Wild with only the two least interesting modes picked for you. In no universe would you play it over DW, unless for some ungodly reason you wanted to run it as a 6-of.

Original Netrunner had, in addition to the equivalents of Diesel and Easy Mark, cards that gave 2 credits and a card, and two cards and a credit. Why they thought this would be worth influence, I have no idea.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Localized Product Line + Hasty Relocation + Accelerated Diagnostics? Saves a Biotic for triggering double politicals.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I don't care I just want Skorpios in my hands.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Wow, look at all these traces that do things regardless of the success of the trace!

SYN Attack - Unless the runner chooses the effect, which doesn't seem to be the intent, I don't see a reason to play this card.

Demara - Hey look, it's GS Sherman but costs 1 extra to install and has a derez effect.

Savant - With glacier back, it's time to make a Sage/Savant deck and just break all the things.

LLDS Memory Diamond - It's half a Toolbox, and it'll go great in my Sage/Savant deck! Serious decks will probably stick with Rabbit Hole or Akamatsu.

Maxwell James - Might get slotted in Geist or other Crim decks that want link. As a 1-influence connection it might find its way into Off-Campus Sunny decks as well.

Biometric Spoofing - Useless against Thousand Cuts because it doesn't prevent up to 2 damage! Seriously though, it prevents any type of damage so it might see play, but it's not protection against tag'n'bag due to being a resource.

Elective Upgrade - I could see it being used post-rotation in glacier decks, but it's probably easier to just use Biotic Labor or Efficiency Committee (if you have SfSS) than score a 5/3.

Successful Field Test - An interesting effect but scoring the 4/2 might be an issue. Won't replace ABT.

Executive Functioning - Punishing trace but too easy to break. Could surprise a runner who facechecks with just a killer.

Holmegaard - Beefy, non-Bioroid (and therefore not clickable), don't know why the trash is limited to icebreakers. Because FFG forbid that it protect R&D from Keyhole (which bypasses the trace as well)?

Tapestry - Interesting on a central server, and beefy as well, but you'll probably wish it was a Fairchild instead. Could allow some amusing options for installs if it's in front of Architect.

Ultraviolet Clearance - The install means it might get played outside of CI, but you'll probably want a Jeeves up. For 3 clicks I'd like more money than just a Hedge Fund, though maybe they designed with ETF in mind.

Mason Bellamy - Ryon Knight's best friend. Probably more effective paired with Heinlein Grid though.

Armored Servers - A defensive effect for Weyland? Say it ain't so! I just wish it wasn't a 4/2, though I guess they wanted something comparable to Nisei Mk II. Nisei can't be bruteforced by a runner on match point, though.

Illicit Sales - Love the art, but won't see play. I'd actually rather see this as a 2/0 to be honest. 2/1 is too strong, 3/1 is too hard to score for the effect. 2/0 gives it the downside of the bad pub, the upside of money, and something to feed Jemison or Archer.

Graft - What is the point of this? Okay, so I just scored a 5/3, what am I going to tutor for? More agendas? I just spent a ton of credits scoring a 5/3, I can't protect them. Kill package? Maybe, but why am I scoring 5/3s if I'm on kill?

Illegal Arms Factory - I can absolutely see this getting a place in a deck like Friends in Dead Spaces, but not much else.

Long-Term Investment - I actually really like this card. Since you're not paying for the credits you put on, in either cash or clicks, it forces the runner to either trash it for 4 or give you money. Either way you're ahead in tempo.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

It's like the NR thread got its own McMagic

At least it got people posting, this thread has been dead for too long.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

A friend of mine and I are going to play TD soon, but I have to wait from him to get back from Star Wars Worlds where he's playing I think every game. Maybe not Armada.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AgentF posted:

Heap order matters because the rulebook said so way back at Netrunner's release. It specified that Heap order matters and Archives order doesn't and I wondered what this difference might be planned for.

Heap order mattering - before the draft ID was printed - was almost certainly a holdover from Classic Netrunner. There were several runner cards that cared about heap order in that game, most common of which was Junkyard BBS, a resource that let you put the top card of your heap into your grip for a click and a credit.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Zephro posted:

I'm saying it would be nice if there were a middle way between spamming tons on unprotected assets and having a deck designed to have one or zero remotes. One reason there isn't is that the opportunity cost of iceing remotes is enormous. "Better ICE" doesn't fix that problem, because it would still be better to just use it on centrals. "Stronger assets" doesn't fix that problem because it just encourages asset-spam (and assets are already really really good). "Remote-focused ICE" seems like a profitable avenue to explore.

I don't think Turing is a good example, though. It's ICE that's stronger on a remote, sure, but that just means it makes your one-single-remote strategy better. You need ICE explicitly designed to support more than one remote.

