Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm thinking about teaching someone to play this game. Is there still a list of some starter decks that are good for that? Basically cover the fundamentals but not janky and cause people to glaze over with rules or weird janky mechanics? Also reasonably good matchups (so not one side stomping the other). I want it to make a good first impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Check the OP for two decks designed to play fair, teach basic game concepts and strategy, and buildable out of just 1 starter.

Ahh cool thanks.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Someone last page linked the runthenet article about a set of 6 teaching decks which are generally well-balanced against each other, if perhaps a little more complicated than you'd want.

Zephro posted:

One of the recent episodes of Run Last Click has a bunch of starter decks made out of a single core plus either four datapacks or two packs and a big box. They're explicitly designed for people just getting started and who don't want to drop £500 straight away.

If you have access to the entire card pool then Abram Jopp (aka TheBigBoy) has a list of teaching decks on his blog too.

Sweet thanks. I have pretty much the entire pool short a few of the recent datapacks.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Does anyone know two decks that play well against each other but not learner decks? I'm trying to teach someone to play after using the some learners and want to move on to more complicated (but not TOO crazy) stuff but she is frustrated because she feels that the decks I made aren't balanced against each other. I grabbed them off stimhack (and got ones that were around at the same meta) since they looked ok but I understand that this can definitely be the case where one deck is designed to be powerful against another.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cool thanks! The ones I had before were fine for learning terminology and the rules but were pretty trash decks for anything past that.

Question though what does a criminal do if their one barrier breaker gets destroyed by an Archer or something? Are they just hosed? I don't play that faction much.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 26, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah looking over those teaching decks the Wayland one versus the criminal seems like you would have to be extremely clear upfront to tell the runner player to never run on unrezzed ice if the corp had any agendas scored and they did not have their switchblade. If that corroder is lost the game is probably over with so many cheap barriers. It's probably a good thing to learn though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I hope Core 2.0 is "buy two boxes and get everything" instead of the stupid way they did the original where there were like 2 cards you had to buy the third box for.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

Maybe even buy one box and get everything...

I mean yeah that would be ideal but Fantasy Flight seems fundemenatlly opposed to that idea sadly.

Midjack posted:

The draft packs flopped pretty badly; I doubt the same idea but with alt arts would do any better.

Expensive draft packs you use one time and then the cards are worthless since you already have them and can't count on the random factor to fill out the holes from datapacks you missed was silly. It's not like there's a Friday night Netrunner where you get prize support from doing well at draft play. A better way would have been to release the draft starters then some sort of app that generated a cube or something instead of sticking stores with draft packs that sit on the shelves forever.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ZorajitZorajit posted:

On the same not, I'm actually fine with the way FFG does core sets. Yes, I would love if they did completion sets, but they have repeatedly stressed that a significant portion of the player base does not buy 3x Core + Everything. Making the game approachable by buying one box is a significant portion of the model, even if those players aren't on every ANR message board they can find and listening to three podcasts a week.

While I would like everything in one box I'm fine with having to get two. However the third box for Netrunner to get just two cards (Desperado and Sansan) is kinda hosed up and wasteful.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah people say the same thing every time a new Warhammer edition drops where they'll just play old stuff and then it doesn't really happen. If you have a few friends that you play with predominantly that's one thing but in general people are going to only play current releases.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The art is all stolen from existing cards.

Fantasy Flight does this a bunch and I hate it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That's ... a big downer. This is kinda reminding me of people talking about Doomtown (I didn't pay much attention to that game after one expansion so I don't know how close the parallels really are) and how it collapsed.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

A card that much of an auto include seems like a bad thing to have hanging over your head before the new core set drops. I guess stuff rotates out so slowly that doesn't really factor in i get the feeling pretty much everyone is going to be unhappy with that being something that exists both because you have to play around it but also because of the implications of where the game is going in terms of design.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The one influence on that card makes me think it's less of an "Anarchs are the best" card and more just bad overall design in general card since everyone is supposed to be using it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

