Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Abram Jopp's (Creator of Dumblefork) has some good teaching decks for those who have all the datapack on his website. He also has a variety of other decks with why he went with specific cards. While he's not necessarily the best netrunner player, he's probably one of Netrunner's best deckbuilders.

https://stimhack.com has some really good articles that have helped me improve my game. Most recently this article got posted, which has a bunch of good tips on how to improve your game. Their forums are probably the preeminent place for metagame and deckbuilding discussions.

As for podcasts and videos I like Anr Blackhats and TeamWork Cast. Blackhats is interesting because they go through some of the popular decks on netrunnerdb with the creator and discuss specific card choices, then take the creator who copilots the deck with Dan Spinosa. The reason why I like them is because they explain why they're making the play they are.

Teamwork Cast on the other hand is literally just casting of tournament level play, which I still find very interesting. Their videos are behind by a couple weeks, but it lets you see players play at tournament level play, and they edit the videos quite well to make it easy to follow the turn.

Edit: Would people also be interesting in an online cube draft using the stimhack cube? If there's enough interest I'd start one up.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Not that I think you meant otherwise, but I would like to clarify that Abram is, if not in the top tier, at the very least a very good Netrunner player.

I can't speak for the others, but the Kit deck is legit. It installs Magnum Opus and then grinds up a depressingly large pile of money, and there's nothing you can do about it as corp. MOpus is really good on the whole right now, I think.

Oh I wasn't implying he is a terrible player. But I wouldn't quite compare him to Dan D'Argenio in terms of skill of play. I've seen him play and make mistakes. He's still a good player, but I wouldn't necessarily rank him up there in terms of the best netrunner players out there.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

A jinteki league sounds like fun. Count me in.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'd be down, especially with some kind of deck building rules. Maybe write some code to mockup card packs so that drafts or limited formats could be done in some way?

https://meteor.stimhack.com has some cube drafts available up to liberated mind.

Also BigBoy and a few others are doing an interesting draft of the full card pool that you can see here

berenzen fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 4, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Soon to be nine. Escalation releases in what? 2 weeks?

Edit: People are looking at lot at temujin, and for good reason. But good god does she do work in my Leela Deck

berenzen fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 4, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Then NEH took the supercharge to a whole new level with the ability to clicklessly draw by installing cards, with the threat of scorched earth as a back-up.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Honestly, the only thing that criminals need is some way to recur breakers, Paperclip is and once you have a mongoose or two up, you're safe. But losing gordian/Zu because you facechecked into a destroyer, then losing because your opponent manages to throw up a pair of codegates on a scoring remote is kinda annoying.

I mean, I win plenty with my Leela deck, but I've lost a couple times because I got my gordian blade killed by cobra or enforcing loyalty, and have no real way to get it back.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 14, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Static Equilibrium posted:

Maybe it's a good thing that the faction with the most tools to get into a server with zero breakers installed has the hardest time getting back their destroyed programs.

I don't disagree. Biggest trick is how to not make the game completely unwinnable if a runner can't get into any server.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

New HB card got spoiled today. Kinda meh, I think the decks that want to run it are going to be really short on influence, and you want to run 2-3 to make sure you have it when it matters.

Card details for reference
1 cost, 2 inf HB
Name a card, remove all copies of that card in the heap from the game.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Only time you really need to Levy as MaXx is if you lose your entire DLR rig, or you're playing vs. Kill. If you get your DLR set up early, then it doesn't matter, you can probably mill them out before they need to kill you. And at 2 influence, it's hard to slot in into Weyland, who needs HHN/Sea Source to enable kill, or NBN, who needs to slot influence for Boom or Scorched earth. Prisec is really easily telegraphed as well, so don't count on that for landing tags that stick.

I can maybe see it in Potential Unleashed, but I'd rather Dedication Ceremony, Sensies and GFI as my influence rather than the 2 influence for it. Chronos Protocol maybe, but that's not a competitive deck, and I don't think this card will be good enough for it.

If anything it'll see play in Custom Biotics, which can use it to kill off shaper bull. Maybe as a slot in HB to knock out rumour mills or clippy. It suffers really hard from 60th card syndrome.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The big issue is that sniping Levy is probably not a good play. The game plays so fast that a lot of decks never actually use levy, unless it's Cams, and Cams isn't fast enough for the speed that the game plays at, unless they get a really good start. The amount of times that I;ve seem levy

Like it's not a bad card, it's just alright in HB, and I'm having issue trying to come up with one card, let alone 3, to cut to put in for this card.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 18, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

New runner card is absolutely bonkers

quote:

Net Mercur (Unique)
3 Cost 3(?) inf
Resource- Virtual Stealth
The first time each run you spend a stealth credit place 1 credit on Net Mercur or Draw 1 card.