It may be you can't do it and one-remote-or-spam is just inherent in Netrunners design, but it would be a shame not to try.

edit: I guess the other route is things like RecStudio or Worlds Plaza but neither of those see any play

Not to harp on Clasic Netrunner again, but maybe the solution is to import another card from there. After all, Chiyashi is a recent version of an old piece of ICE. Maybe something for Weyland:

Lightning Wall
ICE: Barrier
0 rez, 5 strength, 3 influence

As an additional cost to rez Lightning Wall, the Corp must forfeit an agenda.
1: Move this piece of ice to the outermost position protecting any other server. Use this ability only at the start of a run.
-> End the run
-> End the run

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

If you took away the forfeit, it would become godlike. Drop it turn 1, then shuttle it to whatever server they poke/drop Temujin on. It would be fuckoff annoying and crush a lot of runner plans that are built around the conceit of "the corp can't ice all three servers turn 1 and pay for it"

The other alternative is clunky but works with Weyland's advanceable ICE (at least, it's no worse than other advanceable ICE):

"As an additional cost to rez Lightning Wall, remove three advancement counters from it."

3 counters means it can't be rezzed turn 1, and no Dedication Ceremony/Anson Rose shenanigans either. I still think a forfeit is more balanced but it's a possibility.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Machai posted:

Boy, tagging the runner with no interaction other than having more money. That won't be slightly OP

I wonder if they realize that, by using the same formatting as Taurus/Gemini/Sagittarius/Virgo, Threat Level Alpha gives a tag if the runner has no tags regardless of the success of the trace.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Stupid Earth's Scion came out and now I just want to make a deck that combos Subliminal, Bioroid Work Crew, and Red Planet Couriers to FA a Government Takeover.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Welp, I'm going to Regionals this Saturday. Do I pack my own runner or should I expect all the HB asset spam and go Whiz/Slums/Archives/Hacktivist/Maw?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I don't know if I can justify the slots to run all 3, but I have room for 2.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Well here's the list, what can go in favor of a third Hacktivist?

Also, how does Maw interact with Slums? Slums has been ruled to not be trashing the card (e.g. no Hostile Infrastructure damage) so does Slumming an asset trigger Maw?

Friendship Ended

Whizzard: Master Gamer (What Lies Ahead)

Event (16)
2x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Hacktivist Meeting (Breaker Bay)
3x I've Had Worse (Order and Chaos)
3x Inject (Up and Over)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (3)
1x Archives Interface (Order and Chaos)
2x Maw (Daedalus Complex)

Resource (13)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)
1x Film Critic (Old Hollywood)
1x Ice Carver (Core Set)
1x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)
1x Salsette Slums (Salsette Island)
3x Temüjin Contract (Blood Money) ★★★●●●●● ●

Icebreaker (6)
1x Mimic (Core Set)
1x MKUltra (Martial Law)
2x Paperclip (Blood Money)
2x Yog.0 (Core Set) ★★

Program (7)
2x Datasucker (Core Set)
2x Medium (Core Set)
3x Parasite (Core Set) ★★★
15 influence spent (max 15, available 0)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Daedalus Complex

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

sonatinas posted:

Ufaq seems to differ on that

If the Runner uses Salsette Slums to remove a trashed card from the game, does Maw trigger?

No, Maw does not trigger. In order to use Salsette Slums, the Runner must trash the accessed card.

So did this reverse the previous ruling with regard to Slums and Hostile Infrastructure?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

So it's like 13 hours before SoCal Regional and I am having second thoughts about even going. I have that barely-tested Whizzard deck since I expect all of the asset spam (and even if Timmy Wong doesn't show since he won NorCal, the rest of that King of Servers team is probably going to show up with some version of Mooninites), and I have my RP Prison deck that, hey, as long as everyone is teching against Mooninites they'll be teched against RP Prison automatically!

Maybe I should just say gently caress it and wait for L5R to come out.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I ended up going to the Regional. It's on lunch break right now, so far I've swept once and split once.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Pair-a-dice in Vista, CA. Of course in the games after lunch I got swept hard, with Timmy Wong personally delivering the finishing blow.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

AgentF posted:

Is it safe? People are saying that Moon is going so fast that not even Whizzard can keep up. The top Moon deck is running like 3 barriers, 3 code gates and 3 sentries. Should I just give up on competing with the board state and go aggressive with early high-impact run events? Kit/Leela/Adam with Indexing?

Timmy Wong's Poutine deck also does (relatively) well against Mooninites. The corp draws through their deck really quickly so milling is definitely an option.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Well I just had to replace all four tires on my car over the weekend, so I find myself in a bad spot financially. Would anyone be interested in purchasing some alt-art cards? Drop me a PM or contact me at my username at gmail.

1x Chaos Theory
1x Swordsman
5x Mushin No Shin
5x Bank Job
1x Haley Kaplan
4x Political Operative
1x Leela Patel
1x PAD Campaign
3x Plascrete Carapace
2x Pop-up Window

For FFG plastic tokens, I've got:
2 sets of NBN click trackers
1 set of power counters

I've also got Silhouette and Enforcer 1.0 deck boxes and a Run Amok playmat I could sell if anyone's interested.

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 8, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Just want to point out I updated my list of what I'm selling on the last page, because I forgot I have FFG plastic tokens I can offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

It just sounds like they need to reboot the game with better designers.

I think that's what a lot of people are hoping L5R is.

• Locked thread