Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Xeom posted:

How do you guys feel about some of the suggested formats like 1:1:1:1 and it's slight variants?

I've been wanting to see what could be done in a singleton format for a little while. Also, why isn't there a Goon Jinteki league. If there's not one being arranged by the time I get off work tonight, I'll start arranging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Netrunner League 1.0

Jinteki League thread is up!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Hey all, just a quick reminder that today is the last day to sign up for Netrunner Goon League. All skill levels welcome, we've got 14 players signed up so far, so there will definitely be at least four rounds for this first league.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
For folks playing in the Jinteki league: PAIRINGS! are now up for Round 1.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Is anyone going to mention that Stinson is a freking How I Met Your Mother reference? Netrunner is dead.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Zephro posted:

Wasn't "Noisy" a game mechanic in the original Netrunner?

Mostly right Stash. It was kind of Stealth done in reverse. IIRC there were also some ICE that cared if you used a Noisy breaker vs a Stealth breaker. But I could be making that up. If I am, that could be an interesting design space if extrapolated out into other ideas, maybe a code gate like:

Revolving Door
Rez 4, Strength 2
Weyland - 2 Inf
If the runner breaks a subroutine on Revolving door with a program with 4 or less strength, he or she loses Click or ends the run.
Sub - End the run

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
For the first time in six MONTHS I get play at an event tomorrow. I am so glad to run nets again in real life. A little disappointed I won't have a run at worlds as result of new job, but it means that I get to be 100% chill.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Interesting, but I think it's more likely to be a draft pack.

Shouldn't the draft set have three product codes, for the starter, runner, and corp? Legitimately don't know how that's set.

I did hear a rumor about playtesters having a rearranged Core Set (reprinted, no new cards) ahead of rotation. Apparently there was a Chaos Theory with a core set icon and a different set number. Wild speculation of something I've been rooting for.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Goon League 2 is up!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
So, this is the decklist I've been working at for Omar. It really wants a Killer in the Conspiracy breaker set but until I have one I'll have to make due. It's a very straightforward deck to just force the corp to over-extend themselves trying to keep the dirty old man out.

Come at the Keung
code:
Omar Keung: Conspiracy Theorist

Events
2 Déjà Vu
3 Deuces Wild
3 Dirty Laundry
3 Inject
3 I've Had Worse
1 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware
3 Grimoire
3 Prepaid VoicePAD

Resources
3 Liberated Account
3 Street Peddler

Icebreakers
1 Black Orchestra
2 Mimic
2 Paperclip
1 Yog.0

Programs
2 D4v1d
2 Datasucker
2 Medium
1 Nerve Agent
2 Parasite

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
For those in Jinteki League 0010, PAIRINGS!!! are available here. Good luck all!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Yithian posted:

And why does Bulwark have two subroutines that say "The corp gains 2 credits. End the run."? That won't make the corp gain 4 credits! What the gently caress?

Apex / Endless Hunger defense. Because Bulwark is anti AI. Which is really cool. If only it was playable.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Afriscipio posted:

He's also known for taking the most "degenerate" decks available in the meta.

That's more of his Regionals and Store Champs shtick. He won 2014 with ETF/Andy and 2015 with ETF/Val. CI7 seems like a weird choice, but I'm guessing he's on Power Shutdown Boom too?

The other reason he's bigly in the community is that Reddit will bend over backwards to praise anything he says. But, as far as I can tell, he refuses to speak up in defense of attempts to diversify the player base. Which probably contributed to why Reddit sucks his dick. Also, he attends major events wearing a wife beater with his own name printed on it.

Edit:
Top 96 Corp decks:
71% NBN
38.5% CTM

63% Anarch
44% Whizz

2 Adams and 1 Sunny made day 2 though.
Now, in fairness, if I had been able to make it, I'd be on CTM/Nexus Kate, so grain of salt taken.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 4, 2016

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Zephro posted:

^^Actually I was wondering about a GNK or something where NBN and Anarch were both banned, but I guess it would just be ETF vs Nexus Kate and Temujin Andysucker as far as the eye could see

You're never going to be able to craft a meta that represents everything. When we bitch about a stale meta, we need to be cognizant of the actual number of viable archetypes within it. Top 8 this year is not very representative, but that's okay, Top 8 almost by definition won't be. BUT, Day 2 is representative that there are absolutely dominant strategies that need to be smoothed out.