Use these credits for anything

berenzen fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 19, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The ANRPC SMC stream

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Shaper

E: it wouldn't be so bad if it was 1/turn. But at 1/run it'so completely bonkers

berenzen fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 18, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

ninjaiguana posted:

Yep, it's massive. It *is* unique, and is going to push even more runners into resource-heavy decks, which has its own issues. But it's still an immense card.

The biggest thing is the ability to draw up to 4 cards in mid game to accelerate to the late game.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 19, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Also clarifies the Salsette Slums + MVT + CtM stuff that's been a huge debate.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I have mixed feelings about being required to answer questions like that if the information is still technically hidden, but I suppose it does help alleviate some fatigue from playing in long tournaments.

Honestly, the game is worse off if it's based on "what server was that psychic field that I ran 20 minutes ago again? The one he just overwrote, or the one right beside it"

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Does NetRunner's floor rules include penalties for Unsportsmanlike Conduct? Doing something like in Magic with Morph creatures would be a certain Unsportsmanlike Major and possible DQ/No Prize for cheating.

It falls under illegal game-state, and is a game loss under tournament rules. But yes, there is unsportsmanlike conduct. Floor rules are here

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

NASX is a must trash. 3 PADs +this. Turn start 6 power counters. Hedge for 2 and 2 counters to 8, Hedge for 2 + 2 counters to 10, click and trash for 20 credits, net 24 credits in a turn.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Do note that it's only Transaction operations, so oh no, you get to use Hedge Fund a few more times. Whoop dee doo. You're using Hedge Fund, but you have to play Weyland. That's not even a fair trade.

Except it's a hedge fund for 0. Or a restructure for 0.

And he's an upgrade. Grndl, turn one hedge Stinson, Hedge for like 20 credits turn one

berenzen fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 20, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

sonatinas posted:

Escalation release date is Oct 6. Pack yo plascretes.

Means we might get full spoilers by the end of next week.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Honestly, I rarely see it actually played, but the fact that it exists in the meta has actually helped criminal quite a bit, even if they don't run it. It's a strong card, but you can manage quite a few different scoring windows in order to kill it if really needed. CI7 does not like it, particularly if you slap a clot out, but it's not the whole "sky is falling' that people were making it out to be. If your deck loses to a Rumour Mill being played, it'll probably lose to a councilman or a Pol-op as well. It's actually pretty easy to play around over all. But yes, jinteki glacier has basically gone away with it coming out.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The Deleter posted:

It's awful when it's out but currents are pretty flimsy, so it can be played around. The issue is that a) when it gets played, the runner is usually gonna exploit it to the full and will likely steal at least one agenda that turn and b) removal options are limited. Jinteki is kinda screwed because they have one current and rarely score from hand. Weyland can score Hostiles and have two kinda good currents. NBN are NBN. HB are boned.

E: Forgot about Clones Are Not People. That's highly specific though?

HB has biotic labor and can set up a decently taxing glacier.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

To be honest it's less that non-3/2s don't get played and more that bad agendas don't get played. Astro, ABT, and Atlas would be strong contenders even as 4/2s (especially if Atlas kept the math), Beale gets played since NBN is ridiculously good at scoring 3 pointers. Vitruvious is marginal but kinda decent and often Biotic'd. Braintrust being awful is a strong reason why Jinteki can't play FA or neveradvance.

That, and their in-faction fast advance is typically fairly limited. Like Medical Breakthrough sees play because it becomes a FA option. But Jinteki has been limited a lot more to kill with rumour mill.

The problem with 5/3s is that their abilities are never good enough to warrant a deckslot. The notable exceptions of GFI and TFP, but those are because they're self-protecting. GFI is basically a 2 pointer wrt the runner, and TFP requires you to win a psi game. But TFP rarely ever gets scored, because Jinteki is trying to score out other agendas, and those agendas are there specifically to reduce agenda density, and maybe if they get a chance they'll try to score it out.

3/1s have the exact opposite problem, they need to have an ability good enough that you want to increase your agenda density. So Chronos Project will see play to screw over Levy and paperclip, whereas self-destruct chips don't hamper your opponent nearly enough, even in cybernetics division. You'll play a 3/1 when it massively makes an upswing in your favour (rezzing a san-san for free with License Aquisition) or puts the opponent on tilt. it has the same cost to score as a 3/2, but only gives half the value towards winning.

