Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I have mixed feelings about being required to answer questions like that if the information is still technically hidden, but I suppose it does help alleviate some fatigue from playing in long tournaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
That was a really amazing write-up and actually had me on the edge of my seat. That sounds like it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Having ICE in the deck itself provides secondary and tertiary functions of questionable value: it dilutes your hand and deck to make running HQ and R&D hit "dead" cards with which the runner can't interact and so forces them to choose other options instead of hitting the jackpot every time, and opens up opportunities for bluffing with limited knowledge on either side of the equation, which makes the game more interactive.

I think there's some merit in always being able to threaten that one piece of ICE the runner saw in your hand or at the top of R&D since it forces the runner to play differently. Either they're going to take time to build a rig to counter that ICE that might not even be laid out in front of a server, or they may get too cautious around whatever server in which you just installed ICE and let you sneak something through.

This is somewhat unrelated but sort of ties into the idea of "dead" cards: I think the game's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness: hidden information. It provides a huge amount of variance in each game that can be controlled and mitigated to a certain extent, but when you consider that accessing HQ is always a random chance that is almost impossible to mitigate (there might be two agendas in a five-card hand, but a full turn of Legworks can still get you nothing with bad luck), that hidden information becomes more of a hindrance to gameplay than an enhancement.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
What exactly is the 23 seconds incident? And Whizzard is dead in whatever storyline there is?

I'm moderately interested in Android/Netrunner lore, but only started following the game in the last two months or so.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Neat, thanks guys! Those were really concise and informative explanations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Congrats on getting 4th! Glad to hear that deck worked out for you, it was really fun to play against while you were tweaking it last-minute.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I can see how it could be miserable for some, but I thought it was one of the more interesting and interactive decks that I've played against.

I think horizontal mind games, when played certain ways, can be more fun and Netrunnery than your typical fast advance or quick-kill decks that don't offer much in the way of interaction. Playing against your deck was like trying to solve a puzzle while also trying to determine how you would build/lay out that puzzle. It was a weirdly laid back game considering you were trying to kill me slowly.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

pointsofdata posted:

Do you think that a supplementary product where you bought a pack and got some number of random full art/shiny cards would be good or bad for the game?

They sort of did that already--the 2015 World Champ premade decks are all full-art. They're only random in the context of this game, in that the cards are from a bunch of different packs.

They're all the same premade decks, though. I dig that model, but yeah, blind packs are dumb. "Collectible" or "random" are two words that kill any interest I have in a game.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
It seems pretty clear to me, perhaps more by omission than anything. For example, sticking Adjusted Matrix on Corroder:

Corroder gains AI as a subtype. Corroder then gains the equivalent of "1c: break ICE subroutine" but with clicks instead (substituting the specific wording "you may spend clicks..." as Click: Blah Blah doesn't work), which applies to any ICE subtype as the wording on the card does not specify a subtype nor does it reference the types listed on the card on which it is installed.

More simply put, Corroder becomes:

Program: Icebreaker - Fracter - AI
1c: Break one Barrier subroutine
1c: +1 strength
You may spend 1 Click to break 1 ICE (of any type) subroutine

All the normal rules apply for icebreakers interacting with ICE as the card specifies "during encounters with pieces of ICE".

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 8, 2016

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The one part that is absolutely clear from the wording on Adjusted Matrix is that the icebreaker card to which it's attached gains the wording, "during encounters with pieces of ICE." Given the rules we have about icebreakers interacting with ICE during an encounter, the icebreaker still must match the strength of the ICE being encountered in order to interact with it, whether through spending credits or clicks.

The rest of it probably does need to be clarified.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I think their [Click] symbol is suffering from a sheep/sheep singular/plural issue here. "You may spend Clicks to break subroutines" still wouldn't be perfect but is probably the intention here.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
You have a lot of silver bullets in your deck. I would get rid of all of the damage prevention and sub in Same Old Things (useful for more FAO and your other events) and a Levy AR instead, for a start.

I've been running a similar deck with moderate success. It's at least fun if nothing else!

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/823669

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/39511/surfing-kit

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 12, 2016

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Try this one, then: https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/39511/surfing-kit

I'd rather run some sort of tag removal if I can fit it in there, rather than damage mitigation. Deuce's Wild can help a bit with that, but the deck isn't perfect.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
That's one of the weaknesses of the deck, honestly. But I haven't found it to be much of a handicap as long as I'm careful about when I'm accessing.

Professional Contacts probably does more work in the deck than anything. It cycles me through the deck to get to the important econ cards (if I haven't already) while acting as an econ card itself, and sets me up for a better Levy about mid- to late-game.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
That has to be a translation error on someone's part.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I could see it being reduce hand size TO 1 rather than BY 1 but who knows?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Red-orange. :colbert:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or a genuine feeling. :v:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'm impatiently waiting for reviews of Terminal Directive, because if its decent and core+TD provides a nice limited environment it might be the last Netrunner purchase I make.

For what it's worth, here's one.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I really think the answers to a lot of FFG's competitive LCG problems are:

A) An aggressive rotation schedule i.e. Core Set + latest two cycles + latest two deluxe boxes

B) Support and card design for differing formats i.e. Standard rotation (see above), Legacy (all cards ever), maybe some kind of Limited format (in their latest podcast, Team Covenant suggested draft packs with a few all-art cards in them to add some incentive to buy cards you already have playsets of from regular packs)

C) Official support for the above formats in tournament and game night settings with an actual judge program

Rotation is what makes or breaks Magic, for instance. Right now, Standard is in a bad place because Wizards hosed with the rotation schedule, so cards that were supposed to rotate out by now are still in Standard. Cards that are coming into rotation were designed years ago with the knowledge that certain cards and card effects would have rotated out already. Since they altered the schedule, some cards have been around way too long and people are bored with them, and cards that would have been at a reasonable power level without the oldest set are borderline broken because it's still around.

Really, though, since all cards are designed months/years in advance in both Magic and LCGs, the rotation probably needs to be determined from the outset. Netrunner taking almost two years to have a rotation after one was announced obviously meant that they had most of the cards for the next two years already in the pipeline, so they couldn't necessarily alter them to account for cards rotating out.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I would think no, because the Runner is not initiating the trash. Maw is written as the Corp initiating the trash, not the Runner, which is the necessary trigger on AR Enhanced Security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Tevery Best posted:

How to win at Netrunner top tips and tricks:

DON'T throw away the game-winning agenda into the Archives because you forgot you wanted to score it

DO snipe with Hokusai Grid the Apocalypse Steve Cambridge just pulled out of the heap by running your HQ

I'll add to this:

DON'T neglect to read an unrezzed Blacklist as you proceed to run its unprotected remote once a turn for ten turns to purposefully decline to trash it in order to trigger Maw, all the while dumping literally all of your conspiracy breakers in the heap for later, only to have the Corp finally draw into ICE and protect the Blacklist that they have now rezzed.

I still managed to win that game somehow, but I facepalmed so hard when it was finally rezzed I gave myself a headache.

• Locked thread