I actually think Runner's are in pretty good shape, consider the most common builds:
Anatomy Whizzard (I refuse to call it regass, because that name is dumb and bad.)
DLR Anarch (Admittedly, I don't like DLR decks, but it won't be around forever either.)
Temujin Andysucker (Party like it's 2014)
Nexus Kate (Not yet included: Smoke all day erry day)

Plus, a Hayley made Top 16, and 2 Adam's made day 2. That's at least as many decks as you can reasonably expect from most comparable games. Now, on the Corp side, there are issues, because the decks I can reliably name most of the cards from off hand looks more like:
ETF
FA NEH
Boom NEH
FA CTM
Boom CTM
Boom Sync
The-Festering-Corpse-of-IG

ETF has been doing it's thing since the game started and will continue to do so until the end of time. I'm okay with this. It's such a baseline that it basically establishes what every other deck needs to be at least as good as. I included IG not because it's seeing a lot of success, but because it's still there as a reminder that the Corp meta is confused and very likely significantly damaged. Which leaves NBN.

To me, NBN looks a lot like Magic's early days of Blue. It has: card draw, board control, and efficient tempo. Somewhere along the line, "Win the game better" got assigned to NBN. Core-Set NBN was a crapshoot to play, and the faction did need a lot of smoothing out. But almost every new release feeds more good stuff to Yellow, in new ways, that seem to split the color-pie wildly and at random. There are things that every corp needs to do: make credits, control card flow, protect servers, and end games. But Jenkins & Howard merely ignore any areas in which they don't excel. Consider ICE design; this is supposed to be somewhere that NBN is not as good HB. But NBN has enough top tier ice to do whatever they want, and they have some of the best pieces in the game, e.g. Tollbooth, Wraparound, and Dataraven.

Rotation is the way forward, and I really believe that Core 2.0 is needed. No new cards, but a refresh to what's currently "Eternal" to bring the game in line with the way it's developed. FFG desperately needs better playtesters, but this has been an almost cosmic level problem that seems out of designs control. I actually have a lot of good will towards Damon; certainly more than I had for Lukas at the end of his stewardship. He seems to like new design spaces and has been pushing power levels in some of the right places.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Can I make a request for a spoiler tag or moratorium for 24 hours please?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Quick Correction for Berenzen, ChiLo has been confirmed to be Chicago-St. Louis by Lukas Litzsinger (a fellow StL native.) No, I don't know how that makes much sense. But I'm presuming Jinteki bought out Monsanto in the Android Universe and by extension, the Corn Desert of Illinois.

As for the 23 Seconds, I'd love to see Andy get a Corp card, back in the company of Risties. But I hadn't thought about CT's dad's card being her canonical end point. I can totally see it though, great catch!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Terminal Directive

It looks cool! Are the cards tourney legal? How the hell does that work? :iiam:

Edit: Appears to be tournament legal. Still, how rotation do?

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 11, 2016

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I like that the X-Wing champ has a name that wouldn't be out of place in Star Wars.

But I am very glad that the Star Wars stuff is getting its own tourney track. With Destiny and L5R getting added into the mix, this already crowded event would become a Cronenbergian sea of pallid flesh and unkempt beards.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

AgentF posted:

The problem with playing events/operations at instant speed or during runs is that many of them can be used to initiate runs. You use that ICE's sub to play An Offer You Can't Refuse and now the runner is running while she's running. If both runs are on the same server then the runner can run past herself. At this point the FAQ doubles in length.

It was at that point that my console returned an underflow error and an honest-to-god blue screen of death. Like, I didn't even know those could still happen. But it turns out when you hit a server with quantum-entangled security protocols, your system clock gets really weird. I jacked out, threw up, called Jinteki IT and asked to speak to the SysOp that had been loving with me all run. I congratulated her, threw up again, and was promptly arrested.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Scoop from latest FFG Products newsletter is Core Set 2.0 is happening next quarter.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I'd rather have Null than Reina, because he feels so archetypal and built as a "my-first-runner" but getting Noise out needs to happen to free up the design space for viruses again. Stronger Together is Fine. ETF is probably SO GOOD that literally no other HB identity will ever truly supplant it in an eventual Standard. Same for Kate.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Bottom Liner posted:

Is there any word on what will change with the core? Will it still require multiples, or will it be supplemental to the 1st one?

