Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

NBN has been top corp since the day Plascrete Carapace knocked Weyland from that spot two data packs in. Glad to see that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Eh, that's a bit of an overstatement (especially since iirc hb ruled that era). As a primarily nbn player from the start, I remember the biggest jump in effectiveness (prior to the current golden era that started with the printing of NEH) was the printing of Future Proof. Those Beales just turbocharged fast advance and (together with midseasons in the same pack) made psychographics shenanigans a thing. That's when the yellow went from jintekiesque fun jank to a lean, mean scoring machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Bkack Orchestra seems like a really nice trick card for a deck that also runs yog anyway.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Give me your best Laramy Fisk decks, Goons.

No Fisk sass, just lean, mean, C-tier decks.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

The Gauntlet seems kind of iffy too. I guess it’s worth running if you don’t want to spend the influence on Desperado??

What? It's the awesomest 1 influence Shaper console: you get 2 MU for your dumb poo poo and get a bunch of HQ interfaces rolled into one 1-inf card.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

mitochondritom posted:

I've just started looking at all the data packs and stuff outside of the main core set in detail and I think its so cool how they focus on different "cultures" of the Netrunner world. I particularly like the mongolian themed ones in the more recent packs because its such a rarely featured area of the world in fiction, particularly cyberpunk fiction. Anyway do any of them focus on Netrunner Europe or Germany? I recently played Shadowrun Dragonfall which did such a good job of taking a cyberpunk setting outside of the usual Japan / San Fran / Anywhere in Gibson books setting.

HB's part of Control and Creation I guess? Nothing really interesting in that regard though.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Had a whike to get back on jinteki.net in the past few days. Game is still fun, yo.

It's a bit oa shame security nexus is the caer of the month tearing tough the inbred meta of jinteki.net, as I found nexus andy to be a really fun deck to pilot! The sort of criminal with late game legs style Adam was supposed to be.

While I've always considered Rebirth a top Anarch sideboard, it really does a lot of work in criminal too. At least for this sort of deck, which is sort of general purpose. Iain, Leela and Nero work really neat as sideboard picks you can adapt to situation at hand and help you bridge the gapto getting your expensive rig out, either by making GBS threads out cash or helping slow the corp down.

On the corp side, I hosed around with some troll/fun police decks, harvesting pubbie tears and having little inspiration for a "real" deck. Eventually, thinking on how to deal with Whizzard and security nexuses at the same time (as well as very shaper running film critic and na, breaking my little yellow heart), my attention was drawn to the plucky old New Angeles Sol.

I never really gave it a go - it always seemed a sort of TWIY-tier underwhelming ID and I never really saw much interesting done with it, with most decks online amounting to 3x targeted marketing in terms of the currents.

Well, it turned out Sol is precisely the ID I wanted to play in a long time, but did not know about it. I'm seriously impressed. And not only because it pleasurably tickles my memories of pre-NEH NBN.

The way it interacts with Targeted Marketing is amazing, as having no cred cost you can basically retarget it every few turns to ensure your pick is never dead (it pays to check out if they've tossed out). And it's currently ridiculously easy to both read runner's econ set up (hello, Temujin) and quickly determine which flavor of the week rig they're going for. Eventually, my continued iterations eliminated all but one side-current (I really can't overstate how easy it is to troll with TarMar on jinteki right now), but I regret nothing.

Also, when mulliganing into 1 ice and tarmar, the desperate move to lock r&d and pick account siphon turns out a way better bluff than it has any right to be.

Said side-current is 1xSurveillance Sweep, as a sort of anti-nexus tech. While my main plan against these is mix sansan FA with various harrassment (say, breaking news into all seeing eye) and locking rabbit holes/power taps with TarMar to win before they set up properly, it's a really sweet way to turn the table on the runner.

News Hounds, while never striking me as particularly exciting, turn out to have some really sweet value for money indeed. Great gearcheck, great tax and their cheapness makes it trivial to stack them to further infuriate Faust/Mongoose/Switchblade users who already overpay it for breaking these fellas.

Really now I'm just waiting for peeps to jump harder on the Smoke bandwagon and away from CtM-induced NBN to be able to properly toy with some other poo poo. Media Blitz/Datapook/Aryabhata(/Manhunt) should be sweet to port into here. Clones would be so trivial to score. And recurring free Predictive Algorithm could make for some pretty sweet troll deck, given less critics et al.

What I'm trying to say, Sol is deceptively cool and fun, don't be like the old me and give it a go!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The Deleter posted:

I'm a sucker for Glacier NBN so I might give Sol a try now that Spark's unable to really impact a runner anymore. Plus currents are some of my favorite design space (gently caress Rumor Mill though) so I'll give it a shot.

