Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
So I've been playing for a while, but I'm not yet caught up on all the data packs, and I don't get to play as much as I like. Recently I've been playing with a friend when we get the chance, and we finally got to have a go with the Worlds Champion decks. They were lots of fun to play with and I feel like I managed to pilot them both with a reasonable amount of skill, so I guess that means I'm getting better at this game? Certainly for very casual play they worked well.

I have a couple of questions though - Architect lets you install any card that can be installed - So I could us it to put down ICE, an agenda, an asset or an upgrade? It says ignoring all install costs, so do I have to play it face up, or could I install it face down, and if i did would I then still have to pay the costs when I did rez it?

Also, if I am tagged as the runner, and the corp tries to trash a card that has a trash ability, can I trigger that ability (or does the corps trashing of it trigger it) - Basically, if he tries to trash my Hades Shard, (assuming I'm tagged and it's not protected with WNP or Fall Guy or something), can I trigger it at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Ok thanks.

CodfishCartographer posted:

To expand on this a little bit more, you have various windows of opportunity to use activated abilities, with the current player getting the first chance, then the other player, then back to the current player, until both players choose to not use abilities. Note that i said use, as in they fully activate and resolve, there is no response. Because of these windows, if you're tagged and want to use your Hades Shard, you have to use it before the Corp's first click. Or maybe the corp doesn't trash it on their first click, you could use it in between their first and second, etc. But as soon as the corp says they're going to pay to trash it, it's toast.

Ok thanks. This all makes sense and is as I expected. But in that case, if I use Fall Guy to prevent the trashing, does the opportunity then revert back to the corp before I get a chance to activate Hades?

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Can anyone recommend any good articles for an ok player who's looking to up their game? One of the problems I've got is that there are so many cards now that it's tough to know where to start with deck building other than just netdecking the top decks on NRDB. Which is fun but I'm often unsure how best to pilot those decks.

What I'm really looking for is a run down of some of the more popular archetype decks and how to pilot them. Also, some advice on some of the more basic card-combos and how and when to play them. For example, I know that I'm supposed to psychographics a project beal for many agenda points, but in reality I have very little luck actually getting to a point in a game where I can do that successfully.

I know how to play the game, but I want to get better and I want to know the basic plays. Any suggestions?

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Thanks for all the words guys. Those are some useful posts. I know the best thing is to just play games but I don't get to play as much as I'd like.

I play a lot with a friend who doesn't have the game, so yeah, decks that work well with each other are a good idea. I got the Worlds Champ decks, but we both know those decks pretty well now so games with those decks are kind of a slog as we both try to disrupt each other's play as much as possible.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Zephro posted:

You know about Jinteki.net, right? If you don't have opponents nearby then you can play on there instead for some variety, or even just spectate some games for an idea of how different decks work.

Yeah. I've tried jinteki a few times but I just can't get into it. I find it much harder to keep track of what's going on, and you either have to zoom in and scroll around to be able to see all the information or else be zoomed to far out. I find it really stressful and not much fun to play online. Not having physical cards in front of me makes it much harder for me to judge the state of the board, and I end up just playing my own deck a lot more, rather than trying to guage what my opponent is doing. Plus, I assume that I'm just being too slow and annoying and doing everything wrong and that I'm annoying my opponent /:

• Locked thread