None, no further infor at this time. The *guess* is that it will be reprints and erratas, but all I have to go on is the word of the ordering guy at a shop.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

vandalism posted:

I'm just buying in and have 1 core, creation and control, and honor and profit. I wanna play casually and against a couple of guys with big card pools. Should I hold off on buying in to Genesis and spin cycle for now until core 2?

Get Opening Moves as soon as you can for Jackson. But don't let us dissuade you from expanding where you want. We're chawing on about community-hoped-for-but-wholly-unsubstantiated rumors. Buy the cards you want to buy and don't let the very loud, very top-end of the player base influence you too much.

Radish posted:

I mean yeah that would be ideal but Fantasy Flight seems fundemenatlly opposed to that idea sadly.

On the same not, I'm actually fine with the way FFG does core sets. Yes, I would love if they did completion sets, but they have repeatedly stressed that a significant portion of the player base does not buy 3x Core + Everything. Making the game approachable by buying one box is a significant portion of the model, even if those players aren't on every ANR message board they can find and listening to three podcasts a week.

The Deleter posted:

I bought Netrunner to avoid the blind buy dragon chase, I don't want that back.

Draft MTG is the best way to play MTG. For $15 a head you get your evenings entertainment which is a perfectly reasonable amount of money to spend on it. But, yeah, spending twice that, without the possibility of pulling money isn't. I've heard Netrunner Cube is great and would love to try that format though.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
As posted in the Goon League thread:
Congratulations to Destrado for winning Jinteki Goon League 0010!

I'm going to be creating a new league soon, but probably not immediately in order to play around the holidays a little better for everyone. Thanks for participating and I hope to have you back next time!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

WFGuy posted:

So many ways incoming to fast-advance out your Government Takeover, but I suppose it's easier to do that with the smaller government on Mars. Still, I can't wait for the "Click 1 Biotic, click 2 install card, clicks 3-5 VOLTRON ASSEMBLE THE TAKEOVER"

Don't you see? We ran your rustpot colony the whole time. The drones building the dome extension? GRNDL assemblers. The security at the atmosphere plant? Argus contractors. The server racks for the monitoring software? The ACTUAL RACKS --Weyland. It's hardly even a takeover. If we weren't here, you'd be naked, suffocating in the sand.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

ninjaiguana posted:

So Adjusted Matrix...does the breaker it's hosted on have to boost strength to equal the ICE's strength to use its ability? Because it would seem the answer is yes from the rules as they stand, and that's not great. I guess you're saying 'I can break ICE this breaker normally couldn't interact with by using clicks, but I still have to pump', but clicks are really precious. Five to install and then needing to match strength as well seems kind of meh.

Also 'you can spend <click> to break subroutines' is terrible wording. It should be "Host icebreaker gains '<click>: break ice subroutine'". The way it's written it implies you can spent one click to break an undefined number of subs during an encounter.

:iiam:

Adjusted Matrix is a shocking failure of templating and will hopefully either be changed before release, or will need an immediate errata and clarification if the previewed text is at the printer. But I'll do what I can to parse it.

Does the modded breaker need strength equal to the encountered ICE?
Probably. Icebreakers cannot interact with ICE if they do not have at least equal strength. For example, Wyrm cannot lower ICE strength until it has first matched it. However, cards that are not icebreakers don't have strength and therefore don't need to. So, if Adjusted Matrix itself is used for the other ability, then possibly it does not.

How does the subroutine-breaking ability work?
I have no idea. Or, rather, I have about four. First, a clarification, abilities that cost [Click] can't be used during a run. So, "[Click]: Break ice subroutine" doesn't work. Presumably however, "Lose [Click]: Break ice subroutine" would (and it has previously been clarified that you cannot voluntarily 'lose' something you don't have.)

