Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
D.B. Cooper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Media presence and visibility. Magic made a big push starting around 2010 to revitalize Friday Night Magic -- pushing it to be far more approachable than other kinds of "organized play." There isn't an expectation that an FNM player needs to be running a perfect deck, or even be knife-sharp familiar with everything in the game. FFG's Game Night kits occupy a nebulous space of competitiveness, and frequently get put in their pyramid of events as a step towards Regionals and higher -- they don't need to be.

Second, even a modest YouTube series in the vein of MtG's "Spellslingers" would do wonders for approachability. That series took players from all levels, showed off different decks at simple, but not stripped down levels of play. It's kind of surprising to see FFG not copy that show's model for any of their games like X-Wing or Destiny even.

With regards to women, (and non-white dudes across the hobby more broadly), there's a theory of critical mass. Basically, when 30% of a space represents a group, it becomes self-sustaining. Here in St Louis, I worked with one of our locals to get a Lady Netrunner's night going at her shop. (Obviously, I couldn't personally take the lead on that.) It's still going for what that's worth.

But organizing takes loving work, it burned me out for a good long while. I'm playing Terminal Directive tomorrow, but I don't want to describe myself as back by any stretch. If that organizing isn't driven by FFG then shops often only want to if they're deeply invested in it. If it's driven by the players, then the game has to be putting forward good gameplay. Clawing back the game from the degeneracy it experienced, and it absolutely did drop in quality as prison and non-interaction decks took over, is happening, but it's fallacious to suggest that's a panacea when there are other things that must be broached as well.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

So I stream NetRunner weekly on Wednesdays at 7pm Eastern at twitch.tv/sofajusticewarriors

I'm one of your regulars (SnowB0und over on Twitch), just wanted to let you know I enjoy the stream, you have a pretty good set up for it.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Flashbang is expensive as hell but I think its a clever way to do an icebreaker. Leave No Trace seems powerful.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
A little bit of good news, it looks like Fantasy Flight is using a lottery system for World's seats this year so it won't be reliant on having a 0-ping and getting lucky to reserve a seat.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Regionals still awards a seat to winners just as it has for all their games in previous years. The lottery seats are for the open seats they make available, as they have for all their other systems. I'll agree that there's plenty of reason for FFG to establish something like Magic's Pro Points or whatever Hearthstone uses. But they have always had open-sale of seats to World's which have previously been in woefully inadequate first-come-first-serve sales.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
:toot:

(I'll have more thoughts when I have time to read and process it, but I've been on this side for a long time and still earnestly believe its the best move for a game that never anticipated developing in the ways that it did.)

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Kaethela posted:

The thread title is more accurate than ever!

For that matter though, a Curtain Wall is super approachable it's just nearly impenetrable. You can bounce off it all day. "More impenetrable than a curtain wall" is fine, or "More unapproachable than Ichi 1.0" works too I guess. Sorry, had to get that of my chest. It's been bugging me since we moved to this thread.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
World’s Top 8 gets some Etsy-lookin’ wood boxes this year for tokens. Still, I guess it’s an upgrade over previous years. I really don’t know if there should be cash prizes for Premier events. I think there’s audience enough to support it if Asmodee wanted to.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/world-championships/nov/prizes/

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
At the risk of being an apologist for FFG, there are some legitimate printing reasons for not including 3x everything in the core set (ie Core has the most cards and the longest print runs so at some point they are saving print costs by keeping the number of sheets of cards down.

But their line that "People wouldn't buy completion sets" is hot frothy poop and always has been.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
You know you can play online right? Speaking of which, somebody should get a league going again...

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

berenzen posted:

I did a thing.

Jinteki League 3.0 is now live.

Thanks for running the show this time friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
The Revised Core Set release announcement has been posted by FFG. This is the product to get if you want to play the game a little, or take a plunge to get more involved.

• Locked thread