A lot of 4/2s do see play however, so long as they have worthwhile ability. The biggest thing regarding them is that they have have to compete with 3/2s. The two ways you win are by killing the runner, or scoring out. With 4/2s you need to telegraph that 'this is an agenda' while with a 3/2 you can score them out of hand with San-San/Biotic Labour/Jeeves bullshit.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 24, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Zephro posted:

It'll definitely be a big change when the majority of the 3/2s rotate out next year. Never Advance and Fast Advance will both become much less attractive. NA'ing with 3/1s feels like a bad idea even if a bunch of strong 3/1s get printed.

Honestly, I think that the game needs 3/2s to work well. Runners are in such a strong state right now that the never advance game is probably the corp's best option, Corps need a defensive upgrade that works while rumour mill is up. 4/2s won't work, unless you manage to score them out fast enough. Otherwise they're too much of a tempo hit in order to actually be successful. Jeeves will probably be the way that HB answers it overall. Slam that in a slightly defended remote, then just try and rush as much as possible in order to try and win before the runner see their tricks. Still, scoring a 4/2 always feels like a really bad tempo hit.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

escalation spoilers dropped here

Peregrine doesn't seem too bad versus the current code gate meta. Better than Golden. Still not great though.

Houdini is probably best out of smoke, probably not as good in other shapers. But it's nice because of the ability to keep it's strength.

Black Orchestra is actually not too bad. Same thing as Peregrine, works decent for strength 0-4 code gates. But it still makes turing cost 6, DNA tracker cost 9. Not great, but that's fine considering that Anarchs are supposed to be bad at code gates. It's usable if you're looking to not use yog, but it's definitely not amazing.

Find the truth is the new adam directive. It's basically a pre-installed spy cam for adam, which is useful information. It does give away information about the runner's grip. Which can be a problem vs. NBN/decks that run salem

First responders basically completely puts the hammer in the coffin of IG49 and 24/7 Scorch/Scorch.

Fairchild 3 is a nasty piece of work. Supertax no matter how you swing it, probably the best card in the pack. Hellion beta test isn't great though with HB typically being unable to outmoney runners aside from anarch. Does hurt anarch pretty well though.

The NBN cards this time around aren't actually all that great I feel. Service outage taxes the runner 1 credit per turn? I'd rather have a tarmar or an ELP if I wanted a run tax. Alexa Belsky is a Special report (which isn't that great I feel), that has the potential to tax the runner. Plus it puts a huge tempo hit on the corp, because you now have to draw 5 cards back up. Maybe in an NBN deck that gets decent card draw.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 3, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Zephro posted:

Oops, good point.

Semi-related: has anyone had any luck with the new Jinteki ID? I want it to be good, but having watched a few games on Jinteki and played around a bit myself it seems worse than thousand-cuts PE in every way.

It's not great unfortunately. It has a lot of potential, but unless you can get 2 or 3 hostile infrastructures up to put them in a very painful catch-22, it's just not good enough to work. I'm going to keep playing with it, but I don't think it has the support it needs.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The draw, primarily, and it's more difficult to deal with. It's 4 credits to draw 2 cards vs. IG49. So even if they hit you down to 3 max hand size with Hiro, you can draw up to 3 or 4 when they hit you with bioethics and get out of ronin kill range. Guru davinder kills dies on each instance of net damage. Davinder also doesn't give you card advantage. If I have a hand full of junk, I might try and go hit that psychic field, then spend money to draw clicklessly cards that might be useful.

I don't think it's a broken card, but I do think that the card is incredibly powerful. Where guru davinder just prevents the damage, I can use First responders against kill as a draw engine, which can be dangerous.

Subcontract and Power Shutdown combos work by not allowing the runner a paid ability window. Problem with subcontract is that now you have another card that you have to assemble to get off your combo. And Power shutdown combos work far better in NBN when they have access to 24/7 news cycle.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 5, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

LordNat posted:

The thing I hate about making Corp decks is having to run ICE to not just get rushed but knowing they are more or less dead card slots. I always feel that if I have to play ICE after turn 3 or 4 I have already lost the game, all that seems to matter is getting up those early anti-rush ETR ICE turn 1 and then hope you never draw another ICE for the reset of the game. Only time this changes is if I am facing an ICE killer deck, but even then I am fighting a losing game over ICE at that point.

I am starting to really hope that they don't screw up L5R, I am likely going to jump ship to that day one.

