Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

2 core sets is pretty much required for even semi-competitive play.

(Also a curtain wall is very approachable, just hard to pass :colbert:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

A doppleganger with "Desperado" sharpied across it

alternately idk a quality time? Desperado is a pretty core part of the build and while going to 2 sucks it's better than 0

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

IIRC someone on stimhack slack chat was bragging about beating an asset spam deck with no installed cards other than Desperado

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

sonatinas posted:

It's the Josh01 game vs CTM. It's worth a watch on his twitch. You can trash everything.

Do you have a link?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Perhaps if it wasn't so "in character". It did contain useful links and pertinent information, but, my god, it just makes my eyes glaze over.

Edit: I haven't played Netrunner for two years or so. At the time, it had a regular following at my local game store. Has much changed since the lunar themed expansion released? Have any sets ended up being phased out for tournament play?

Nothing has rotated yet, but it's slated to happen at the end of the current cycle. In terms of changes, uh, basically everything is topsy-turvy in terms of meta (Anarchs are top dogs then Crim/Shapers runner wise, NBN top corpside followed by uhh HB and Jinteki kill I guess) especially since they put out a restricted list (increasing influence cost on certain cards, even in-faction) and errata'ing a few.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well Astroscript is now limit one per deck so its a different kind of NBN at least :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Xeom posted:

Any deck recommendations for someone that's fairly new to try on jinteki?

berenzen posted:

Abram Jopp's (Creator of Dumblefork) has some good teaching decks for those who have all the datapack on his website. He also has a variety of other decks with why he went with specific cards. While he's not necessarily the best netrunner player, he's probably one of Netrunner's best deckbuilders.

The Whizzard one in particular is pretty decent even against a full cardpool

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

No ice Haarp kill was hilarious dumb fun on casual jnet

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Someone last page linked the runthenet article about a set of 6 teaching decks which are generally well-balanced against each other, if perhaps a little more complicated than you'd want.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I might also note that you can buy used, which is a hell of a lot cheaper.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

There you run into the risk of having a deck that would actually somehow be better in Silhouette.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm beginning to think that Netrunner is a well-designed game that is pretty poorly developed.

ffg.txt

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

e: ^^^ icebreaker not even programs in general

Man if it was 'when you encounter' then we'd be cooking

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

:stare:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Still even then, being able to eliminate Runner recursion with no counterplay is pretty fuckin' big.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Stinson feels really conditional but "Click: gain 15 credits" is pretty loving huge

e: holy poo poo Encore

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I am reading "ignoring all costs" right? Including play cost?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

krakagar posted:

Ok thanks.

Ok thanks. This all makes sense and is as I expected. But in that case, if I use Fall Guy to prevent the trashing, does the opportunity then revert back to the corp before I get a chance to activate Hades?

Since Hades is a paid ability- one that doesn't require a click to activate- the timing would go: Click one- trash Hades Shard, interrupted and prevented by Fall Guy. Then between click 1 and 2 the runner trashes Hades Shard and accesses Archives. The corp could activate a paid ability between the two clicks as well and go first- ie use Jackson to clear out Archives before you pop Hades- but IIRC there's no paid ability resource trash.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Outside of the garbage News Now Hour defensive upgrades are basically dead to Rumor Mill with no to little counterplay, especially Jinteki which needs 4/2 agendas.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

HB also has two 3/2 agendas, one of which has a super good effect, so they can afford to play the never advance game and really only want to sneak out a single 5/3 scoring window. Jinteki's 3/2 is garbage (Philotic is all right but not really glacier and also 1 per deck) and their ice is less taxing so they rely more on Caprice/Batty. Councilman/PolOp are nasty but can be played around, but Rumor Mill basically makes it impossible to reliably score a 4/2. It's a pity since I really liked Palana glacier.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

4 pointers are good if they're really good- Nisei mk II is easily the posterchild for this. 5 pointers are more problematic, exacerbated because a lot of them are just kinda bad.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

To be honest it's less that non-3/2s don't get played and more that bad agendas don't get played. Astro, ABT, and Atlas would be strong contenders even as 4/2s (especially if Atlas kept the math), Beale gets played since NBN is ridiculously good at scoring 3 pointers. Vitruvious is marginal but kinda decent and often Biotic'd. Braintrust being awful is a strong reason why Jinteki can't play FA or neveradvance.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

a) 15 mins works since it explicitly notes it's active in the Runner's score area
b) Hosted cards don't fall off unless the host is trashed

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Let it be reiterated that Ark Lockdown is a stupid card. Looks cool though

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jinteki PU does have that gross HB remove-from-heap card but at 2 inf a pop I don't really see it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

2 credits is overpriced for draw though so if you're not using it to to prevent a kill it seems pretty bad. And the only kind of kill it has an advantage against is jinteki kill with lots of little net damage, which isn't that big of a deal to start with? (as opposed to decks which use net damage as a tax, where paying 2 credts/card is a bad deal anyway)

IG49 really can't beat it while it's on the table, you're too all-in on one kill combo. Maybe splashing some Voter Intimidation would work. The big problem with it is that it's permanent kill prevention, the only other one was Feedback Filter which is expensive and narrow enough in scope it didn't get played much.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

FF was especially popular because a) Museum IG was A Thing b) they had no recursion so losing a combo piece is brutal

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Small deck sizes are good since you get to be way more consistent. Give me Netrunner's easy draw, plentiful recursion, and small decks over any other LCG.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah maybe you can claim that is the case now but before they printed a shitload of stupid assets/protection and nerfed Caprice/Ash so lots of ice remains good for most of the game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

There's already a fair number of those effects, Tollbooth has been a staple for forever. Ice has never been about permanently keeping the runner out, just slowing them down; and IMO that's not a bad way to design them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah my biggest complaint with the game right now isn't any fundamental issues but just that they've been pushing the power level of cards way too far and relying on overreaching hosers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Why the gently caress does Net Mercur trigger itself

why

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

This Post Sucks posted:

I really don't understand people who are saying that "The minimum deck sizes should be increased" and such. Can someone explain why that is an issue considering there's no maximum?

If you increase your deck size you're unilaterally decreasing your odds of success (since your deck will be less consistent) without any difference in your opponent or indeed the way the game is designed and balanced.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah runner side, it prevented you from using stealth icebreakers IIRC

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Does Foxfire even do poo poo against Net Mercur or are they just too rich

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yithian posted:

Yeah, the first time I saw Black Orchestra's full text, I went "oh, it's Paperclip but for code gates and in increments of 2", too. Then I reread it a few more times and realized that Black Orchestra is kind of awful. Which makes sense because it's an anarch decoder.

yog tho

Too bad I was hoping to have the full suite of install from heap decoders but Orchestra just looks too mediocre to be worth it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It is a little silly that Paperclip is straight better than Corroder, if it was just a little weaker it'd be more of a tradeoff.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Shouldn't the draft set have three product codes, for the starter, runner, and corp? Legitimately don't know how that's set.

I did hear a rumor about playtesters having a rearranged Core Set (reprinted, no new cards) ahead of rotation. Apparently there was a Chaos Theory with a core set icon and a different set number. Wild speculation of something I've been rooting for.

Yeah there's been some ~hot scoops~ that there's a rebooted core set floating around with some of the original cards replaced

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think the rumor was that only certain IDs have been replaced.

Desperado makes me sad since it's such a good card that does a lot of good things and it's hard to nerf it without changing its role. Maybe make it stock up credits and only pay out over time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Saker: It's Less Awful Than Aurora. Gauntlet doesn't look good tho. How does Top Hat stack- its nonunique but seems like it would only fire once?

• Locked thread