Another proposal is that Adjusted Matrix allows you to spend [Click] to use the modified breaker's subroutine-breaking ability to break subroutines on any type of ice, as is standard on AI breakers. This is VERY complicated to template, but might have been better rules-text as "When you encounter a piece of ice you may spend [Click]. If you do, you may break ice subroutines with this icebreaker as though they could be broken by this icebreaker." E.G. Corroder has "1c: Break Barrier subroutine" but with Adjusted Matrix, you encounter a code gate, spend click and then your Corroder functionally has "1c: Break ice subroutine" for that encounter.

A final idea is that Adjusted Matrix confers something like "Lose [Click]: Break any number of ice subroutines" Which seems wildly overpowered, especially if it doesn't have to match strength so presumably can't be correct.

Why???
Because FFG's playtesters, the Future Future League are volunteers with little motivation, half a dozen games to playtest, and no extraordinary insight into the complexities of them. And because sometimes people forget the very important reason that Card Games cards aren't written in normal prose -- because they are actually add-ons to very detailed rules.

So, in conclusion, Damon, FFG, I will happily template all of your cards for you. I will sign any NDA and agree to compete in no events higher than a GNK for as long as I have done so. My price for this is (1) order of crab rangoon from my favorite Thai place each quarter. Please, please, stop editing your cards with a Markov bot.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

ninjaiguana posted:

Yeah, that's what I think they intended (from what Zorajit's saying it would probably need to say 'you may lose 1 Click to break 1 ICE subroutine', but otherwise checks out) and would mean that yes, you do need to boost the breaker to use the new ability it has...but it ain't what they wrote. I absolutely could be wrong about what they intended, but whatever it was, right now they've previewed a sloppy mess of a card.

For the purpose of being explicit about this, if it had been worded "...lose 1 click to break 1 ice subroutine" then it would only allow you to break a single sub, and may not be able to use that ability more than once. 1.0 Bioroids use the formatting "...may spend [Click] to break any subroutine..." which is a sort of conditionality of each subroutine. As written, Adjusted Matrix says "you spend [Click] to break subroutines" which is notable because it definitely says subroutines, plural. Even if it had said "may spend X [Click]s to break X subs..." then we would have a better idea of what the intention was here.

EDIT:
For posterity, here is how I would have templated the card. Admittedly, I'm deriving a new term here, but I think it's the best implementation of what I *think* this lasgna of a card does.

code:
Adjusted Matrix -- 5c
Hardware: Mod
Install Adjusted Matrix on an [b]icebreaker[/b] as a mod.
Modded icebreaker is an [b]AI[/b] in addition to its other types and has 
"Spend [click]: Break ice subroutine"
Shaper -- 2 inf

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 8, 2016

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I'm very much of the opinion that I want to play it, but I don't want to buy it right now. Can you elaborate on the BSG-esque aesthetic? I love BSG (the whole franchise really, I have a Battlestar Pegasus patch and Captain's rank pips somewhere in my costuming kit); but I found Dead of Winter to be an inconsistent mess.

Also, I drafted a pair of duel decks that I'd like some feedback on. The goal here is to be flavorful -- this is the story of Kit trying to liberate virtual consciousnesses from HB while they build upon them, and approachable for new players -- trying to keep most of the cards mostly in-faction. Have a look at let me know what changes I could make.

AoT Duel Deck
Kit Duel Deck

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

The Lord of Hats posted:

I like the idea of having the Bioroids all be unique, but even with AoT's ability, that deck is going to be struggling really hard with how expensive most of its ice is. Only half of its ICE can be somewhat reasonably rezzed 1st turn (okay, Ravana, but it doesn't *do* anything on its own), not all of which ETRs. This makes it really difficult for AoT to get any kind of early econ going, because it just can't protect its Campaigns, and its operation econ is just Hedge Funds and two Blue Level Clearances (especially if it has to compete with Magnum Opus). I think it's going to get out-Econed by Kit basically all the time, and it kind of has to hope that it can bluff Kit into running a big server with Cerebral Overwriter multiple times, because otherwise it's just really iffy.

