Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm getting the new Plus because I love the idea of the new camera setup.

I take pictures of the sunset several times a week and the low light camera on my current 6+ is not accurate.

The headphone thing sucks though because I use 3.5mm headphones like 5 days a week, but it shouldn't be a big deal. You can control music on your phone through the Apple Watch, so I'll just keep the phone in my pocket with the 3.5mm adapter, and control it from the wrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Sue posted:

OK, I think I'm ready to move on from my iPhone 4.

That 7+ in black looks so smooth and nice.

I'm trying to imagine what you look like and what kind of daily activities you partake in. Do you use one of those really tall bicycles with the super huge front wheel?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

cowofwar posted:

There's no reason to get an Apple Watch.

Actually there is. It's just not for people who view it as a standalone tech device for nerds.

It's pretty simple really... if watches are something that you wear for fashion, then the Apple Watch has tons of great bands, looks cool, and has extra features that make your day more convenient like notifications, watch OS3 third party complications, occasionally answering your phone from your wrist if you're in the right place for it, having handy access and alerts for your calendar, etc. this is enough to get the watch if you're that kind of person.

If you exercise a lot, this may also be enough of a reason to get a Watch. The tracking is very good.

If you like fashion and you exercise, then grats, you're the prime market.

If you don't care about fashion and don't care about the exercise features, then yes, the watch is terrible from a tech standpoint and probably won't be useful for you for at least 2-3 years.

It's just kind of idiotic to say that there's no reason to get the Watch. The product category is different, which confuses the nerdy people that new tech is usually for, but don't confuse that for uselessness.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Apparently the phones go up for preorder on Friday- does that mean midnight on Thursday like it did for the 6 launch?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Rabble posted:

Apple in TYOOL 2016 can't even beat Spotify at their own game and managed to ruin their music app in the process.

This is not true at all. Apple Music has been making huge gains this year and is growing way faster than Spotify. This is partially due to the exclusive paid agreements that they're signing with the most anticipated artist releases.

Spotify is actually hosed long term because they need to make a profit. Apple Music doesn't give a flying gently caress about making a profit because Apple Music is basically an incentive to tie into the Apple ecosystem. Maybe one day it will be expected to make a profit, but they have way more important uses for the service in the meantime.

Apple will likely prevail here through nothing more than iteration over time combined with the fact that they don't need to care about money for the foreseeable future.

I'm a Spotify guy so I'm not trying to suck Apple's dick here... I just see the writing on the wall.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

TBeats posted:

"My 8 year old nephew is growing faster than me" is a comparable analogy to Apple Music growing faster than Spotify.

Actually you're wrong, sorry. Apple has infinite money, their footprint is very large considering the age of their service, and they have the small advantage of not having to make money ever, versus Spotify which is a standalone business that needs to generate revenue (and doesn't btw. They still lose money).

Hmm I wonder who will prevail

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

12:01AM pacific time Friday morning, but chances are you won't be able to get in to the system until about 12:15. 3 AM for us on the right coast

Thank you. Last time Verizon actually put up the preorders before midnight- maybe 20 mins early. I'm sure it varies between providers.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Linx posted:

How difficult is it to get a preorder in as soon as it goes live? This will be my first time doing so and I'm afraid of getting hosed by my banks over-zealous fraud prevention that seems to trigger with any online transaction above £300, requiring me to respond "YES" to an automated text asking if I made the purchase. This would be all well and good if their backend actually sent out the loving texts with above a 5% chance of success

Well I'm in the USA but it was super easy for me last time.

I can't speak for your banking industry specifically but you can typically call the bank and let them know of a big pending purchase. They will temporarily raise the limit for you or disable the protection for 24 hours. I highly suggest you at least try to do this if it's a big concern.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Athletic Footjob posted:

How many of those subscribers are taking advantage of the heavy discounting that Spotify does, I wonder? I routinely see 3 months for 99c/€0.99/99p. At least Apple is honest with what they charge and their introductory trial. Spotify doesn't know how to make a profit from "39 million" paid subscribers.

Only a portion of those are paid, the rest are ad supported (which is to say, not supported, since they lose money).

Spotify is looking to start loving with its free base soon in the form of gating new releases:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7971771e-72c0-11e6-bf48-b372cdb1043a.html?siteedition=intl

They're clearly going to continue messing with their free listeners as time goes on. The model itself simply doesn't work. They have to start offering more incentive to convert to paid.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

TBeats posted:

that's 39 million paid subscribers.

counting free users, there are about 100 million spofity users

Mea culpa.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

ive had spotify premium for like 3 years now but when the mood strikes and i wanna listen to taylor swift...:negative:

This is me in a nutshell. It sucks but we shouldn't blame Spotify, that's Tay being kind of a bitch.

I am kind of a Spotify evangelist. I pay for Spotify for me, my gf, a friend, and my parents. Spotify dynamic playlists and Discover Weekly are loving great.

Does Apple Music have anything similar? Also does Apple Music have lyrics? I got real mad when Spotify removed their lyrics option.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The whole color thing is a scam anyways who doesn't use a case?

I have a friend who works for Apple corporate, he started using his 6+ without a case. I said hey, you're loving retarded and you're going to break that thing in two seconds what the hell is wrong with you.

He broke it like 3 days later and got a new one right away so I wouldn't notice, but it was a corp unit so it has a numerical code burned in at the bottom in tiny print which was immediately noticable. Think I wouldn't notice bitch??

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The camera is the #1 reason I'm upgrading to the 7+ and it's not even close.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Verizon people may want to check their ship dates. my 7+ jet black 128 was due to ship 11/06 but got updated to 10/12.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

My Verizon Jet Black 128gb 7+ that was scheduled for the 12th just billed me. Does that mean it's shipping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah my phone shipped actually. Nice! The original ETA was in November.

• Locked thread