Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If history is any indication what price the 6s is likely to be by tomorrow night (or whenever the drop goes into effect)? If it's the last iPhone with a 3.5mm jack my guess is "exactly the same".

I ask because my current phone's screen is broken and the 6s is more than enough phone for me but both it and the SE are ridiculously overpriced for what I would give up.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's already $450CAD on a 2yr deal but haha gently caress that.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
lol at calling the removal of a proven, ubiquitous technology in a naked cash grab "courage" and lol at anyone who buys it

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

logikv9 posted:

also a hearty "lol no" to anybody who thinks they will ever switch to usb C for the iPhone anytime soon. they must make bank off all their specific accessories and their certification program.
Seriously. While lightning is a slightly better connector design than USB-C (the most fragile part of the connector is on the cable rather than the device), Apple has always ridden their pet standards right into the ground like when they finally had to switch iPods off firewire. Frankly I'm surprised the lovely MacBook got USB-C instead of lightning.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Calaveron posted:

So the ipod is dead huh
As in not available on the Apple site anymore?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Daisy chain protocol means that you can add another cable and achieve throughput if the device has a supported female input. In order for a dongle to have multiple female pieces, it would have to be engineered such that it would have to take data and feed it back up and through the original device and into the main port on the iPhone because the dongle itself cannot aggregate it (hub protocol).

There most likely thing we'll see is a headphone with a female lightning input on both sides and which comes with a male to male cable so you can rearrange it as you please and also plug in a charging cable into the unused port.
Another pain point is that each device in the chain needs a controller chip unless Lightning somehow takes care of all of that at the root (doubtful given that I haven't even seen Lightning chains longer than one device). Device manufacturers like hub protocols like USB because the root takes care of all the communication between peripherals and therefore reduce costs. It's the same reason Firewire died out despite having superior performance and power delivery.

Housh posted:

Like it or not people make a living using social media. Better cameras in these devices are a major selling point for these professionals as trivial as it may seem.
The camera is not the bottleneck for social media posts.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 8, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bill Barber posted:

No headphone jack is good. Anyone who tries to argue otherwise is an idiot.
dude you don't have to bend THAT far to take it in the rear end from your phone manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Michael Scott posted:

Obviously very low. A greater proportion do use the charger and earpods simultaneously, but that's still a small percentage. And a Y-adapter will suffice for that I think?
Covered already but no, Lightning is a chain protocol and every device in the line except the one at the end needs a controller chip and both male and female cabling.

• Locked thread