This is my current iteration. It's kinda experimental in that Midseasons/Psycho was a late addition (for both leveraging the general wealth of this deck and further punish tagme obelus fools/disrespect of TarMar). It seems to work out, but I'm not sure it's worth stretching the ICE somewhat thin (kinda miss the 2x Resistor 2x Quicksand barrier setup):

quote:

3 SanSan City Grid
1 Keegan Lane
1 Closed Accounts
2 Restructure
2 Blue Level Clearance
1 Surveillance Sweep
1 Exchange of Information
1 Tollbooth
1 Psychographics
1 AstroScript Pilot Program
2 Archangel
3 Targeted Marketing
1 Archived Memories
3 Breaking News
2 Data Raven
1 Midseason Replacements
1 Turnpike
3 News Hound
3 Sweeps Week
3 Global Food Initiative
3 Jackson Howard
1 The All-Seeing I
3 Project Beale
3 Resistor
3 Hedge Fund

In own experiments, feel more than free to go down to 2 Jacksons - between glacierness and ability for early scoring agenda floods ain't a big deal, and the Jackies are mostly useful for card draw (this I need strongly) + maybe baiting extra runs through my sole remote.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 1, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I'm seriously considering taking a shot at a deck built around tag-reliant ICE for the hilarity of slapping sub boosts on all the bandwidths and gutenbergs and friends.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The only way to salvage BoN is to let it die in rotation and print a new ID that, on the beginning of a turn, saves you a click, rather than a cred, when advancing.

[edit] I meant because we built it, I don't even remember how this poo poo card was called.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Afriscipio posted:

Apparently he's not working at FFG anymore, but that's all from Reddit, so take it with a grain of salt.

After seeing this card, I'm not really surprised.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

You guys don't understand, it's postironic balance.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Zephro posted:

There is some counterplay to SIFR, I suppose

Yes, picking CtM.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

One miniscule silver lining to the entire thing is, once SIFR hits jinteki.net and finds its way into 98% of decks played there due to the hivemind meta I think it'll be pretty funny to make a yellow gimmick deck based entirely around on encounter effects of ICE.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

Time to make a CTM deck with no ice.

Keep the pop up windows as a statement.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I'd say the core favors the Runner, if only because half the corps (Jinteki, NBN) are complete trash with that cardpool, while all three runners work decent enough. So, git gud, I guess.

IIRC the best runner build for pure core set was Gabe with Magnum Opus, playing like a boring shaper with dank blue tricks and Account Siphons. With how poo poo the corp economy was at the time, a well-timed siphon could make or break the game on its own.

Also, enjoy the relentless pressure of Noise while neither of you have Jackson Howards in the cardpool yet!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The trick to learning Runner is knowing how balls to the wall you can go facechecking ICE. If you've got no programs out, what's the worst that can happen? A single tag? Just don't run last click and you'll be fine. Losing a card or two? Do you have key combo pieces/singletons of breakers you really care about? Does this corporation have ICE that can inflict damage at all? Nasty looking bioroids? Run early in the turn and just click through nasty poo poo, no biggie.

Once you have trashable programs out, it becomes more of a cardpool knowledge matter - what's the worst that could happen given the amount of creds the corp currently has?

When it comes to Noise - core set Noise, mind you, where he's not yet at the "just chill and play solitaire tableau builder until the corp is decked" - it's all about pressure. Between mills and Datasuckers and whatnot, you nearly immediately turn all three central servers into major security risk for the corp. So you just keep on running and draining the opponent of clicks and creds as he has to rez poo poo ASAP and then finds themself without resources to actually enact their plans (building a proper remote, usually) as the cards keep flowing in their hand.

And if they're spread thin and kept on the backfoot (having to shore up defences on servers you secretly don't really care about that much, clicking for creds as they're drained) you have ample opportunity to snipe some ICE with Parasites and open the server up again to hammer it with Mediums or force to invest in its protection again.

A super-duper 5 ICE Archive is actually the best thing you can hope for - you don't really need to run that server all that often, so it's a lot of resources and tempo committed to a server you don't really give a flying gently caress about because you can just bide your time for a single 15+ cards access in the late game.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Eh, as much as I loved NBN from the very beginning, I think it definitely coasted on the fact everyone was bad back then. It wasn't until the pack with both Beale and Midseasons that its agenda game really got scary and it had to import boith virtually all of its economy and non-porous ice.

It was really all about lucking into getting astrotrain going on and runners making straight up mistakes (like facechecking on the last click). I really can't see it winning a core/core-and-most-of-genesis-cycle game between two experienced players nowadays.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Sifr is further proof Pop-Up Window remains the reigning king of ICE.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Scored all 7 points in a single turn, via gang sign.

Feels good, man.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I'm kind of said to see Noise go. Sure, I know why they did it, but he was my boi for good few years. :(

Similarly, while I perfectly understand the reasoning behind it, I'm slightly sad to see Fast Advance essentially entirely gone from NBN's slice of the color pie. It was this dependable bedrock allowing to try various dumb gimmicks with the rest of the deck.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

My guess about Gang Sign is that they want to break it being paired with Magnum Opus in Leela, so that you have to be a bit more proactive about maintaining bank to lock the corp out.

I also suspect Mopus is on the list less as a result of some particular nasty combo as much as control decks just mashing it while yawning at the corp being unable to do anything being considered NPE.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, Maw is safe from the ARs.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It's so weird to live at a time when Weyland is better than NBN at fast advance.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I'm playing on jinteki against NBN launching Door to door at me turn 1. I then proceed to sit on my rear end and pop Opus Magnum while sitting on a low hand of conspiracy breakers and IHWs until the corp itself chooses to feed me an agenda (on Alice archive run) just to make it stop.

It was a fun game.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

So, what is the best way currently to gently caress up Cerebral Imaging's day?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

They really should restrict Kakugo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

We stockholm syndromed and git gud through siphon too, and look how much more fun we have now that it's gone.

• Locked thread