Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Quorum posted:

Yep that was my error sorry!

PS I am more than happy to receive the demands/entreaties/weird political rants of Delmarvanc goons. But I've already got a small list of regional priorities off the bat; can anyone say DC statehood? :unsmigghh:

While we're at it, why not Samoa, Guam, Mariana, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and Navaho? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Solkanar512 posted:

Totally interested in being an alternate for Cascadia, but I'm certain Seiferguy has our best, teriyaki infused interests at heart.

Be my alternate for the week that I'm gone!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

It's New York's domain. Yell at Xiahao Dun

but it's literally IN new england! This will not stand, New England delegation's first order of business is to fix this outrage.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This are not the final positions of apalachia, they're merely reflective of preferences of the Delegate from Apalachia, a region suffering from unemployment, natural disasters, and rife for being deligated by a beloved populist. He may have been recovering from a hangover while typing this position paper.

1) Executive branch needs a strong leader president and a figurehead appointed by the legislature to remind the strong leader president that the legislature still signs the checks.

2) Legislative branch needs to be increased in houses and numbers. There's a lot of work to do and a lot of people to representin different ways. This also needs to expand downwards to the state govts too re: making sure people are represented in their state govts and able to influence the affairs of their community and the state. Technically this isn't a contradiction or a paradox!

3) Judicial branch was fine as it was. Maybe tie increases to the court system to changes in the population?

4) There's a gentlemans agreement to not discuss states rights and responsibilities to eachother at this time.

5) Amendment process is working!

6) Gentleman's agreement to keep hands off religion. News needs to be seperate from infotainment again. The state shouldn't fund the arts or protests at all but it should be funding museums and parks and other places where people can get together and talk and exercise freedoms.

7) National standards for police is vital to ensure continuity in law enforcement in the aftermath of a disaster. Community policing and a strong local presence in police activities is vital to maintaining trust in the community between its officers and the citizenry. Technically this isn't a contradiction or a paradox!

8) Ending gerrymandering and the ERA would probably help a lot with civil rights but the latter will be a tough sell, so I'll I'll have someone send suggestions thru a back channel, I'l need kickbacks to soften the blow, and I'll probably make symbolic votes against things that were destined to pass in the name of looking like Im doing my job.

9) There's a gentlemans agreement to not discuss government procedures at this time. Unless it involves disaster response, building infrastructure, strong national defense, increasing trade while protecting jobs, and stopping the earth from waging its campaign of destruction against our great region! This will not be difficult.

10) Personally I love the idea of increased states or representation to the united states terrirotires or the native territories. Officially I'm not opposed but will need a kickback to win the support of the population.

11) People want social mobility again so wealth needs to be distributed differently. People don't want tax increases becasue they percieve them as unfair, but that can lead to cycles where people can keep acruing more money without spending it and blah blah blah. So...this'll be a tough one.

12) I picked this as my campaign song as a joke back in my first campaign and it stuck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89z2b1hJ9TI

13) Yes, I know Jack Oswald was born in Lousiana but he killed JFK in Texas so by the transitive property that means he's Texas's greatest shame. Not ours!

Edit:

14) If we get mroe states and we get them then I call dibs!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Just for clarification, how silly/serious are we shooting for? I don't want to post serious policy while someone else posts dick butt or vice versa.

Also please PM me! I like ideas!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Im going for serious American politics, so ...

2016 national election? :D

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Cat_Herder! As one of your delegates I demand more money for blowing things up in the NCR. We have all the missile and bomb ranges!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Olothreutes posted:

Cat_Herder! As one of your delegates I demand more money for blowing things up in the NCR. We have all the missile and bomb ranges!

I support a 'bigger guns' platform, and recommend nuclear weapons research immediately.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Out of character: I want to treat this irreverently outwardly using the demands of the region and my delegates personality as cover.

Behind the scenes I really want to make sure that we develop a system that could work.

Like lets say someone proposes nationalizing the power grid. A lot of parts of that are good ideas! But in different places that's run into different problems ranging from complete disregard to the environment to gross inefficiencies to lack of innovation. Also, so many things have gone wrong when people decided to denationalize. So what gets fully nationalized, what gets partially nationalized, what can stay private, what mechanisms will we put in place for further nationalization/denationalization?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basically, I was shooting for "as serious as we can be," treat this as if you were representing a voting bloc in a real constitutional convention (whatever that means).

OF NOTE!
-You can't exactly re-write laws; that's the legislative branch's job. You're just here to ensure the powers to do it, and to maybe outline some things that are necessary and proper, like say "the government should run the postal service" or "copywright should exist" (things that are there now - but maybe we should take a look at!)

