Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Count me in for NYC!

As a resident of Harlem and a turbo nerd, I feel qualified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Can I rely on you to not doxx the hell out of me, or should I use my SA-only bullshit cut-out e-mail?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Nah that was more me giving you a heads up that the e-mail address is going to be [myactualname]@gmail.

Super excited for this!

(O and I do have PMs if people want to talk to me.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Just for clarification, how silly/serious are we shooting for? I don't want to post serious policy while someone else posts dick butt or vice versa.

Also please PM me! I like ideas!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah....

I gotta be realistic and guns are something NYC will always vote against.

(I'm on a phone and will do a policy post similar to RandomPaul's next time I'm by a computer. Probably either tomorrow or Tuesday. Until then, any of my constituents are welcome to PM me or use my bullshit cut-out e-mail xiahoudunsa@gmail : that forwards to my real e-mail so I might not respond but I'll definitely read it.)

Is it weird that I'm super excited about this? This sounds really cool!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Aside from the status of where CT lies, My important issue as a resident of NYC/NE is this:

Mandatory service upon reaching the age of 18, but allow for service to be done through non military government institutions (Teach for America, Peace Corps, bring back the TVA, etc)

And fix the loving Tappan Zee already!! :argh:

They're actually halfway through building a brand new bridge right next to it. I pass it whenever I take Metro-North/am hideously and probably eventually fatally distracted by it whenever I drive across.

Also my current things to lobby for are (in no order and just to let my constituents know where I'm at) : infrastructure, universal rights, police reform, gun control, a real loving railway system god drat, education reform (especially at the college level ; your fault for letting an adjunct lecturer hold office), and some other poo poo that isn't springing to mind.

Full write-up on Tuesday when I'm in my office and not on a phone. Feel free to remind me of something I'm missing. Maybe selling Jersey to France????

O do we want to cross link to LAN threads, or will that just end in us all getting drowned in requests?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I wasn't going to lobby for "And the Q will extend to 103rd St for a convenient transfer from the 6", but meant more like "Public transport is a right and we're gonna make it happen, it is loving dumb that it's easier to go NYC>Albany>Boston than NYC>Boston (as an example), when all three are about equidistant and Albany is, well, you either know what I mean or have no idea where Albany is and I rest my point."

And this is two relatively well connected East Coast metro areas. NYC to Seattle, or gently caress Spokane, I might as well get hosed.

Also gun registration and licensing. And gently caress anything that isn't useful for hunting.

Yeah I think I'm getting my full NYC on.

(Showtime dancers will be drawn and quartered.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'll vote for all that so hard!

(Sorry, I was asleep.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

OOC : I got god drat slammed at work today so my policy statement is a half formatted google doc I made during lunch, sorry. Everyone else's intros have just been so good and I don't want to let you down. I'm doubling down on this and think it just keeps getting cooler, but I wasn't expecting this level of involvement so real-life poo poo I scheduled earlier than this thread was made is a temporary slog. I promise something tomorrow, even if it's not as good as I'd like!

That said, I do have a half week vacation next week starting on the afternoon of the 15th until that Sunday. I should still be able to follow the thread but I'll be phone posting. I'll be back in time to keep up but if there's some alternate in the wings I ain't know about I'd be happy to share.

PS if anyone knows good GIS search terms for an NYC as gently caress politician, please help. I have this idea in my head but I can't quite formulate it. Basically like sleazy but more liberal de Blasio???

PPS I thought I was a good GM but you guys are loving clowning on me with how good you are at this poo poo. God drat. Nice!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

(OOC : Sorry, first week of the semester and I got completely slammed!
P.S. I am an idiot and Loel was kind enough to post the only picture I could have ever used.)

My fellow delegates, it's an honor to be here to represent my district of NYC and surrounding areas at this constitutional convention. As the representative of such a populous and diverse area, it is my hope that we can come together to forge a new and progressive constitution that will help both my own constituents as well as the broader US population in the decades to come.

My main platforms are :

1) Expand and strengthen infrastructure throughout the nation. An often unmentioned ideal, and necessary subset of a population's ability to pursue liberty and happiness is freedom of movement, as well as access to such basic necessities as clean water, food, electricity, etc. Therefore, it is important that in light of new technologies that have been created since the original Constitutional Convention, that we enshrine such basic organizations as the Department of Transport and the Department of Energy as vital and basic parts of the federal government that can't be defunded on the whims of callous, spend-thrift politicians.

2) A complete over-haul of the 2nd Amendment in light of changes in weapons technology that the Founding Fathers could not have foreseen. When the 2nd Amendment was written, the idea of compact, automatic, smokeless-powder firearms being publicly available not only would have been unfathomable, it would've been nightmarish. While reasonable gun ownership should always be allowed, it should be subject not only to registration and licensing similar to if not stronger than that for motor vehicles or other dangerous equipment, but also subject to constraints on what sort of firearms should be available to private citizens.

3) Expanding and locking in funding for public media services. News and entertainment services such as PBS and NPR are a vital part of both keeping our nation informed, but also for keeping us connected via heartwarming traditional programming ; programs like Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and Car Talk were national treasures loved by both sides of the aisle. But more importantly, for-profit journalism is an inherently unstable medium, especially going forward into the age of the internet, and news organizations beholden to the government are constrained by their purse-strings to not give the kind of hard-hitting investigative journalism required by an informed public and electorate. Thus, I propose that funding for such services be constitutionally guaranteed so that both government funded programming and investigative journalism is de facto politically neutral and maximally informative, as such governmental media services would not have to worry about their funding being cut for publishing true but damaging stories.

4) Universal rights, especially for the LGBTQ community. Several of my colleagues have already gone over this, but it is vitally important that we have constitutional support in place for the safety of the rights of all individuals regardless of sex, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation. We should also reflect on our own rapidly changing culture to make sure that we are not merely updating what axes we fight discrimination on, but also keep it sufficiently free that we are accepting of other, future groups to be accepted in society and given those rights that are fundamental to all Americans.

5) Finally, while the specifics will be needed to be dealt with much later down the line by the legislature, I propose that we make sure that the Department of Education or a similar organization be explicitly part of the federal constitution in order to ensure that education, and the ability to pursue it, remain a fundamental part of of the rights of all citizens.

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to discussing these and other issues with, you, my colleagues, over the coming weeks and months.

(OOC : I'm not the best non-technical writer and I'm still trying to find my "voice" for this dude, so sorry if that sucked to read. TL;DR 1) Infrastructure gently caress yes 2) Coming for your guns 3) Make a US Broadcasting Company 4) Universal rights 5) Education reform.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I still think it's hilarious that I'm representing one of the most populous areas in the US and literally no one is harassing me.

I'm literally just a dude who lives in Harlem who happened to check out this thread early from when it was prepped in TG and sign up on a whim.

There's a political metaphor in there, I think.

(PS I'll be the weird one and vote for keeping the weird Old Timey English. I think it's cute and when it's a problem should just get a foot-note. Yeah. I'm That Guy. )

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I let you guys update the spelling so far, but drat it, we are keeping the Olde Tymey random Punctuation over My dead Body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

(PS I'll be the weird one and vote for keeping the weird Old Timey English. I think it's cute and when it's a problem should just get a foot-note. Yeah. I'm That Guy. )

Sorry, I guess I was being super unclear : This is NYC's tacit approval of the current version of Article I.

• Locked thread