With the lead designer gone I think now might be time for FF to start planning a total reset like they did with GoT and get some new people that know what they are doing (not saying the old guy didn't but it seems like they are adrift without a lead right now) but I'm not sure how well that would go over.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I dunno. When I went to Friday night magic, depending on the store there would usually be at least 1 female player and sometimes as many as 25% of the people there would be girls or women. With Netrunner I've seen exactly one and that was at a tournament where her husband spent a lot of the time making passive aggressive put downs directed at her. In my area the game is basically dead so maybe that has something to do with it but it doesn't seem to have a lot of female players for whatever reason so I don't know how inclusive it really is.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 5, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Netrunner has a few problems for beginners. The first is that it's fairly complicated and has a lot of nuances to the run and a lot of stuff that isn't immediately obvious. It also has a ton of traps that can kill new players from seemingly out of nowhere. The amount of knowledge of individual cards you have to have in order to really understand how to play and have a good match is considerable. I've tried teaching it to a few people and it's difficult because they feel a lot of stuff is unbalanced because they don't understand how it all work as a package. Even after explaining how they are supposed to play around certain things they felt a lot of the elements were confusing or that they didn't have a chance once the corp build up a huge defense (meaning they should have been putting on more pressure) or the runner just slips through all their ICE. Games like Magic and Hearthstone not being asymmetrical are a lot easier for people to see how the parts work.

The biggest issue though is the price. It's now absurdly expensive to get into the game. I've gotten some people past the initial hump of learning the basics and then when they see the price tag on building current decks they decide they aren't that interested. The idea behind the format of buying the data packs was good as opposed to Magic but now it's more expensive to get into the game and the cards have very limited resale value and a tiny community to use them in.

I really, really like the game and theme but it just feels like they have to reset something since there's such a huge barrier to entry at this point and there's not this Friday Night magic push to get it going. A year or so ago a few stores tried to do Fantasy Flight nights and they all died within a few months from lack of interest. I think it needs some way to get new players in also without the caveat that they will have to buy three base sets to get all the competitive cards.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 6, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This is the wrongest thing on the last page. Netrunner is absurdly cheap, even without going on Craiglist/any of a billion trade sites/hell even Facebook, there's always someone selling out for 50% of retail, and the cost of every card ever printed in NetRunner is still less than the MSRP on 1 booster box of Eternal Masters, from which you can play 1 draft.

NetRunner and LCGs in general may be expensive compared to board games (though even this is suspect, at $60 a pop for a game you maybe play 3 times ever because everyone keeps cancelling on you/wanting to play something new), but they are loving free compared to Magic.

Magic isn't cheap but Netrunner is expensive when you factor in it has no resale value. The game isn't designed around the second hand market so you are only getting lots from people that have given up the game. I'm not sure why you are comparing Netrunner to an eternal masters draft, that's like the most apples and oranges comparison since no regular person one is doing those consistently. Part of the reason that box is so expensive is because there's the chance you'll get cards that have big value. With Netrunner if you want it cheap you are buying everything second hand, meaning you are not going to have access to datapacks until someone decides they don't want to play anymore. That's also ignoring that you can pay $15 to play a Magic draft and potentially make your money back from prizes or luck into a card you can sell. You may even use those cards in some deck or trade them for stuff you want after playing the game. Even if you come out with nothing you've had an evening of gaming for very little investment; as you say cheaper than a $60 board game you play one time. Netrunner doesn't have that cheap entry point. The only local store near me that even tried to run Netrunner drafts gave up because the owner said she was losing money on it.

Also part of my point is that while both games are expensive, one has a much bigger audience with events everywhere and every week so finding games is easier and you can justify the cost better. I have spent a bunch of money on this game but I really would be fine if they cycled out cards more regularly while slowed down releases since it would allow people to get in more easily as opposed to having to either dump a ton of money upfront or hope they can find someone selling their collection. I'm not saying that Magic is affordable if you want to go all in (I agree it's very expensive) but I think Netrunner is way too pricey for many new people to get into since the cards you needs are so spaced out in a ton of datapacks, especially when the community to play it in is much more limited (which sucks since I'd love to play it more).

Zephro posted:

The other problem with the World Champ decks is that, by definition, they're the acme of powergaming and powergaming is often degenerate. If my only experience with Netrunner was Val DLR (which was the 2015 Runner deck) then I probably wouldn't be at all keen to buy into the game.

Yeah I agree. I bought those with the idea of using them to teach my girlfriend how to play and they look fun to me, but then luckily realized that they were not good learner decks at all. I'm glad they sell them since I like the idea but they aren't for beginners.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 6, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Reina Roja is the default Anarch all is right with the world.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Once this new starter hits, what will be the allowed cards? I've fallen out of this game since the playerbase here is nonexistent but if it's a small enough pool I could maybe convince my girlfriend to give it another shot. If it's just everything except the cards removed from the old starter I'll probably not be very lucky.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I guess that's a good point.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yog just can't catch a break in any card game.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm excited to see Reina's new art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought Anarch was pretty weak up until around Order and Chaos where they went crazy. I remember the theme was basically you could get their best cards for little influence into other faction decks.

• Locked thread