Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

I thought you had to do it in store to trade the phone in.

Will some one who did the upgrade program tell us exactly how it works?

I set up a reservation online to upgrade my 6S (that was on the Apple Upgrade Program) to a 7. Came to the store, they confirmed my eligibility (via serial / IMEI), wiped my old device, had me sign a bunch of paperwork, and gave me my new phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

How did you set up the reservation? Did you like go to this page? https://secure2.store.apple.com/shop/eligibility/checkUpgradeEligibility then it let you pick a phone? Did you do this at 2am?

Yes, that page is where I went. After punching in all that info and confirmed I was eligible, it let me pick a carrier / phone / size / color for pickup.

I forgot about reserving at midnight so I did it the following morning and still got a release date pickup. It was a matte black 7 128gb. I tried to get my wife's desired combo (matte black 7+ 128gb) and that was a "lol you're waiting 2-3 weeks good luck."

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

You paid 12 months of payments, so ~$450, to use a phone for 6 months. Is that correct?

No, I paid ~500 (including upfront taxes) to use the 6S for a year. At the trade in, it shows that the remainder loan amount was paid off for the 6S loan and a new loan was started for the 7.

For my old 64gb 6S / new 128gb 7 the payment was identical.
$96.50 first payment (upfront taxes and first month loan payment).
$36.58 per month afterwards.

It also did a hard credit pull for the new loan. Doesn't bother me too much but I think that might be a deal breaker for some people.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Three Olives posted:

That both makes sense and doesn't make sense. I guess they are treating it like a installment loan? How does it show up on your credit report?

When I bought my phone with AT&T NEXT they didn't even do a soft credit check which seems fair enough since I have been a customer for over a decade with a perfect payment history of even bills of hundreds of dollars from overseas travels but when I renewed my electricity contract they asked permission to do a soft credit check to see if "I would owe a deposit" even though I had been a customer for over a year with a perfect payment history, it was a contract renewal and I didn't have to pay a deposit the first time and my bill was actually going to be lower with the new contract.

Actually my AT&T phone loan doesn't even show up on my credit report at all, I guess the big difference is AT&T is self-financing and probably trusts their own data more than credit reporting agencies for loyal customers and Apple is financing through a third party bank?

ACTUALLY it looks like I hosed up and the hard credit pull was for my wife's 7+, which we started a new AUP. Whoops.

And it shows up in my credit report as a credit inquiry, but does not show up as any type of loan.

• Locked thread