I agree, the economy for the corp side is shaky at best. I think the thematic element of keeping the bioroids 1-off is important enough to retain, though I'm open to not going basically 100% bioroid. Ash was excluded because I find the card inexorably complex for new players, but could be given a spot. One option would be to drop Sub Boost and ELP for another BLC and Launch Campaign for more hard currency. (As an aside, Museum is included for non-Jackson flood protection, not to abuse; and Brain-Taping Warehouse seemed too thematically relevant not to give a pseudo-econ spot.) On the runner side, swapping Magnum for Armitage maybe to level things out?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Apparently, the latest Winning Agenda podcast had a discussion about data pack legality at Worlds. The thrust being that some packs in a cycle have significantly better cards than others. At the very least, it's odd that a set designed at the same time never really competes as a whole entity on its own merits. Some of this is resultant of the divorce between the design side, sales side, and organized play sides of FFG. Design gets done with a set months in advance, sales tries (allegedly) to keep a steady release schedule, and OP has to put the tournaments where they can without much regard for where the card pool is at.

Now, this isn't a problem for Magic, because they drop a whole set at once, so Grand Prix and World Championship events come around for each Standard-Format release. But with the splitting off of the Star Wars stuff from the rest of FFGs World Series, it might be possible to rejigger the structure of Premier events to better represent cycles and other expansions.

I'm not deeply committed to the idea. It would likely mean some combination of Regional / National / World's events would have card pools lagging behind GNKs and shops. But I do think, from the angle of "What provides the most representative competition" that the idea has some merit.

I think, ideally, releases should be timed to conclude a cycle just before World's, and let other events fall where they may. But I'm not sure how feasible that is, especially if this paradigm was used for the Thrones and Five Rings when it releases next year.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

ninjaiguana posted:

Yeah, I agree. I assume bioroids work because they allow you to spend clicks to break them, but it's not worded as a click ability and it's also not a runner card allowing the interaction, it's a corp one. They could have made Adjusted Matrix '0 credits: Lose <click> and break ice subroutine', and then it would have worked within the framework of the game.

For pure pedantry, that wording definitely wouldn't work. It would need to be along the lines of "Lose [click], if you do, break ice subroutine" because you can lose a click you don't have, see Enigma though personally, I find "if you do" clauses kind of inelegant. However, the new wording is fine, because Netrunner does have a rule 0: "Cards actually work" that has been invoked once or twice in the past. Price of not having a comprehensive rules document and an extensive judge program.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Goon League 3!

I'm gonna try to stay out of the SIFR fray because this post is to let everyone know that I've started a new thread for the next Jinteki league. There are multiple formats available this time, so I apologize that the sign-up is more complicated. You can watch this twee info video if you're confused.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Goon League 0011 will be a Progression league. If you wish to sign up, registration is extended until 10pm, CST, Wednesday 11 January.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Goon League 0011: Progression League Pairings are now available.

VV EDIT: Missed participants. Hold on rounds.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 11, 2017

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Goon League pairings have been fixed. Apologies for the inconvenience.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Huh, apparently people still enjoy playing Netrunner. Like these dorks from Reddit. Hey, whatever brings joy.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Thought experiment: What if Parasite was removed from game when it trashed a piece of ice?

Expanded proposals:
Blackmail RFGs on resolution.
Rumor Mill names and blanks a single card.

Also: When did the game have the most viable number of decks. Was it between Honor & Profit and Lunar 1?
I think that period had: Kate GoodStuff, Noise Virus Spam, Andysucker, plus the off CT, Gabe, and Iain on the runner side. And HBFA, HB Glacier, PE "Cambridge" Shell Game, RP Fun Police, NBN Fast Advance, NBN Kill, and GRNDL Rush. I'm stretching here to be sure, but I'm trying to confirm that I'm not crazy and the number of not just viable decks has gone down, but that whole archetypes seem to be endangered species.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 24, 2017

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

What is the worst piece of ICE? It's Tyrant, right? Even Burke Bugs is playable against a broke runner.

Salvage and Zed 1.0 probably deserve consideration too.

berenzen posted:

Pretty sure the greatest variety of decks was right before Mumbad.

Almost all of shaper was good, anarch was starting to find their footing with headlock and Noiselock, Crim was wavering, but there was andysucker and Leela were pretty solid. HB was HB and had glacier and FA strategies. NBN was in kill and in FA. Weyland was hurting at this point because they couldn't threaten death as much as they could. You had white tree glacier and Cambridge trap PE.

