Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm interested. I'll represent Cascadia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to be on vacation September 10-17, and probably won't have good access to internet, so if someone wants to volunteer is as a backup delegate for Cascadia while I'm out, that would be cool.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Solkanar512 posted:

Totally interested in being an alternate for Cascadia, but I'm certain Seiferguy has our best, teriyaki infused interests at heart.

Be my alternate for the week that I'm gone!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Here's some of the top issues facing Cascadia today:

Equal Housing: As many people find refuge in the west coast, the ability to find an affordable house has greatly diminished. This is causing serious gentrification in cities like Seattle, Portland and San Francisco. This forcing people to move out of the city. There needs to be a plan that's fair to all that allows people to live within the cities but not also create a massive housing shortage. That leads to the next point...

Comprehensive infrastructure: Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle are ranked 1, 2, and 4 in the worst traffic in America respectively. Part of this is due to a lack of alternative options besides roads roads and more roads. While alternative options exist, it's nowhere near acceptable, and plans to build up rail won't be ready anytime soon. In addition, our current highways are already failing.

LGBTQ* Rights: Cascadia is gay. Like, super gay. San Fran is the LGBTQ capital of the world, and we have a right as Americans to ensure that they maintain strong rights beyond marriage (equal employment / housing opportunities, banning of gay conversion therapy, etc etc.).

Free trade: Cascadia is on the coast, and port operations are a strong driver of economic activity. This is driven by trading with outside nations, and free trade is important to that. Also, activities like the Ex-Im bank help allow foreign countries to purchase our products.

Laws to support the tech sector: We have Silicon Valley, and require strong IP / patent laws to ensure our creations are made fairly and not stolen with ease.

Tribal Rights: Cascadia is home to many native tribes that struggle to maintain footing against the oppression of Americans. We need to ensure they maintain strong tribal sovereignty and access to government help to keep them afloat.

And last but not least...

Legalize weed: I don't give a hot g*y gently caress what congress says.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Loel posted:

3/6 Votes (RandomPaul, Cat_herder, Loel)
UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women
UN Convention on the Law of the Sea
UN International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights

1/6 Votes (Cat_herder)
Convention on Cluster Munitions
Ottawa Treaty
The Rome Statute

1/6 votes (cat_herder) random paul, seiferguy, xiahou dun?
Infrastructure mandate

Yay to all.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm a little tired and will come up with a nerd staff later. Anyway, here is Cascadia's top 5 proposals:

1) Revision of terms on congressmen (go from 2 year term to 4 years)
Congressmen serve 2 years and have to spend a lot of time campaigning for reelection. This is a costly venture and requires time spent campaigning and not listening to the delegates. I propose we revise terms from 2 to 4 years.

2) Redrawing of State lines: splitting Eastern Washington and Eastern Oregon to be absorbed by Idaho
Current state borders are not in line with how citizens want their tax dollars spent. For example, Washington State tax policy is heavily driven by taxes from Seattle, but statewide taxes are not aligned with the tech and aerospace sectors on the west side, and the agriculture on the right side. This goes the same for Oregon, which could have both Eastern borders become one with Idaho.

3) Expansion of statehood for DC / Puerto Rico
Self-explanatory.

4) Revising the National Anthem from the Star Spangled Banner to America the Beautiful
Seriously, the Star Spangled Banner is awful. Who picked it? America the Beautiful is much more patriotic :911:

5) Revision to the bill of rights to allow legalized marijuana federally
Legalize it, so that it may be made into a sin tax.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Loel posted:

Proposal Statehood is granted to DC, and Puetro Rico

4/6 Loel, RandomPaul, Cat_herder, Elmnt80

Yay.

quote:

Proposal In the event of presidential elections, the electoral votes shall be distributed by proportion of population. (Winning 53% of votes means winning 53% of electoral college,
effectively destroying the college)

Nay. The current Electoral College has it's benefits that were in place were for a reason. Cascadia cannot support this.

quote:

Proposal Voting districts at all levels shall be redistributed via algorithm for optimally compact and equal populations.

Yay.

quote:

Proposal Campaigning will be permitted three months prior to the election, and voting may begin two months prior. In this way, primaries would be six months before the general, with voting for the primary being 3-5 months prior to the general.

Yay. Election campaigning is too much stress on the American public.

quote:

Proposal Citizens United is overturned

Yay. A constitutional amendment to ban actions created by the CU decision is necessary.

quote:

Proposal After these changes take place at the next election, all federal appointee slots (judges et al) must be filled within 90 days of their vacancy. Should Congress fail to fill vacancies within 90 days, the executive branch reserves the right to fill vacancies in their stead. Clarification on some points will be written by RandomPaul

Undecided: does this cover Supreme Court judges?

quote:

Proposal Statehood is granted to Samoa, Guam, Mariana, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and Navaho

3/6 Loel, RandomPaul, Cat_herder

Nay, besides Puerto Rico (which is covered in my 1st vote alongside DC)

quote:

Proposal Voting shall be done via instant-run off method at all levels. (Schulze method)

3/6 Loel, RandomPaul, Cat_herder

Undecided. I'm unsure the general American public is smart enough to understand the Schulze method!

quote:

Proposal Abolish the Senate, all powers moved to the House

0/6

Nay. Are you kidding me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Just a heads up, I'm out with little to no Internet so I hope there's a delegate to help on my behalf!

• Locked thread