I'm expecting some of you to show up with "full communism now" platforms, to which I ask: are you sure your constituent states and donors want full communism now?

Also, you are heavily encouraged to pander, drink mint juleps and/or attack each other on the floor with canes.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

OP, when you have enough platforms can we expect a weekly agenda to argue over? ie

Week 1, healthcare
week 2, energy

etc? I want to know what to trade votes for :D

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Loel posted:

OP, when you have enough platforms can we expect a weekly agenda to argue over? ie

Week 1, healthcare
week 2, energy

etc? I want to know what to trade votes for :D

Yes. On September 12th, the first week's debates will put two (possibly more) items on the floor. Six days of negotiation, then a vote. September 19th, two new items. Repeat until we have a functioning constitution.

If anyone wants to take a stab at a new Preamble, go nuts. "We The People..." doesn't really sing; what about "We the Corporations..."?

RandomPauI posted:

This are not the final positions of apalachia, they're merely reflective of preferences of the Delegate from Apalachia, a region suffering from unemployment, natural disasters, and rife for being deligated by a beloved populist. He may have been recovering from a hangover while typing this position paper.

1) Executive branch needs a strong leader president and a figurehead appointed by the legislature to remind the strong leader president that the legislature still signs the checks.

Are you suggesting a shadow-president appointed by the House to sternly grunt and shake his/her head "no" whenever the president's about to sign a law?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Yes. On September 12th, the first week's debates will put two (possibly more) items on the floor. Six days of negotiation, then a vote. September 19th, two new items. Repeat until we have a functioning constitution.

Sept 12 is so far away :v: Want to give us a teaser? Fishing rights, anything.

quote:

If anyone wants to take a stab at a new Preamble, go nuts. "We The People..." doesn't really sing; what about "We the Corporations..."?
Are you suggesting a shadow-president appointed by the House to sternly grunt and shake his/her head "no" whenever the president's about to sign a law?

Sounds like a Prime Minister, dual heads of state.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
We, the Whisky Sour Consumers...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

We, the Accelerationists ...

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Also, you are heavily encouraged to pander, drink mint juleps and/or attack each other on the floor with canes.

I currently reside in the town named after the most honourable Senator Brooks. I fell I will be more than capable of obligin' your request.

Also, We the good and honest folk of the republic... has a wonderful ring to it. :v:

Edit: Also, guns are good. We want more guns.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 4, 2016

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
As a native of the NCR (for the record Idahoans would burn the state to the ground before they'd willingly be part of anything that had California in the name) we need to devolve land ownership to the states/regions. None of this federalized nonsense, local ranchers, frackers, farmers, hunters, strip mining concerns, logging corporations, and campers know what's best for the great outdoors.

(Seriously, each and every state in the NCR has a reason to attempt to grab control of the land, and since we're in a situation where this dumb poo poo is possible we'd sell our children's children if it meant we got to control what is currently federal land.)

Peztopiary fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 4, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Elmnt80 posted:

I currently reside in the town named after the most honourable Senator Brooks. I fell I will be more than capable of obligin' your request.

Also, We the good and honest folk of the republic... has a wonderful ring to it. :v:

Edit: Also, guns are good. We want more guns.

Tejas supports more guns.

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 5, 2016

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah....

I gotta be realistic and guns are something NYC will always vote against.

(I'm on a phone and will do a policy post similar to RandomPaul's next time I'm by a computer. Probably either tomorrow or Tuesday. Until then, any of my constituents are welcome to PM me or use my bullshit cut-out e-mail xiahoudunsa@gmail : that forwards to my real e-mail so I might not respond but I'll definitely read it.)

Is it weird that I'm super excited about this? This sounds really cool!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Peztopiary posted:

As a native of the NCR (for the record Idahoans would burn the state to the ground before they'd willingly be part of anything that had California in the name) we need to devolve land ownership to the states/regions. None of this federalized nonsense, local ranchers, frackers,[/s, farmers, hunters, [s]strip mining concerns, logging corporations, and campers know what's best for the great outdoors.

(Seriously, each and every state in the NCR has a reason to attempt to grab control of the land, and since we're in a situation where this dumb poo poo is possible we'd sell our children's children if it meant we got to control what is currently federal land.)

Appalachia looked into the costs of the states taking care of the disaster response obligations if we redeveloped the lands, what happens if we assumed state ownership, reverted to local ownership, or private ownership. After taking all the real and potential problems into account the numbers didn't look good. So we tried to figure out a way to get the feds to pick up most of the tab without the feds owning the land and that just isn't realistic. So we're inclined to leave things as they are for pragmatic reasons outside of increased federal ownership of recurring natural disaster sites that just happen to be expensive for the state to take care of.