This may be anecdotal to my meta, obviously NBN didn't win worlds 2014 (RP) or 2015 (ETF), but NEH represented a sea change for deck building because of how obscenely consistent it made NBN FA. Leela represented the first strong Criminal deck that wasn't Andysucker and was contemporary. But NEH was exacerbated by the SanSan cycle. I'd argue that pre-Mumbad, the field was still plenty diverse. Faust and D4V1D were also becoming dominant at that point. Mumbad's political assets, IG Prison would then become meta-breaking and define the current game. No judgement here, but I'm trying to get as clear a picture as I can because I absolutely loathe saying "It used to be better..." and doubly so if I can't demonstrate why.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 24, 2017

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

berenzen posted:

No apologies are needed. I'm the guy that likes to play CI7

Can you walk us through the most recent CI7 "go-off" turn? I can never keep the whole sequence straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Hey folks,

Game Over. I want to first offer a short apology that the league was perhaps not run as well as previous ones. I should have attended it more diligently. I didn't deliver the best possible play experience to the players involved. I hope you still got an interesting game or two in. If anyone else wants to take up the league, I encourage you to do so. Please don't feel the need to keep up the over-the-top binary counting scheme or god awful fiction intros. Just run a league people want to play in.

Jacking Out. I'm going to try to keep this brief. I don't want this to be a "sky is falling" downer post, but I feel I have been on this community long enough to warrant a wave off. I'm stepping away from Netrunner for the foreseeable future. I'm going to pick up Terminal Directive, it seems like a reasonable end point and I hope I can have some fun playing through it. I'm not selling off my collection, but I won't be getting Red Sands or being engaged in Organized Play.

I'm getting out for two reasons, the more personal of which I'll tell in a moment. The other is, of course, the meta. I am exhausted of the current Anarchs vs whatever meta. If you're enjoying it, great, I'm happy for you. If you don't play at events, I'm quite glad you don't have to care about it. Sifr, Rumor Mill, and Parasite as they presently exist threaten the stability and longevity of the game. And, frankly, Netrunner to me has always been a game about "that next piece of ice." That play has so radically shifted from that interaction leaves me disheartened and confused. It feels like the "bluff and bait" game has been replaced by a binary question of "Do you have the win?" Will Rotation fix some things? Maybe, but it remains no less than seven months away. And we've been harping on it for two loving years.

The B Side. This is the more personal part and I hope you don't mind lending me an audience for a moment longer. I got into Netrunner in late 2013. A friend gave me a Core set and Creation & Control as housewarming gifts as I moved into my first apartment. A relationship had ended badly for me a couple months before and living alone in a tiny apartment was probably not the healthiest place to be. But drat if Netrunner wasn't the best thing I had going for me. My first game against anyone other than the friend that jumped me in was against Lucas Muxi Li, who would go on to win US Nationals in 2015. I stole three Astroscripts on lucky access and lost. It was a blast.

My friend and I got other folks in. We started going to tourneys and started bringing home prizes. We played at our houses, at the pub, and on the monstrosity that was OCTGN. I was one of the first players playing Replicating Perfection Fun Police and Shaper Stealth. I won the first local Store Championship in 2015 with those decks. I had a better mind for bluffing and baiting, years on the debate team maybe, but mostly I had more time for the game. The guy that got me in is a workaholic and between business trips, stopped coming to events.

I tried to get a new crop of players in. My then-girlfriend gave it a shot. We worked with another local to try to get a Lady Netrunners playgroup together. But she's not a cutthroat and didn't stick with it. I reconnected with a college classmate who played. His roommate / partner / I don't really know did too, but they really didn't enjoy the prospect of event play. I must have met half a dozen "ghost players" that had competitive decks, followed the game, and never once went to an event. Other friends moved or got out entirely. Two of my close friends straight up told me that Netrunner was too hard and that they only enjoy M:tG Commander, a format I find asinine.

To each their own. Really. But I'm left without the players I want to play against, or the decks I want to play. So I'm turning off the lights for a while. I really hope I can come back sooner-than-later. And to anybody reading, thank you. The Netrunner community remains wonderful, full of engaging people that I legitimately haven't seen in other tabletop games. I can count on one hand the number of mouth-breathing scumlords that give so many hobby games a bad name. And I've seen a community that embraces the values the US has been trying to tear out of itself. If you're wondering if you should go to an event, believe me, you should.

Good runs all,
Nick

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 6, 2017

• Locked thread