Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

£699 in the U.K. For a 128gb one. What the heck

That's $1202 CAD which is approximately what I paid for an unlocked 64GB 6S so... Pretty much in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Housh posted:

God knows how much the poo poo will cost in CAD but I'm thinking of going with a 256GB Plus.

Downpayment on a Vancouver detached

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Housh posted:

So $1,309.00 + HST?

Per square foot.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Rabble posted:

Did they happen to explain if you can charge your phone while listening to music using the included lightining EarBuds or headphone adapter?

They did not announce wireless charging. Also, the included Lightning adapter for the 3.5mm TRRS they showed did not seem to include a passthrough, it was just 1 male Lightning to 1 female 3.5mm TRRS.

They will probably have a breakout adapter, but you'll be paying for it. Thanks, Obama.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

frogbs posted:

I like that part of the justification for wireless was that the jack takes up too much space, yet they still had to cram a proprietary IC in there just for their own wireless headphone protocol.

Also, a headphone plug can rotate in place, while a lightning cable doesn't have close to the same range of flexibility. Looking forward to broken ports and cables soon!

Well the Bluetooth audio chip has been in there for a while re: point 1, but re: point 2 I think you may have a point. I also think they may have a point that it frees up internal space and people who need it get the adapter with the phone for "free". It's still stupid and lovely, but when you think about internal space.... yeah, it is quite an intrusion, and makes it more difficult to weather-proof... but I still disagree with the move. Still, there are good arguments on each side and *sigh* the entire Internet is going to be arguing about this poo poo for months. Just wait til the dust settles...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

prom candy posted:

I just realized that the headphones that come with your new iphone are incompatible with your apple computer. What the hell are they thinking.

Oh, ha, I didn't think of that. That's funny.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Rick Sanchez posted:

3.5mm to Lighting adapter will be available for individual sale for $9

It's Lightning male to 3.5mm female, not the other way around.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Haha so you have to plug a dongle into a dongle

gg no re Apple

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Teh gf got her (not jet) black iPhone 7 from Bell Canada delivered today.

My typical advice of "preorder and you'll get it on release day" still held up, at least for her.

Sucks for all the goons stuck in a queue. I'm interested in playing with it. Seeing how "snappy" it is. Will see when she gets home with it. I can get one for like 300 bucks but I don't see any problems with my 6S and plan on keeping it for another year at least, maybe more. But she was on a 5.

Also for some reason Koodo wouldn't even let me select anything but a 32gb iP7 when I was looking at the prices, they didn't even have anything else listed, what's with that robodex, Koodo is Telus! There seems to be no way for me to get the 7+ of any kind on the tab with Koodo.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

UPS Canada will deliver you a notice on your tracking number that you have to go pick it up in some warehouse on the edge of even our biggest cities and then when you get there you have to wait in line for an hour or two until they find it and then, if the warehouse was even near public transit, it's not running anymore. gently caress UPS. FedEx isn't any better, neither is Purolator.

Thank the lord I have a concierge that'll take deliveries for me these days because dealing with that poo poo for years was loving insane. Have I said gently caress enough? gently caress 'em all.

I know people like to hate on Canada Post, but at least they hold the packages somewhere near you. I mean the worst was I had to walk a few blocks north to another post office because no one at CP knew where my package was so I had to go on a hunt. Certainly not as crazy as going out to where the couriers' warehouses/depots are.

I once had to take a FedEx package when I was living in Kitchener/Waterloo and they refused to attempt delivery again so I had to go to their place which was in an industrial park in Cambridge that was COMPLETELY unserved by public transit, I somehow made it there thanks to a friend but jesus christ man, if not for him what would I have done? Couriers in Canada suck, just like our telecoms.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you have a 6 or a 6S you're gonna get really bored with the 7 in a day or two. It's more or less the same. It's faster, but not for everyday tasks. The speakers are better, but who uses the iPhone speakers anyway? There's one less headphone jack and a hell of a lot more waterproofing. It's lighter, I think, feels good in the hand, but you're gonna put a case on it anyway. The haptic Home button is cool but from a tech standpoint, not that it changes the way you use it. Oh, the camera's low-light performance is fantastic, but so was the 6S's.

Dunno, got to play with my SO's for a bit, it feels exactly like my 6S. Dunno why people are so excited to upgrade. Unless you're coming from a 5 it's more of the same. 5S - eh, wait another year for the 7S.

Just my 2 cents after getting to play with it at home a bit. You can wait for your package! It'll be fine, just breathe.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

3D touch is one of those things that is REALLY cool when you first play with it, and you think "I'm going to use this every day!" and then a week later you forget it even exists.

My SO upgraded from a 5 and it took me like 24hr of watching her explore her new phone to even remember to tell her what she can do with it. She really likes moving the cursor around by 3D touching the keyboard, but 'meh' about pretty much everything else. I always thought being able to 3D touch the Camera app was cool so I could quickly switch to the camera mode I wanted but... really, how often do any of you use that?

Gotta say tho, she's right, I do quite enjoy moving the cursor with 3D touch and still use it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

Where can I find a list of this wacky Apple poo poo that no one would ever find unless told about it?

Seriously. I read everything Apple and watch the keynotes live and I had no loving idea.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ITT: Airplanes are cool, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

If I missed delivery, should I be expecting a retry tomorrow? Deliveries is saying Monday but I'm not seeing that on the UPS site anywhere. P sure UPS delivers on saturdays.

Do you have a car? Just call them and go pick it up at the warehouse. Tonight.

Otherwise UPS will retry on the next business day IIRC. Didn't even know weekend delivery was a thing, you Americans are spoiled.

• Locked thread