Edit: OOC Appalachia delegation is nominally in support of guns but if we can backdoor a way for increased arms control measures I won't be as fervently opposed to them. Then I will be shocked, shocked that the federal government overstepped its bounds after I acted in good faith!

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 4, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Any Cascadian delegate proposing to stay in the Union is a fake. I am the real delegate

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

quote:

5, plus tiebreaker 45%
6/10 27%
7/10 27%
8/10 0%

Looks like we'll be seeing a lot of changes :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

OOC: Before we get more into this, I'll leave this up to yall (DAZ has the option to overrule this ofc since its their show) on how you want me to play the south. I'm leaning towards acting like a george bush style "compassionate conservative" given SC is also in my bloc now. A full 1960's George Wallace is also a possibility given this is a south and a populist shitheel running on racism has been shown to do well here. Once this is decided, I'll figure out policies.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 4, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Im assuming I've had a hispanic Democratic wave in Tejas, so I'll be 'Tejas liberal.'

Yes guns, but maybe some healthcare too.

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 5, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The first thing we'll have to settle is how broadly written the constitution will be. For the sake of our sanity I'm going to appeal to it being written broadly with the delegates having the option of stating their intents and desires at the time.

Also, these are the rough forms of what I plan on introducing first. They do not look pretty, they are not the final proposals.

---

Issue 1, draft 1: Tri-cameral legislature

Want the govt to more closely match US demographically but don't want to do a quota for all of govt.

Want designated 3rd party to review and comment on legislation before it can go before house/senate.

Speaking of parties, want a way for third parties to be more viably nationally. Have plan that'll make them more viable locally but still...

So create a third chamber.

Problem: don't want them to actually propose and pass permanent laws in case of extreme and temporary ideological swings.

Solution: Limit ability to actually propose and vote on legislation.

1) Create an advisory council that matches demographic and ideological makeup of US
2) Elected every 2 years
3) Standing committees to review house and senate legislation and make comments
4) Reconcile house and senate bills
5) Appoint a special adviser to house to propose legislation on their behalf
6) Appoint a special adviser to the senate to propose legislation on their behalf
7) Appoint a special adviser to the presidents cabinet to remind him "of the needs of all the people".

----

Issue 2, draft 1: Changes to how individuals represented in local, state, territorial, fed govt.

Local govt 1 elected rep per 4000k people minimum. Details left up to the local govts. Maybe very big city councils. Maybe every 4k people elect aldermen who have limited power and every 20k people councilmen with more power. They get to decide!

State govt 1 elected rep per 20000k people minimum. Maybe they go tri-cameral to get that done. Maybe they have a really big house and a regular sized senate. Details left up to the state govts.

Territories (US and native) govts follow the same pattern re: local/state level representation. Also gets reg votes in lowest and middle house.

Advisory council 1 elected rep per 100000k people minimum 1. 2 year term

House 1 elected rep per 500000k people minimum 1. 4 year term

Senate 3 elected reps. 6 year term.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 4, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
*sips malt liquor beverage* nyone trying to do more damage to the crumbling industrial infrastructure that is my remit is going to have a bad day, just FYI

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

*sips malt liquor beverage* nyone trying to do more damage to the crumbling industrial infrastructure that is my remit is going to have a bad day, just FYI

Stay with me a moment, but -

what if we made the roads

out of GUNS

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Loel posted:

Stay with me a moment, but -

what if we made the roads

out of GUNS

You mean melt down all the guns I could get behind that especially as they're so often used to kill poor Libertopian citizens

Dramatically limited police powers bash the fash Libertopian Lives Matter

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

You mean melt down all the guns I could get behind that especially as they're so often used to kill poor Libertopian citizens

Dramatically limited police powers bash the fash Libertopian Lives Matter

Wow way to ruin a perfect world with your liberalism :colbert:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Loel posted:

Wow way to ruin a perfect world with your liberalism :colbert:

(OOC: you've seen the states I represent, right? Indiana can be as bass-ackwards as it wants it's not overcoming Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Detroit I'm just saying)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

(OOC: you've seen the states I represent, right? Indiana can be as bass-ackwards as it wants it's not overcoming Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Detroit I'm just saying)

OOC: Yeah, I looked up the polls for Tejas. We're uh .. we're not giving up guns.

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 5, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
OOC: I'm taking advantage of the lack of a formal history or explanation behind the convention to retcon why my regions taking the positions its taking.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

OOC: I'm taking advantage of the lack of a formal history or explanation behind the convention to retcon why my regions taking the positions its taking.