ICE has always been a gear check, ever since the beginning. Sentries hurt, barriers stop and code gate are somewhere in the middle. The reason why you want ICE is the same reason why you might want to run multiples of a unique in a runner deck, to help decrease variance. Hell, the whole thing about glacier is making your servers so taxing that it makes it really inefficient to keep running on them, forcing the runner to make efficient value runs over just constantly hammering the game. It's a complaint that I see a lot, but it's always been the case since the start of the game, and it's kinda baked into the central tenants of the game.

Granted, Temujin has sort of scrambled all sorts of corp math. The reason why Team Sponsorship/AAL asset decks are all the rage now is because it click compresses the runner, instead of taxing their credits. Even still, glacier still sees play. Hell, Gencon saw a Glacier deck in 2nd place. The thing about most ICE is that it needs to have a good rez/break ratio to commonly seen breakers, those breakers being Paperclip, Gordian/Zu and Mongoose.

Playing ICE can be a tempo hit, yes. But at the same time, throwing a piece of ice over archives helps depreciate temujin value. But the idea that ICE is anything but a gearcheck. Anti-rush ICE on turn 1 is nice. But if that's the only thing that you have over your servers, then you're likely to lose unless you're thinking that you can score out by turn 4 or 5 when they have some way to get around your ice.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The runner and the corp each take turns doing all the stuff that they want to do as an action. Example, the runner has a self-modifying code and a clone chip out. The corp goes install-biotic labour-advance-advance. The runner then uses self-modifying code to bring out clot. The corp advances one more time, then rezzes Cyberdex Virus suite, trashes it to purge viruses and scores. This all happens during the corp's paid ability window, so the runner cannot use clone chip to bring back clot before the corp scores. Because there is no 'stack' in Netrunner, the corp and the runner take turns activating all the paid ability windows that they want. The only exceptions to this rule are cards that have a prevent effect, which can be used in response to the effect happening.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 6, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Oh, can we get these two images added to the OP? They're probably one of the best resources for figuring out how turns work

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

Dang. I was trying to figure out if I could use a scored firmware upgrades and/or a mumbad construction co along with morph ice to change an ICE's type after the runner had already paid to match it.
Looks like that is probably a no.

No, but you can use it to swap it to a breaker that the runner doesn't have at the time before the runner starts interacting with the ICE.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Radio Mercur

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

LordNat posted:

I'd love something like "Subroutines that do not End the Run can not be broken if the ICE was rezzed during this run." or even an upgrade with something like "The first subroutine on ICE protecting this server that does not read ->End the Run can not be broken by programs".

If you do that, then you can't have sentries, because the whole idea around sentries is that they're pricy to break, and incredibly devestating. If you make it impossible to break 'trash program' subroutines, then congrats you have made a server impenetrable. I would love to always make Ichi fire, or architect , or Brainstorm, or komainu, or basically any sentry in the game.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I think it all depends on the match-up. So vs. CTM or IG you would probably want to replace NAT, that way you can pick and choose the cards you want to kill versus hitting a psychic field with a HI up.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The ICE that I'd like to see is something along the lines of the bioroids, except you can choose to take tags to break the subroutines instead. Call them Noisy ICE or something

so something like this:

!Eli
cost 4
str 4
ICE: Barrier- Noisy
The runner may take 1 tag to break 1 subroutine on this piece of ICE
End the Run
End the Run.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The only issue with oberth is it has a really low trash cost.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Fairchild 3 is 9 to break with BO

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

That being said, runners are the strongest that they have been, perhaps ever. Money has become incredibly easy for them to make, and despite some incredibly taxing ICE that's come down the pipeline, I think all 3 runner factions are exceedingly strong choices going into worlds. Likely runner decks that will be played are probably Andysucker, dumblefork, dyper shaper and whatever bullshit deck Dan decides to use the night before world's.

Corp side is probably going to be primarily CTM, NEH fast advance or HB fast advance decks. IG kill was hurt hard with rumour mill, and Weyland still isn't in a good place yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

First issue is solved by Hivemind being unique. Second question: No, it specifically calls out the virus counter on Hivemind being the one to be treated on all other cards, but not all virus counters on a cards are considered to be on Hivemind. So if you have a medium on progenitor, the medium's counter stays, but not the Hivemind's as progenitor specifically calls out the virus counter hosted on that card.

Edit: From the rulebook

quote:

Unique Cards
Some cards have a unique symbol (<>) in front of
their title. There can be only one unique card of the
same title active at a time. If a card with a unique
title becomes active, any other card that shares its
title is immediately trashed. This trashing cannot be
prevented.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 16, 2016

• Locked thread