Surprise LaRouche coup

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Libertopia would also like to decree that, in regards to this country's most divisive issue, we stand with the esteemed representative from the Midlands in declaring that St. Louis BBQ is the superior BBQ. As we have no regional BBQ to speak of - though we do have the superior sandwich in the Cheesesteak, but none of that Whiz bullshit that's strictly a Philly thing, good luck with that poo poo RagnarokAngel, at least you've got chowdah and lobster to fall back on - we are forced to consider the issue strictly on matters of taste and St. Louis does a damned fine job.

RandomPauI posted:

OOC: I think the intention is "some wingnut governors made this happen, run with it but try to stick with your actual constituents' values," so I'm choosing to view my delegation as largely composed of BLM and OWS activists with the occasional stray millionaire industrialist thrown in and poor Indiana's delegation wondering why they're stuck with these lefty wingnuts so I'll have to throw them the occasional conservative sop to keep them from revolting.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 4, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OOC: I think the intention is "some wingnut governors made this happen, run with it but try to stick with your actual constituents' values,"

OOC: Well, there are a lot of policies I would like to get done but I know they'd be unrealistic even with the alt history I had in mind. Nat disasters + riots = WE WANT CHANGE which leads to the rise of a few populists.

I'm going to propose a national security amendment and would appreciate any suggestions. Here's what I have so far.

-Make a Fema+Coast Guard/nat guard type bastard child to handle nat disasters
-Uniform standards for policing and cooperation between local, state, fed agencies (ed: note. Discussions will paradoxically emphasize need for community policing AND a highly militarized police force. That won't be included in the amendment though, and the actual implementation will be left up to legislature.)
-Executive branch authorized to keep existing gun control programs, to track weapon use, movement, registry, but not authorized to implement any new programs for the next 10 years w/o congressional approval. Legislature prohibited from passing any new legislation on domestic weapons control without a 2/3rds vote. This will sunset after 10 years and cannot be renewed. (Yes, this is implementing the info tracking stuff before kicking the can down the road. It's also realistically doable.)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

OOC: Well, there are a lot of policies I would like to get done but I know they'd be unrealistic even with the alt history I had in mind. Nat disasters + riots = WE WANT CHANGE which leads to the rise of a few populists.

OOC Talk:

The time is now, present day. A mixture of right-wing conservative states in conjunction with deep-pocketed interests like the Kochs have joined with a few vindictive liberal states and gotten the necessary 38 states needed to call for a Constitutional Convention. The game is set in modern day, but for the sake of discussion, ignore that it is an election year (though certainly if you'd like to re-legislate how elections will be run, by all means do so!)

I'm a little leery of claiming too much in the way of Alternate History Proposals without guidance from the OP, honestly. That's not me trying to be a killjoy; if some of us have a vision of some sort of natural disasters (not picking on you RandomPaul, that's just the scenario you mentioned is all) leading to a shift in voting priorities while others of us don't, it's going to leave us without a whole lot in the way of common ground to negotiate and/or bargain. We'd all be reading from different scripts, you know?

If we have to have a divergent history to explain why we're having this convention - and I suspect we probably do - then I suggest we have as minimal a divergence as possible. My proposal is:

The 2008 Presidential Election proved even more divisive than expected, and a surge in Get Out The Vote efforts in key swing states by the Romney campaign led to a 269-269 tie in the Electoral College, sending the election to Congress, who - more in the interests of presenting a stable continuity of government in an attempt to calm a near-riotous population infuriated by this perceived failure of democracy than for partisan reasons, and led largely by a coalition of Congressmen that had either lost their bids for re-election or had retired - returned President Barack Obama for a second term. The Republican-controlled Congress proved even more hostile to the President's agenda than before, however, as newly-elected conservative Congressmen pulled even further right in backlash, leading the President to attempt to go around Congress with the use of Executive Orders. This federal overreach, combined with the sour taste left in many voters' mouths after 2008, led to a coalition of governors calling for a Constitutional Convention to be called.

This gets us mostly the present-day scenario except turned up to eleven, which I think is as good a reason for a convention as any, without diverging too far from the current-day political trends and ideals that are supposed to be informing our deliberations and votes.

Thoughts?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Works for me. Im operating under 'backlash against the Trump revolution' kind of thing, so that fits.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

there's probably a few of those right-wing conservative states that I'm supposed to be representing, but between Colorado and New Mexico we may be able to handle them.

The temptation to throw huge gently caress-yous at the Bundy family is intense

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OOC: I think the intention is "some wingnut governors made this happen, run with it but try to stick with your actual constituents' values,"
that was my hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
OOC: I like the sound of that.

• Locked thread